Help needed with Home theater setup

Hi Warrior,
All good choices.
Could you please crop the original floor plan to show what the HT dimensions alone are?
Will help hugely in other FMs guiding you right.

They are all on the same ball ball park.
The MLs have a very airy top end thanks to their folded motion tweeters, but that then brings a midrange issue, especially in a bookshelf.

Was very difficult to find a KEF 301 for audition, but the ML were very tinny.
In my search, one thing I realised was this: A slightly boxy on-wall almost always sounds better than a thin on-wall irrespective of the tech used.
So, you could try the XTZ on-wall boxes, MA Radius 225 (which i finally went with) or the Totem Tribe. Paradigm (not the Millenia) has a boxy on-wall I have heard good things about, as does PSB. I'd suggest give both their thin on-walls a skip.

The Klipsch RP-XXX-D series and the GoldenEar SuperSats are also a good option. Since you are in Hyd, I can tell you the Klipsch prices by the Hyd dealer is the lowest I have come across major cities.

Alternatively, you could look at (slightly more expensive) backboxed in-walls, if you are planning the room from scratch.

Finally, give a thought to satellites of any decent brand: QA 30XX, Paradigm Cinema, SVS, MA 45s, Oberons, etc...

Choose the Centre after you have chosen a brand. Try a three-way, if the brand-same series has one.
Alternatively, choose the best sounding three-way centre first, since you say this is an HT. And then get their matching L-Rs of your choice.

Ditto. Choose last after you have locked LCRs.

Ideally, same brand/series/family, but could be anything within your budget.
Only thing I would suggest are these two:
1. Best option is a tweeter within a woofer, where the whole unit can pivot according to your seating position.
2. If that is out of budget, at least a tweeter that can pivot.

From auditions, I'd suggest give the SVS and the MLs a skip, and go with one of the RELs that will fill your room.
You should also check out the Rythmiks.
One major thing, if the room is open to other areas, then you will need some kind of bass management.
If the room is enclosed, eyes shut go with sealed. (This I say from personal experience)

Since you don't want to change the AVR in the near future, definitely 3700 or the equivalent Marantz/Onkyo/Yamaha.

Trust this helps.

One last thing, all these options you have mentioned, are you sure they are coming within 2.2L?
If you want to strictly stick to the budget, I's suggest the following, +- depending on availability/dealer:
AVR: 3700 (1.1L-1.3L)
Sub: 1003 (.6L)
LCR: Taga OW80s or any good satellite of your choice within budget.

Sur and ceiling/heights can be a later upgrade.

Also, please do mark off the HT area in that layout and attach pic again.
Will help everyone suggest better.
All the best with your journey.
Regards
Thanks for the detailed response. Attached the HT setup place only as suggested.

I was under an impression that only Bookshelf as Front left and right would suit me and that floor standing speakers are like an overkill for the place i have. But when i auditioned on-wall speakers like KEF T301, i felt great clarity but they had some sharpness and much of treble.
However when i auditioned Martin logan motion SLM XL ones, they sounded great like the premium KEF speakers but then that is going out of my budget.

Can you pls share the details of the good hyderabad dealers? I also need some wiring support and the ones i met want me to lock down some order to even talk about the wiring etc., My interiors are going on and am unable to proceed with false ceiling as there is a locking here.

Am finally leaning towards below - I also want to invest more in Center, sub and Fronts rather than surrounds and ceiling.

At my place, KEF Q350 comes at 800 USD/Hr as a pair, I want to go for Q750 floor standing to avoid stands, but not sure if its going to cause problems with neighbours and it also comes more than 1750 $
Q650 comes at 805 USD/hr
Q150 surrounds come at 700 USD/Hr.

If i look at wharfedele, that also comes at minimum 580 $ (Pair for fronts) and is in the same range.
Other speakers like emotiva also fall in range of 650 USD+.

Dalis' are bit economical for me and am considering Oberon 3 bookshelves with center channel from either Emotiva C1+ or Dali Vokal oberon.

Even SVS PB-1000 Pro comes at 1450 $
SVS SB-1000 Pro comes at 1200$.
Denon X3700H comes at 1700 USD/Hr.

These are exorbitant prices but that is the case for all the high end speakers. Messed up i guess and i want some good quality HT for my living room.

Also question, my flat is concrete based. No wall sharing side ways with neighbors but up and below yes. Would a floorstanding speaker cause issues w.r.to sound sensitivity?

The square dimension by itself shouldn't be a problem here, cos the room is open to the left of the picture.
But you will definitely need to manage the bass.

And, your Right Front (9-side) will have a lot of reflections, and the Left Front (open side) will have wide dispersion without any reflections.
I suspect the AVR's room correction will try to address it, but it might still result in some unevenness at listening position.

Could you have a divider or a sliding door of some kind along the blue line?

