Help on DACs

I don't know if the Paypal issue with India is resolved, but there isn't any with SA as far as I know.
What that means is in case you decide to try out the Beresford Caiman you would get free standard shipping as a hifivision member. But I think it's FEDEX to SA, so you'll have to pay part of the courier cost.

Thanks Reddymail.

I don't know if the Paypal issue with India is resolved, but there isn't any with SA as far as I know.

Pardon my ignorance - pls help explain what .... "there isn't any SA"... means? Can someone pls explain what the SA stands for?

Thanks Reddymail.

Pardon my ignorance - pls help explain what .... "there isn't any SA"... means? Can someone pls explain what the SA stands for?

Saudi Arabia. I think the Abb used should have been UAE instead?

Does paypal have facility for shipping oil barrels instead of petro dollars in UAE? :D

Regards

Saudi Arabia. I think the Abb used should have been UAE instead?

Does paypal have facility for shipping oil barrels instead of petro dollars in UAE? :D

Regards

Pardon my ignorance - pls help explain what .... " I think the Abb used ..." means? :D

Just kidding! :)

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

blueturtle: well i have auditioned both xindak 5 & 8.i would suggest you to go for dac5 its simple refined and good build quality.it was auditioned by side with CA..........my personal opinion xindak was winner.there is also a new dac9 with usb input, good allrounder but slightly expensive.if you can get it from sg it would be cheaper................pm for more details

I have a quote of USD 480 for DAC5, UAD 650 for DAC8 and USD 750 for DAC9. Both DAC8 and DAC9 have USB inputs - wonder if the DAC9 is worth the additional USD100?

OK - I am new to the DAC world but got the bug after hearing a friend's system with the little MF V-DAC and Squeezebox Classic. Thought it was a beautiful experience; simply more of everything in the music (deeper bass, in-our-face voices, pronounced drums - specially hi-hat, ride cymbals could be identified easily).

Oh yes, I already get a preety good soundstage with my Nait XS (v/s the earlier NAD C352 and then Arcam Solo Music experience).

So, my thinking was that "perpahs" I too would get a much wider soundstage by adding an external DAC. Now, my question is "will this really make a big difference?"

I also understand many XS owners talk of enhanced soundstage and dynamics by adding external powersupplies from Teddy Prado, Sonic Bliss and Avondale etc.

So, I am utterly confused as to what might be a better VFM option - PSU vs DAC?????

Any expert guidance/directions from the valued forum members is earnestly requested PLEASE......

Hi Blue Turtle,

Given the options for both DACs and speakers, there is enough reason to get confused. If the aim is to enhance a particular part of the sound signature, then it is worthwhile to call it out such as depth, soundstage, clarity/resolution, etc. You may then get suggestions to improve certain parts of your system as otehrwise you will end up upgrading most of your components in a few months. Also, you will be working with literally 'n' number of options for the upgrades.

Also, I see that you are trying to match DAC to speakers. This is not the recommended approach. This is like matching CDPs to speakers. As much as the DACs influce sound, the amp (and to some extent the interconnects) influence the sound. So, you may want to match them with the amps accordingly.

To note, you are looking at a decent set of DACs but there are many choices esp. if you have not finalised other components in your system.

Finally regarding Spendors or MA. I would strongly suggest to audition these brands as you will either love them or be disappointed. For instance, a while ago I came across a pair of ATC SCM 10 monitors for real bargain. At this time, I used to own an Adcom GFA 545 (100 wpc @ 8) amp. Little did I realise the amount of power the speakers required to sound better as the adcom's never really brought out the best in them. I hated the speakers just for that reason though that was not the issue at all. I ended up selling them shortly as I did not want to go on another quest to upgrade my amp as my financed did not allow for them.

Bottom line, what I am suggesting is to audition the components before purchasing them unless your dealer allows a 30 day audition less shipping charges. This way you wont be put behind too much.

Let us know if you are still on the quest to audition other brands of DACs and speakers and we will provde the options.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to clarify some points based on reading earlier posts in the thread.

Re: Help on PS Audio DLiii USA import

A friend is offering me his PS Audio DLiii (USA import) as he has upgraded to the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC. PS Audio has quoted me USD 250 to replace the US model power supply to suit Indian voltage. My question to the experienced members is can I replace the power supply in India? If yes, will it be equally reliable and how much will be the cost difference factor? Any input is sincerely appreciated.

blueturtle, there are lot of choices for DAC's. So, to decide it would be better if you can tell us certain things:

Now, from my experience having heard the CA Dacmagic and the Beresford 7510, I would say you need to go to the PS Audio league. Incase you are keen on the MF then actually they are coming up with a new M1 dac with balanced out etc which might be more of a match.
But, please understand that these are mere speculations as I have not heard many of these components.

Now that MF M1 DAC is available, will some forum member please give their valuable input? Some users feel that the MF M1 DAC to be "bright" sounding. My main choice now is between PS Audio DLiii or MF M1 DAC. Request valuable input from members please.

If you are not in a hurry ,why not wait for the XDA-1 from Emotiva? Also, the digital link DAC is now ~ $500. Does it make sense to upgrade just the PS at the given cost?

If you are not in a hurry ,why not wait for the XDA-1 from Emotiva? Also, the digital link DAC is now ~ $500. Does it make sense to upgrade just the PS at the given cost?

Thank you Saikat for the valuable input. In NO absolute hurry.

Will certainly heed your valuable recommendation regarding the XDA-1 and Digital Link DAC.

Yes, I too recon the additional 250 will increase the cost nearly to new price of USD 800. However, AudioVision Mumbai has quoted me Rs 61,875 for a new DLiii so I was hoping to save on cost by changing the power supply in India? If the PS cannot be changed in India then it doesn't make sense.

By the way, any thoughts/opinions on the MF M1 DAC please?

Last edited:
I use an Audiosector(Peter Daniel) NOS DAC, got it as a kit and assembled it here about 3-4 years ago. I am very happy with it, it's connected to a SB Classic.

Hi all, I'm using V-dac with my Denon 1912 AVR and feeding it through cd player (through coaxial cable) and laptop (through USB cable) and it's working fine. I want to use my ipod as source to dac but unable to know how. Can anybody help me out.

Thanks

Hi all, I'm using my HT setup with following components:

AVR: 1912
Speakers FR/FL :KEF Q300
CS: FKEF
SW :Wharfedale SW150
SS: Wharfedale DS9
DAC : V-DAC from music fidility

My query is for music input to AVR through V-dac. I'm giving input to V-DAC throgh my laptop (with USB cable) and through cd player (with coaxial cable) and both are working fine. Now i want to use another digital source (ipod) through V-dac. Conecting ipod to USB port of V-Dac doesn't give any response. I'm not able to figure out the problem. Can anybody help me pls.

Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back