Help on DACs

blueturtle

Hello Everyone,

Looking for guidance and/or recommendations on the following DACs to be primarily used with PS3 and Squeezebox Touch.

1. CA DacMagic or MF V-DAC
2. PS Audio Digital Link III or Xindak DAC-5 or DAC-8

Amp will be Naim Nait XS with Neat Motive 2 or Spendor A5.

Thank you in advance.

Hi:

Why not Beresford Caiman ? - I hope Stan ships to SA. Ok, from your list, I'd lean on CA DacMagic, and please don't bother about V-Dac, IMO.

And, how's your amp + speaker hunt going on ?

:)

blueturtle, there are lot of choices for DAC's. So, to decide it would be better if you can tell us certain things:
1. would you be using it with a computer - as in would you need USB. Or how about wireless?
2. would you by any chance need a headphone amp in the DAC. You will have one in Naim but still , just in case.
3. what is the source that will feed this DAC - a CD player or DVD player . Would you need multiple inputs.
4. budget - looks like with PS and Xindak its around 700 dollars.
5. Sound signature that you would prefer and system synergy.

Now, from my experience having heard the CA Dacmagic and the Beresford 7510, I would say while these are good, to match the Naim and the Spendors you need to go to the PS Audio league. So, you can drop the MF too. Incase you are keen on the MF then actually they are coming up with a new M1 dac with balanced out etc which might be more of a match.
PS Audio has been reviewed very favorably. But in general I read them to be a more warm sounding dac. I have heard the Naim 5i , not the XS. I found it to be actually on the warmish side though the older Naim's are generally on the brighter side. Spendors are warm again. Neat are not warm and also have similar strengths as Naim and hence they match well with Naim. I would think that Naim and Spendor would be a little too warm for me and adding a warmish PS Audio will not help it. With PS Audio the Neat might work better than Spendor. But, please understand that these are mere speculations as I have not heard many of these components.
I would just like to point that the sound signature of the DAC has to have the synergy with the rest of the components. If you want a slightly more forward sounding and a punchy DAC to go along with the Naim and Neat, I would say Stello DA100 would be a better choice.

Hello Everyone,

Looking for guidance and/or recommendations on the following DACs to be primarily used with PS3 and Squeezebox Touch.

1. CA DacMagic or MF V-DAC
2. PS Audio Digital Link III or Xindak DAC-5 or DAC-8

Amp will be Naim Nait XS with Neat Motive 2 or Spendor A5.

Thank you in advance.

How about a NOS DAC with the Spendors?

Sridhar,
I also thought of Peter Daniel's DAC. I am assuming you also had the same in your mind. But was not sure about NOS + Naim + Spendors. I am sure NOS and Spendor will go well. But do you think Naim would be the right match then.

hi............avoid CA.you can go for xindak pretty good stuff.

You are displaying a lot of passion but don't have facts supporting the assertion why the OP should avoid CA. Could you care to explain why? Otherwise, you are not adding much value in your suggestion at all.

Hi:

Why not Beresford Caiman ? - I hope Stan ships to SA. Ok, from your list, I'd lean on CA DacMagic, and please don't bother about V-Dac, IMO.

And, how's your amp + speaker hunt going on ?

Many thanks for such a quick response. Much, overwhelmed by the various responses in less than 24 hours of the posting. Truly, shows the abundanance of AV knowledge of the forum members.

VD: Auditioned NM2 with the XS and was impressed a lot. However, the dealer will also import the Spendor A5 so he suggested to try it as well before making the final decision. Hopefully, someone on this forum can guide me on this as well please?

1. would you be using it with a computer - as in would you need USB. Or how about wireless? Not necessarily, but having an option will not hurt??

2. would you by any chance need a headphone amp in the DAC. You will have one in Naim but still , just in case. Again, not necessarily. I use iGrado with iPod classic and Grado SR80 with NAD C352.

3. what is the source that will feed this DAC - a CD player or DVD player . Would you need multiple inputs. Primarily, PS3 Slim 250GB and SB Touch and occassional Samsung DVD.

4. budget - looks like with PS and Xindak its around 700 dollars. Yes, the PS is USD 700 at Amazon, Xindak DAC5 is USD 500 and Xindak DAC8 is USD 650.

Thanks Gopi.

Auditioned NM2 with the XS and was impressed a lot. However, the dealer will also import the Spendor A5 so he suggested to try it as well before making the final decision.