Also, how are you planning to place the Front Right and the Surround Left speakers?
Regards
I was inclined towards bookshelves but now looking at placement issues of them, want to consider floorstanding. But would they cause issue with neighbors? I dont share wall sideways but up and below yes - Dali oberon 5 or KEF Q750s

I was inclined towards bookshelves but now looking at placement issues of them, want to consider floorstanding. But would they cause issue with neighbors? I dont share wall sideways but up and below yes - Dali oberon 5 or KEF Q750s
If it is a concrete building, it should be around 18 inches or two feet of poured concrete. And a very faint bassy thump will escape to the floor below nonetheless.
Please check the building plan once.

This is down to the subwoofer and the low frequencies it emits. The main speakers, which you will anyway crossover around 60 Hz to 80 Hz, do not disturb the neighbours.

Even the subwoofer problem can be worked around with some kind of isolation + understanding with the downstairs neighbours.

Some AVRs have some kind of night mode, LF control as well, which you can use for late night use at your home.

Floor isolation is the final (and very expensive) option for total peace.

Final Configs being planned. Pls check and suggest if this is fine

Rear Surrounds -> Dali Oberon On-Wall or KEF T101 On wall or Martin Logan Motion 4i (Inclining towards KEF for cheaper option)
Ceiling Atmos ->Q Acoustics QI 80C or Polk Audio RC80i or Monitor Audio C165
Sub -> SVS PB-1000 Pro or Martin logan Dynamo 800x or REL Acoustics HT/1205 -> Can also consider SVS SB 1000 Pro considering compact sub
AVR -> Denon X2700H

Above is common for any options below.

Option 1 -> Bookshelves
LR -> Dali Oberon 3 or KEF Q350
Center -> Emotiva C1+ (Not sure about the timbre matching and tonal checks) - Just going based on reviews of C2+ and this being a 3 way center. Alternatively can go for 2 way Dali oberon Vokal or 2.5 way KEF Q650
-> Total comes at around between 5000-5200 USD including surrounds, ceiling, sub and AVR

Option 2 -> Floorstanders
LR -> Dali Oberon 5 or KEF Q550
Center -> 2 way Dali oberon Vokal or KEF Q650

-> Total comes at around between 5400-5600 USD including surrounds, ceiling, sub and AVR
Dali LCR setup with common surrounds above -> 5500 USD
KEF LCR Setup with common surrounds above -> 5850 USD

Dear all,
I will stick to 5.1.2 only and will opt for ceilings. But is there any guide for placement w.r.to positions and installations? I am trying to get these from dealer and they are charging freight, consultation and installation charges hugely and i want to avoid.

I am opting out Dali and others and have almost closed in below options considering service as well in my area. Also one question - u have given yellow highlighted one for subwoofer and that is possible here but need to check. Any reason to not place subwoofer on the other side of the TV unit where in we are open to the living room? Am opting for a sealed sub only to avoid rumbling of the woofer as its an apartment. Either SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL HT1205. Which one is better for clean accurate and punchy bass? Also do i need a power conditioner? Will use Belkin Surge protector anyways.

Pls also look at below options now as i got to know about Monitor Audio and heard great things from Dealer. For my requirement, am thinking of Bookshelves as of now.

Option 1 -> Bookshelves (KEF or Monitor Audio)
LR -> KEF Q350 or MA Silver 100 7G
Center -> 2.5 way KEF Q650 or 3 Way MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Wharfedele WH-DFS or KEF T101
Ceiling Atmos ->Q Acoustics QI 80C or Polk Audio RC80i or Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 -> Dont want Huge sub as i need compact sub which is enough for the room size with right and punchy bass.
AVR -> Denon X2700H or Marantz SR5015 (Dealers recommending Marantz SR6015 or Denon X4700H/X3700H claiming to give best prices)

Total price for KEF setup as above -> 4400 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)
Total price for MA setup as above -> 4850 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)

Option 2 -> Floorstanders (KEF or Monitor Audio)
LR -> KEF Q550 or MA Silver 200 &G
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 -> Dont want Huge sub as i need compact sub which is enough for the room size with right and punchy bass.
AVR -> Denon X2700H or Marantz SR5015 (Dealers recommending Marantz SR6015 or Denon X4700H/X3700H claiming to give best prices)

Total price for KEF setup as above -> 4800 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)
Total price for MA setup as above -> 5800 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)

Hi Warrior,
All chosen options are good. Only thing is, you could push the budget a bit, go for the 3700/60xx as pre-outs will be of major help should you ever feel the need for additional power.
A few other points inline:
Dear all,
I will stick to 5.1.2 only and will opt for ceilings. But is there any guide for placement w.r.to positions and installations? I am trying to get these from dealer and they are charging freight, consultation and installation charges hugely and i want to avoid.

I am opting out Dali and others and have almost closed in below options considering service as well in my area. Also one question - u have given yellow highlighted one for subwoofer and that is possible here but need to check. Any reason to not place subwoofer on the other side of the TV unit where in we are open to the living room? Am opting for a sealed sub only to avoid rumbling of the woofer as its an apartment. Either SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL HT1205. Which one is better for clean accurate and punchy bass? Also do i need a power conditioner? Will use Belkin Surge protector anyways.

