Help !! USB Audio getting frequently stuck

That rules out the possibility of an usb cable problem
See my previous post. It does not rule out the possibility of a cable/port problem. A different cable must be tried.

It's unlikely, I know, but when all the likely stuff has been checked, only the unlikely is left!
Disable disc compression options, system sounds, the indexing service, and your wireless Internet connection. --> happens for files played over network as well so do not think disc compression may be the problem here, happens with / without wired internet.
Indexing service... I'd turn this off. This kind of stuff may not directly affect the sound file that is being read, but it may interrupt it while the system is doing something entirely different. The source of the file won't matter.

No idea about W7, and hope not to have to find out about it, but indexing is something we took care to turn off in previous versions. When it was first introduced (W2000? 98 even?) it was a horrible thing that caused many headaches even in just normal office use

Did you ever try the power management (minimum processor state) option?

@Thad--Latency is latency...time delay, to put it plainly. DPC (deferred procedure calls) is just a Microsoft terminology at how their OS handles processor speed/time allocation.

Audio streaming/playback is actually a trivial task for any half decent system. DPC latency hardly ever affects it. I mean if it makes audio streaming stutter, then it would make bluray/HD MKV streaming (via USB or even HDMI) a slideshow.

Oh, and as you said..I would also not rule out the possibility of cable/port problem.

Sadly, DPC Latency is quite often a problem, and it can render a PC quite useless as an media player. Been there and suffered.
Audio streaming/playback is actually a trivial task for any half decent system.
There are two ways to answer this, and they contradict :)

One can say that media playback is a real-time task, and that PCs are not real-time environments and that software and hardware interrupts really can screw things up. This is correct, in theory, but the reality is that sometimes they do, usually, they don't.

One can also say, to the person who is planning to overclock their >3Ghz pcu and fit they machine with the fastest gpus, hdds etc etc etc, "Look, PCs were playing music happily a decade ago: that stuff may help with video, but you do not need high power for audio."

-Latency is latency...time delay, to put it plainly
There are [at least] two kinds of "latency." One is simply the amount of time it takes for bits to get converted into sound, or the amount of time it takes for a signal to be processed in and then out by a sound card. "Audiophiles" have got hold of this idea and like to pretend that it matters: it doesn't. It matters to recording studios, not to simple listening. One reason that it doesn't matter is that it is constant. The other kind, of the "Hang on, I've just got something else to do" sort can certainly matter.

Guys, thank you all for the exhaustive troubleshooting steps. There is good news as well as bad news. Good news is that the problem is resolved and that too without reinstalling OS. But the bad news is that towards the end of the troublshooting I did some of the things parallelly and one of them resolved it. Here were the final steps
1. Uninstalled all unnecessary sofwares, I had even Adobe X Pro trial.
2. Uninstalled the DLink Shareport utility which used to virtualize remotedly connected USB drives (to my DLink NAS) on this PC.
3. Went inside BIOS and disabled USB and then enabled it. Save & Exit

Bingo, after 3 days I turned it on and everything is gone, back to normal.

My apologies guys I was irregular to this forum for some time over the last 1 and half months and hence could not post this earlier. My sincere thanks to you guys for all the real time help. HFV Rocks.

Out of that list, the one I really don't like the look of is
2. Uninstalled the DLink Shareport utility which used to virtualize remotedly connected USB drives (to my DLink NAS) on this PC.
The way to tell, now, is to install it again!

And, as it might have been a combination of things, even that is not certain proof.

Happy to know that things are working properly now. These problems are so frustrating!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back