Help needed to setup my HTiB

hemchandran

Hi, i will be getting my yamaha yht -597 shortly, which contains yamaha rx-v473 and yamaha 5.1 speaker system. i have seen many posts in the forum where the left,centre,right speakers are placed very close to the TV. Is it necessary to do. Is there any optimum distance calculation regarding these speaker placements.......

Last edited:
Hi hemchandran,

whatever speaker system, whether a surround 5.1 (or greater) or a simple stereo set-up (2.0), all needs to be placed properly and with care getting utmost out of them -> precise reproduction of the source (ie CD, DVD).

What you've seen/described in common is imho rather a compromise in the favour of WAF and far away of a precise reproduction.

The room you place speakers is dominating and accordingly speakers claiming their positions, there is no "give-and-take".

You can calculate optimum distances between listerns position and speakers, general guidance is surely available here in this forum, however, clarify for your self what has priority. However, provide some more details and we can bring ya closer to the optimum...

And this is my temporary selection for placing my speakers. Please suggest the optimum speaker placements and whether the setup i have shown will be good

http://

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. The height of the wall would be 11 feet....

The front left and right speakers should be at least 2' away from the side walls and should be pointing inwards towards the listening position.They should be placed at a height besides the TV such as the top of the speaker should be at the ear level of the listener when sitting at the listening spot.

The centre speaker can be close to and below the TV.

The sub-woofer can be placed at the corner of the wall where the tv is placed.

The surround left and right speakers can be fixed on the wall besides the listening position but at least 1.5' to 2.0' above.

Happy listening, my 2 cents

Hem, Place the L and R channels as wide as possible to get the sense of sound movement. Ideally space requirement is 6 ft seperation, anything more is a plus for the setup. remember to setup the back speakers accordingly.

The front left and right speakers are too high in the plan you posted. Place the front speakers at your ear level when seated. Since you have a door, the distance between the speakers will not be much, but its better than placing them so high. You can refer to Dolby's speaker placement guide for more info - Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

If you cannot place the front speakers lower, then point the speakers downward towards the listening position.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back