Pls also look at below options now as i got to know about Monitor Audio and heard great things from Dealer. For my requirement, am thinking of Bookshelves as of now.

Option 1 -> Bookshelves (KEF or Monitor Audio)
LR -> KEF Q350 or MA Silver 100 7G
Either bookshelf will work really well in your room. You don' need to look any further.

You don't really need a three-way if the seating is going to be that sofa in your original drawing.
You can downgrade to the smaller two-way Silver or keep the KEFs if you want a KEF system.

Since you are keeping it to only five ear-level speakers, the Wharfdale, being a bipole, will work.
But to even enjoy the full impact of rear speakers, you need to pull the couch at least three feet into the room.

Go for the cheapest among the above three. Many FMs have the same Polks for ceiling and are very happy.

Am partial to the REL. But best to audition and decide for yourself.

Like I said above, try for either the 3700 or the 6015 as it will give you the option of adding amplification in the future should you feel the need.

Total price for KEF setup as above -> 4400 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)
Total price for MA setup as above -> 4850 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)

Option 2 -> Floorstanders (KEF or Monitor Audio)
LR -> KEF Q550 or MA Silver 200 &G
You really don't need these two floorstanders in that space.

Finally, where do you live, since you mention dollar prices? Most places abroad have a returns policy, so you could even try all of them out in your home before returning the product you are not impressed with.

All the best

Hi Warrior,
All chosen options are good. Only thing is, you could push the budget a bit, go for the 3700/60xx as pre-outs will be of major help should you ever feel the need for additional power.
A few other points inline:

Either bookshelf will work really well in your room. You don' need to look any further.

You don't really need a three-way if the seating is going to be that sofa in your original drawing.
You can downgrade to the smaller two-way Silver or keep the KEFs if you want a KEF system.

Since you are keeping it to only five ear-level speakers, the Wharfdale, being a bipole, will work.
But to even enjoy the full impact of rear speakers, you need to pull the couch at least three feet into the room.

Go for the cheapest among the above three. Many FMs have the same Polks for ceiling and are very happy.

Am partial to the REL. But best to audition and decide for yourself.

Like I said above, try for either the 3700 or the 6015 as it will give you the option of adding amplification in the future should you feel the need.

You really don't need these two floorstanders in that space.

Finally, where do you live, since you mention dollar prices? Most places abroad have a returns policy, so you could even try all of them out in your home before returning the product you are not impressed with.

All the best

Thanks a lot. I am from India and mentioned dollar prices for reference as they are like that at our place in local currency. There is also NO return policy. Sad place for variety and entertainment when it comes to options i guess. We pay very much for such desires.

I will be closing on the bookshelves of KEF or MA Silver. Unfortunately for rear effects, i cant bring the sofa from the wall due to lack of space. Instead of wharfedele Bipole, any other you recommend?

Will try for REL but no place here to audition, even that comes at 1420$ - Will pick up this or SVS.
Heard SVS PB-1000 and hence wanted to go for SVS SB-1000 Pro as its compact and am going to use it in an apartment only.

Also reg AVR, because i would probably not go for 9.2 X3700H though i like it, as it comes at around at-least 550$ more than X2700H and SR6015 comes at around 400$ more.

Pls suggest if SR6015 is worth it because in near time, i might not go beyond 5.1.2

Last edited:
After much thought and having personally heard, have decided below config as i have decided with Monitor Audio Silver 300 series, the floor standers. The sound seemed nice to me and i liked it.

LR -> MA Silver 300 7G Floor standers
Center -> MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Monitor Audio Bronze FX or Wharfedele WH-DFS
Ceiling Atmos -> Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 or Ascendo Sv-12 or Sunfire HRS 10
AVR -> Denon X2700H or X4700H only if there is a power need to be confirmed

Am also planning to just go with 5.0.2 for now as the 300 series have some bass with them and i cant afford that sub immediately.

Kindly suggest if this makes sense

After much thought and having personally heard, have decided below config as i have decided with Monitor Audio Silver 300 series, the floor standers. The sound seemed nice to me and i liked it.

LR -> MA Silver 300 7G Floor standers
Center -> MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Monitor Audio Bronze FX or Wharfedele WH-DFS
Ceiling Atmos -> Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 or Ascendo Sv-12 or Sunfire HRS 10
AVR -> Denon X2700H or X4700H only if there is a power need to be confirmed

Am also planning to just go with 5.0.2 for now as the 300 series have some bass with them and i cant afford that sub immediately.

Lions share of amount is going into LCR and receiver along with Sub. So it doesnt help if i park the others but will prioritize LCR, sub and AVR. Coming to X3700H, it is coming almost at near price at my price with some 135$ difference due to not being sold like X2700H or X3700H. Hence dealers are telling me to go with x4700H as more discounts are there and also more powerful. Shall i take it or stick to x3700H and save 135$?

Also my brother is taking the same silver 300 but wants to stick to X2700H due to budget constraints. Will it be enough? If so, can i also take the same for 5.1.2? Kindly suggest if this makes sense

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back