Help: Sony LCD decoloration issue

Tron05

I had purchased a Sony Bravia KLV-32S550A LCD, 3 years earlier. I have recently started facing High contrast decoloration frequently. Did some googling and found that repairing costs of LCDs can easily go upto 20k and that Sony would not provide warranty of the replaced products.

Did anybody go through this kind of issue or has experience of getting their LCD repaired? Attaching 2 snaps of how the LCD screen looks like. The screen does not always look like that, but in burst and stays that way for 5-10 seconds.

Any info would be helpful.

Last edited:
Hi Tron05,

Very sorry to hear about the problem.

I recently faced a similar problem with our Sony Bravia 37S400 (37") which was also bought approx 3 years ago around Diwali time in 2008.

I called the nearest Sony Authorized Service Centre. One guy came and immediately concluded that it was either the software or the picture tube, but for a confirmation they needed to to take it to their place. I agreed, and accordingly after about 3 days two men came to take the TV. Then for about 3 weeks there was no news from them, I was abroad during this time and could not pursue the matter. When I came back, I went to their place and wanted to know the status, and they said that the picture tube needed replacement and the picture tube alone would cost me about 19K.

I naturally was very upset, and then electronically communicated to Sony India (there is a way to do it from their website). I basically complained that Sony was not looking after their customers, otherwise why it would take more than 1 month to find out the cost of repairs (which shows that for a TV costing 60K there is no ready availability and information on spares), and if Sony had any confidence in their products they would either give a longer warranty period (like 3-5 years which is quite standard internationally) or give an option for extended warranty to be bought by the customer.

There was an immediate automated reply from Sony. After a few days, I got a response from the Head of Sony Service in this region. She wrote that the repair would be done promptly and whole thing would cost me about 16K inclusive of taxes and labour, and they could not go any lower on the price. However, there was no mention of any warranty on the replaced parts.

I wrote back saying that this was unbecoming of Sony not to have mentioned any warranty period on the replaced parts. The Head of Service wrote back with an warranty of 3 months on the new picture tube. I immediately responded by writing that this was unacceptable. The Head then offered me 6 months warranty to which ultimately I agreed, because there is a limit to which one can pursue these things.

About a week after I agreed to Sony's offer (16K total cost, and 6 months warranty on the picture tube), the repaired TV was delivered back and I wrote a cheque and gave to them after I was satisfied.

This whole episode from beginning to end took about 2 months or slightly more. In this time, we considered several options like not repairing this TV at all and buying a new TV and so on. There was also a growing discontent about the whole thing at home. So I went and bought, in the middle of all this, a 32" Toshiba (Power TV 32PB1E) for Rs 19.5 K with 3 years warranty :). For the price, we are extremely happy with the TV. It is now doing duty (very light duty) in our bedroom.

I hope my experience helps you some way.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hey Asit... Your post has every detail i need to know about 'whats in store for me in the coming months'. Thanks for sharing.

A big dilemma for me now.... 2 months(or even a week) without TV would be totally unacceptable to my parents. TV in my house is in use for about 8-10 hours a day. To top it all, it was my suggestion to go for a Sony, even though it had a premium price, just for the sake of Sony's quality.

I just googled for similar issues with Sony LCDs and i see mine is not a one-off case. there are lots of people having problems with Sony LCDs in 2-3 years.

This is really a tough call... evaluating options now

Well its really hard to tell,in the good old crt days one could replace just a small part in the PCB,but in todays worlds of flat panel displays they just change the entire board or screen.

You can also seek the help of people who just repair lcds tvs/monitor etc NOT CRT ask for their quote and then ask Sony service centre for their quote,see if they have contradicting statements as to what part should be replaced.

This person here got the board repaired or replaced for 7.5k for a EX400 what's the problem with the TV(Sony EX400)?

Did you use a stabilizer? Also make sure the STB have proper ground,since most indian manfucturers bundle us really cheap STB with a crappy power supply,STB from airtel version 1 for ed pass on as much as 40v AC in their composite out.

Last edited:
Got the LCD serviced a few days earlier from a Sony Authorized service center.
Issue was with a Coil and fixing it cost me Rs1500 including Rs660 labor charge.

I was been given a paper receipt of Rs1500 along with my TV set. Upon asking for the warranty and information of the parts replaced, they just wrote "T/C coil' behind the receipt . I was expecting something like we get in Bike/Car service centers. i.e name of the part with serial number.

Anyways asked him to give me the damaged parts and all he gave was a small resistor and a condenser.
About the warranty, he said if anything goes bad with the replaced parts within 1 month, they would service and replace the part free of cost. I then pointed out a 'Sony Terms and conditions' poster behind him which said warranty of 90 days. All he said was there are more clauses to it.. I just left it to that hoping nothing else goes wrong with the TV.

I am now facing the same problem with my 40" samsung series 5 LCD bought 3 years back.!...this 3 yr thing seems to be jinxed, as surprisingly all the above posts mentions this problem coming up in 3 yrs.!

i called samsung customer care and they said they ll be sending an engineer to check today or latest by tomorrow. The service charge (doesn't matter what the engineer does) will be INR 1000..:eek:

anyway, have no option but to wait and see whats in store for me...16k, 19k, 2 months, 3 months, new TV :rolleyes:

will update the post once there is a feedback.

well got a feedback from the engineer:

the panel PCB has gone kaput and it is not available separately, hence i will have to change the whole panel which costs INR 34K...:eek::eek::eek:

i have sent a complaint letter to samsung customer care and asked them why do i buy a new car just because one of engine valves is not working...? sort of...

yet to receive a reply. any one can give some inputs on this...???

thanks
cheers

Looks like the quality of LCD's and their defects are dawning on the users. I have been using a Sammy plasma for last 6 years, no issues till now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back