Help Needed to Setup a Home Theatre

dvdmk

Hello Friends,

I need to setup a Theatre in my Home , I have a budget of around 2 Lakhs ( maximum) . The problem is My room is only 10 feet * 13 feet , and the room has two doors on both the rear corners.

Is it possible to install a HT in this small room , I dont want to go for a HTIB .

kindly advice.

regards from David.

Hi,

David though its bit small but certainly not too small to have a good setup (actually if you see its blessing in disguise as you don't need to go for high powered stuff to cover the area !)

Noe could you please elaborate a bit more as to what exactly you are looking ? and whats your taste ? prefer more of music or movies ( yes you have said HTS,but still).

Regards.

Home Theatre Is Possibile In All Sort Of Budgets

David,

In all sort of budgets you can set up a home theatre, the saying is the more money you put, the more better you get, the lesser money you pump, lesser you get.

The room size is a good size, people have smaller to that, and they have set up a home theatre.

If there are two doors, you can catch up with damage control exercise.

Please put in efforts on this site, via quick find, etc, and you will have enough material to answer most of your respective questions, if you do not find some answers, the leading members on this site are there to take you forward.

Vinay.

Last edited:
thanks Vinay and Soundsgreat.

I already have a stereo setup , so i want exactly a HT , which i will be using only for Movies. What i had in mind was a Mordaunt Short Genie package and a Marantz Receiver and DVD player. but if i find somethig better then these , i will go for it.

regards

David.

Hi,

See thats exactly why I asked whats the scenario !!

Now for a dedicated movie theater kinda thing,you are better off with an Denon or an Yamaha then the Marantz ( said time and again ! will say it now),the models that you should be looking are denon 3808,4308 ( bit costly but you can bargain or try to scout for it in grey),Yamaha models are 2700 and 3800 !!

For the speakers you can choose from the one's you've mentioned or try the wharfedale diamond 9 series or quad L-ite package (tough its bookshelf package but very very good one ) or even Monitor Audio seems to be a good choice !!

Regards.

Denon - Monitor Audio (Tower Speakers)

Hi,

See thats exactly why I asked whats the scenario !!

Now for a dedicated movie theater kinda thing,you are better off with an Denon or an Yamaha then the Marantz ( said time and again ! will say it now),the models that you should be looking are denon 3808,4308 ( bit costly but you can bargain or try to scout for it in grey),Yamaha models are 2700 and 3800 !!

For the speakers you can choose from the one's you've mentioned or try the wharfedale diamond 9 series or quad L-ite package (tough its bookshelf package but very very good one ) or even Monitor Audio seems to be a good choice !!

Regards.

I will toe the line with soundsgreat, i am having Denon & Monitor Audio.

Please be guided that by buying the av equipments, it will not make the home theatre complete, there are many other factors which have to be considered like cables for the equipments, etc.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Hello Vinay and soundsgreat,

I am Planning around Rs.50000/- for the room acoustics, but i dont know where to start. i also dont know wheather this amount is sufficient for acoustics, that too after seeing Vinays setup , i think i cant even buy a recliner for that amount. but i dont have options .......thats the final amount i can spend on acoustics. and rs.2,00,000/- for the av equipments and cables.
regards

david.

David,

I believe treating your room acoustically is the least you can do towards making the listening a wonderful experience. It does come with its own cost, but worth the investment, I would say.

You can find some really good guidelines from these links-

lavigneroom

gordon room

asc

I see that you have a reasonably small room, so going for the higher models like 4308 will be overkill. If you are particular about Denon, then imo you would be well off with 2808 - or may be a similar model from Onkyo.

Best Regards.

Last edited:

I am Planning around Rs.50000/- for the room acoustics, but i dont know where to start. i also dont know wheather this amount is sufficient for acoustics, that too after seeing Vinays setup , i think i cant even buy a recliner for that amount. but i dont have options .......thats the final amount i can spend on acoustics. and rs.2,00,000/- for the av equipments and cables.
regards

david.

David,

I have spent around 3 lacs on acoustic treatment, how i have done this treatment, it is there for you to see on this site.

The recliner which i have got is pure leather, and it is world's number one brand, the cost is 72,000 bucks, but one can get recliners for around 25,000/- bucks onwards.

I have spent on cables around 1 lac rupees.

Since these costs are not in your buy range, please request other members to give you cheaper ways out.

Please put in efforts on this site, via quick find, etc, and you will have enough material. Furthermore in forums there is my audio video set up, over there also you will find enough material.

I must add that your total budget of 2,50,000/- is fine, everyone has a budget, there will be someone whose budget is 1 crore rupees, i can not spend such amount, all we can do is live by our budget, so please do not think a lot, get the ball moving in a phased manner.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Accoustic

Unleash, the links on accoustic, were mind blowing, this is what passion all about, rarely would someone in India, go to such a extent.

Vinay.

regards

david.

David

Thats a right you are on to...
Room acoustics, are really worthy when it comes to HT...

And as per me after that going for Denon-3808, will be out of your budget...
Though it would have been great with 3808, but cant help it...
Anyways, go for Denon-2808, instead, with the MRP of Rs.75K, and you can club them with Avant 906i as Fronts, and Wharfedale 9.2 as rear speakers, for Center there are many choices, and for Subwoofer you can go for Polk SW500...

Guyz, please dont kick me, off, as what i have suggested is as per his budget for Rs.70K for speaker, as he even would be going in for Cables as well, for which i have kept Rs.5K...

So total will come to Rs.2L...

