Help selecting a tube preamp

ttarasu

There was a recent discussion on the same thing few months ago on HFV, hopefully you've gone through this..

@haisaikat finally bought #2 in your list ; he's pretty happy with it. You can ping him for the further information. I have heard #1 found it to be a bit brighter for my tastes.

Also, I needed a remote so I ended up with #3 Swara Preamp. It is pretty good for the price, the tube warmth etc are spot on. Most importantly it augments the bass frequencies in a very musical way. It's bit dull on cold start, which takes 30 minutes to warm up ; If you warm up > 2 hrs the resolution improves a lot with more musical presentation.

#4 & #5 on your list should be Schiit Saga+ and Schiit Freya + tube preamplifiers. Which are pretty good in their own way, there are quite a lot of reviews online.

There's no better way to decide than listening them, try getting a local audition, Acoustic Portrait may send you a demo piece for home audition if requested properly. Keep us posted with your impressions on these.

Thanks for tagging me @drkrack . Yes i am pretty happy with the Anode Acoustic tube preamp. They have used low gain tubes intentionally to keep noise levels low and it has worked very well alongwith their custom wound transformer. Schiit Freya is ~70k INR so it's almost double the cost of other items in the list. And support tube rolling of same category of course.

@ttarasu you may check with them if they have any dealer location for trichi or in your State.

Thanks for tagging me @drkrack . Yes i am pretty happy with the Anode Acoustic tube preamp. They have used low gain tubes intentionally to keep noise levels low and it has worked very well alongwith their custom wound transformer. Schiit Freya is ~70k INR so it's almost double the cost of other items in the list. And support tube rolling of same category of course.

@ttarasu you may check with them if they have any dealer location for trichi or in your State.
What's the pricing of Anode Acoustic tube preamp? (And the other offerings such as SS Power amp? Is this on the affordable range?

Regarding schiit tube preamps -

As per user reviews : If balanced is needed go for schiit alternatively for SE go for Saga.

I haven't used or listened to neither. So no personal experience.

What's the pricing of Anode Acoustic tube preamp? (And the other offerings such as SS Power amp? Is this on the affordable range?

Even me curious regarding anode acoustics, they seem to have their operations in Gurgaon.

You guys can contact Nitin from Anode Acoustics at the contact points given on their website. The line preamp I have which comes in wooden finish is pcb less and point to point soldered through wires. I heard they are coming up with a pcb version too that would be a cost effective version of this one. They do have some unique offering like SS amp with tube preamp integrated.

Due to lack of time i am unable to post my ownership review, plan to post by this year definitely.

But try to audition stuff before you buy. Will take this preamp in our 1st December Kolkata meet.

any updates here?ended up picking a ca 651w power amp so trying to go for a tube pre. need atleast 2 to 3 inputs and remote control would be helpful.been using a yaqin mc 10L for almost 7 years now and more than happy with it.out of curiosity trying the seperates way. right now using the ca cxn in preamp mode but no great improvement over my yaqin which has el34 in output and 6n1 in preamp. please provide good suggestions @SachinChavan @drkrack @haisaikat @yogibear

Last edited:
any updates here?ended up picking a ca 651w power amp so trying to go for a tube pre. need atleast 2 to 3 inputs and remote control would be helpful.been using a yaqin mc 10L for almost 7 years now and more than happy with it.out of curiosity trying the seperates way. right now using the ca cxn in preamp mode but no great improvement over my yaqin which has el34 in output and 6n1 in preamp. please provide good suggestions @SachinChavan @drkrack @haisaikat @yogibear

Try listening to Acoustic Portrait. Its got all the requirements you listed in terms of Inputs, remote, Tube. I have been using one and it's absolutely amazing. It really comes into its own after an hour of running. The duration seems to be getting longer as its getting cooler in Bangalore. I even hooked up my SVS to it using speaker cables and I am really amazed by how the SVS does its job.

MaSh

Try listening to Acoustic Portrait. Its got all the requirements you listed in terms of Inputs, remote, Tube. I have been using one and it's absolutely amazing. It really comes into its own after an hour of running. The duration seems to be getting longer as its getting cooler in Bangalore. I even hooked up my SVS to it using speaker cables and I am really amazed by how the SVS does its job.

MaSh
thanks mash for the input! but how do you connect the sub? to the power amp? does the remote control both input and volume? my max listening is around 30 to 60mins per day so will i be just waiting for it to warm up?

thanks mash for the input! but how do you connect the sub? to the power amp? does the remote control both input and volume? my max listening is around 30 to 60mins per day so will i be just waiting for it to warm up?

Sub needs Pre Out only right. So preamp connected to the Speaker Input of the Sub. Yes the AP remote does only Volume and Source selection.

Lol, you could switch it on well before you start to listen or just leave it on. I was away for around 2 weeks and the setup I am told was never switched off. Ladies at home had a blast with it with Prime and Netflix running all day and night.

MaSh

Hi audiophiles,
Any inputs on
1)-Lyrita DHT line Preamp using pair of 4P1L
(http://www.lyrita-audio.in/page4.html)

2)Anode acoustics stereo preamp using pair of ECC8(http://anodeacoustics.in/index.php/tube-preamplifiers/)

3)Swara tube preamp using 6n2P(https://acousticportrait.com/product/swara-preamp/)

Any good/bad reviews and how much of a difference can I expect on these.
Regards and thanks.

I have experience with only Lyrita DHT of these and I own one for last two years. I can say it is very value for money. The two biggest improvements in the sound of my system came from the Lyrita preamp and the Einstein Green Largo cables.

It’s also an eye-candy as its artisan make catches the eye of every visitor. Of course that comes with its own challenges - not perfect in terms of cabinet assembly. I had issues with the opening for the tubes and had to set it right myself based on Viren’s advice. His customer support and passion is exemplary. Also it doesn’t have remote so you’d need to exercise yourself every time you have to change the volume or source. And it’s high gain - so check compatibility.

Having said that, it’s a core part of my system and lends it the sweet and holographic sound that every listener has liked. I use it in a hybrid setup with SS power - so I get the punch required. Never had problems with tube buzzing/noise.

II can’t see myself going to a pure SS system. But then I have yet to hear a class A amp.

I have experience with only Lyrita DHT of these and I own one for last two years. I can say it is very value for money. The two biggest improvements in the sound of my system came from the Lyrita preamp and the Einstein Green Largo cables.

It’s also an eye-candy as its artisan make catches the eye of every visitor. Of course that comes with its own challenges - not perfect in terms of cabinet assembly. I had issues with the opening for the tubes and had to set it right myself based on Viren’s advice. His customer support and passion is exemplary. Also it doesn’t have remote so you’d need to exercise yourself every time you have to change the volume or source. And it’s high gain - so check compatibility.

Having said that, it’s a core part of my system and lends it the sweet and holographic sound that every listener has liked. I use it in a hybrid setup with SS power - so I get the punch required. Never had problems with tube buzzing/noise.

II can’t see myself going to a pure SS system. But then I have yet to hear a class A amp.
thanks sir can you pm the price and contact details. any clue about the lync preamp they have on sale? how many inputs does the dht have?

Thanks for sharing your journey with Lyrita preamp.
Some of our FMs called it little bright.
Your opinion please.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back