BT:

That's great news on the NM2 + XS pairing, and glad you liked it. Your dealer is spot on about the A5, IMO, better than the A6. Will be glad to hear what you think of A5 + XS pairing also after your audition.

hi............avoid CA.you can go for xindak pretty good stuff.you want basic think of V-dac.............

Can you please elaborate a little more on the Xindak DAC5 vs DAC8? Unable to find helpful user reviews on these two? If you have used any of them can you please share your experience vs the PS Audio? Thanks.

Thanks VD: But the dealer was also trying to convince me that the XS will match beautifully with MA's new RX6 and even Ikon 6. Now, I belive MA and Ikons are available in India so what do you think? Also, would like to hear more from forum members on the Spendors (price, bombay dealer etc.) please.

The dealer was also trying to convince me that the XS will match beautifully with MA's new RX6 and even Ikon 6. Now, I belive MA and Ikons are available in India so what do you think?

BT:

Your dealer is spot-on again on the XS + MA RX6 pairing; various dealers in UK also suggest Naim pairing for the new RX6. Actually, the reason being the new RX6 is a lot more toned down on the treble site and the technology of the MA GS60 being trickled down to the new RX6, making the RX6 even more exciting. I'd suggest you to audition this pairing also before taking the plunge, just in case.

Regarding the XS + Ikon 6, your dealer is wrong this time, so please don't bother; it's the same case also for the XS + MA RS6 pairing.

OK - I am new to the DAC world but got the bug after hearing a friend's system with the little MF V-DAC and Squeezebox Classic. Thought it was a beautiful experience; simply more of everything in the music (deeper bass, in-our-face voices, pronounced drums - specially hi-hat, ride cymbals could be identified easily).

Oh yes, I already get a preety good soundstage with my Nait XS (v/s the earlier NAD C352 and then Arcam Solo Music experience).

So, my thinking was that "perpahs" I too would get a much wider soundstage by adding an external DAC. Now, my question is "will this really make a big difference?"

I also understand many XS owners talk of enhanced soundstage and dynamics by adding external powersupplies from Teddy Prado, Sonic Bliss and Avondale etc.

So, I am utterly confused as to what might be a better VFM option - PSU vs DAC?????

Any expert guidance/directions from the valued forum members is earnestly requested PLEASE......

BT:

Your dealer is spot-on again on the XS + MA RX6 pairing; various dealers in UK also suggest Naim pairing for the new RX6. Actually, the reason being the new RX6 is a lot more toned down on the treble site and the technology of the MA GS60 being trickled down to the new RX6, making the RX6 even more exciting. I'd suggest you to audition this pairing also before taking the plunge, just in case.

Regarding the XS + Ikon 6, your dealer is wrong this time, so please don't bother; it's the same case also for the XS + MA RS6 pairing.

Thanks again VD for the valuable guidance.

bluturtle,
I think personally Neat Motive and Spendor a class above the MA RX6 and Dali Ikon 6. So, if you liked Neat Motive then thats good. Obviously I would be worried to ship some speakers from there to India. RX6(Rs 80ish k) and Dali Ikon 6(Rs 70ish k) here in India to give an idea. Can you describe the sound signature of Naim + NM2 when you heard. What was the source at that time - the cd player used.

On DAC, my vote is for MF V Dac. It is very smooth and sweet sounding. It suits my music tastes.

I have not yet heard a Dac or a CD player (irrespective of price) with such a rich and detailed midrange.

A very good value for money product.

blueturtle,
just saw your post about PSU vs DAC. You need a great source for that system of yours. Period. Without that the worlds best PSU can't do anything. So, for your PS3 or SB Touch to match the remaining system you need a DAC. I would strongly recommend that before you try any further tweaks like PSU or cables etc;

Thanks again VD:

That's what I was expecting to hear, simply bcoz PSU's cost as much as DACs and some even more.

Considering the above recommendations, short listed the Xindak DAC-8 and PS Audio Digital Link III. Have quotes of US$ 680 for the Xindak DAC8, USD 480 for DAC5 and UAD 1200 4270 for the PS Audio from a local dealer in KSA. From the literature, the Xindak DAC8 seems a better VFM option vs DAC5? If I must go for the PS Audio then a friend can get it from USA for USD 700. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

By the way, I often use the PS3 for Audio CD playback. Besides, all my digital music is highest quality Apple Loseless and for MP3 it's got to be 320.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back