Adventure At It's Best

David

Thats a right you are on to...
Room acoustics, are really worthy when it comes to HT...

And as per me after that going for Denon-3808, will be out of your budget...
Though it would have been great with 3808, but cant help it...
Anyways, go for Denon-2808, instead, with the MRP of Rs.75K, and you can club them with Avant 906i as Fronts, and Wharfedale 9.2 as rear speakers, for Center there are many choices, and for Subwoofer you can go for Polk SW500...

Guyz, please dont kick me, off, as what i have suggested is as per his budget for Rs.70K for speaker, as he even would be going in for Cables as well, for which i have kept Rs.5K...

So total will come to Rs.2L...

In my wildest dreams for whatever the reasons may be, i would never go for such a spread, hands of hritek roshan, legs of amitabh bachan, chest of salman khan, face of fardeen khan and nails of ashwirya rai bachan.

I will like to see if other members can agree to this combination, which i doubt.

Vinay.

HAHAHAHAHA Vinay that would be one funny looking guy with all those attributes.
Mridul am not much of an HT guy(vinay thats the reason i have still not accepted ur invite and come and seen ur set up) but why would u opt for such a cocktail of speakers. Maybe the guy will be better served looking at a complete package from any of the above mentioned brands. Since the requirement is purely movies the Denon suggested seems more than fair.
Regards

Vinay, glad you took some time out to check out the links, its a lengthy one, but worth investing some time as I found it very informative and go back to it very often for reference. Anyone serious about acoustics and room treatment can benifit from those links.

I cant see the point why ppl are mentioning polk:rolleyes:. Of all their models around, the only one even worth mentioning is the LSi series - and that unfortunately is out of the budget of many.

In David's case, I believe he can do much better than the Avants or the Diamonds since he got a decent budget to start with - also considering, many who start up with a good budget very often over shoot it by quite a big margin:cool: Thats the way of life!

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Passion

Vinay, glad you took some time out to check out the links, its a lengthy one, but worth investing some time as I found it very informative and go back to it very often for reference. Anyone serious about acoustics and room treatment can benifit from those links.

In David's case, I believe he can do much better than the Avants or the Diamonds since he got a decent budget to start with - also considering, many who start up with a good budget very often over shoot it by quite a big margin:cool: Thats the way of life!

Best Regards.

Unleash, i read the acoustic article by skipping paragraphs, i would love to read these articles at length, actually these articles are mainly for people who are going to make a expensive home theatre and they have a great passion.

About the budgets while making a theatre and related, you are right, the plane most of the times over shoots the runway, in my case the plane not only over shooted the runway, the tyres also bursted because the original budget was 5/7 lacs, while it shot to cross 20 lacs, these av equipments can end you up with trousers without pockets.

Cigrattes are injurious to your health, making theatres are injurious to your bank balance.

Vinay.

Last edited:
David,

I have a similar sized viewing area of 10x13 in a L shaped living room, with a full glass door on side. Saving grace for me was that there is a wall behind the sitting area, so I could mount bipolar speakers for the surround effect. I'm running a 5.1 setup, with Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers and a Yamaha 661 receiver.

1) start with laying out the room i.e. where will the TV and front speakers be, where do you intend to put the seats, and how much space do you have behind the seats and the rear wall.

2) you mentioned there are two door at the rear corners ? Are these wooden ? Do you have an option to either close permanently or remove/wall one of them ?

3) Are you willing to use floor standers at the rear or stands ? Will this fit aesthetically / practically into your room ?

4) If there is a full wall behind, you can think of using downwards firing bipolars to get a good surround effect. Else put the bipolars on the side walls and forward firing satellite / bookshelves behind.

5) Most receivers today come with 7.1 channels. Decide wether you want to setup a 7.1 or 5.1 system. Bear in mind that most DVDs come in 5.1 format ( atleast those available in India ). Having said that, a 7.1 receiver can still be configured to give additional effects or simulated 7 channels. Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha are good choice for Movies.

6) Do you already have a TV/LCD or intend to buy one as part of the HT. ? a 40/42 inch LCD is ideal for a 10feet viewing distance.

7) Speakers: There is a wide variety of speakers available at different price points. Audition and decide what you want. Mordaunt Short/KEF IQ5 /Wharfedale / Acoustic Energy are good options.

8) Speaker cabling is important. Ideally you should spend upto 5 to 8% of your budget on speaker cabling.

Hope this helps.

cheers!

Hi
You shld chk out the B&W HT packages that are on offer till the end of june - unbeatable pricing and their store at juhu is just out of the world. You will get a lot of idea on acoustics as well once u visit their store.
Not to forget to have the coffee though !!!
:)
Mickey

Cocktail Juice

Buddies...

The reason for allocating the hands off legs off face off etc etc...
was because of the budget and performance...

Mridul has got good knowledge so he can do the mix and match, but most of the members, including me, are not experienced, we could die of shock by doing this mix and match, so all we understand is buy the gear under one brand, that is a another story that i doubt if it would be a wise move, to do such a massive mix and match.

Dinyaar, i do not think that is a good reason for not coming at my place to see my home theatre, my knowledge is much lesser than yours, yes indeed i have gained a fair knowledge in making a dedicated home theatre.

Vinay.

Sorry guys for not replying all these days,

My net was not working ( maybe due to rain ) .

Well to start with i am planning to go for the acoustic treatment first as Vinay suggested. and then the receiver and the speakers . I am looking for a standmounts or satillites with a decent sub. i dont think recliners will fit my room and my budget. and as for the LCD i am planning for a 32 inches,

David.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back