Help with deciding on centre speakers

grunthos

I have 2.0 setup with Dali Zensor 7 floorstanders and a Denon X1000
When watching movies, quite frequently I find volume discrepancy between "dialogue-only" scenes and more "action" scenes - namely having to turn up the volume for the dialogue-only scenes, only to hastily having to dial volumes back once the action/soundtrack kicks in.
I understand a centre speaker is probably required.

I have a couple of questions
1) Some online forums suggest that if the L/R speakers are kept very close to each other, then a centre speaker wouldn't be very effective and is hence not required. Is it true ?
(my speakers are 5ft apart - tiny Mumbai apartments :()

2) If centre speakers are required, do I have to splurge and pick up the matching Zensor Vokal, or can I consider up a different brand (pre-owned) ? Would the tonal differences between brands be very noticeable ?
(When I bought the speakers few years ago, I was more particular about audio quality - trying to listen only to FLACs etc. But have lost that zeal now)

3) The Zensor have dual 7" woofers. If I pick up a smaller centre speaker, say with 4" woofers, would the floorstanders drown out the centre speaker ?

My usage is 90:10 movie/shows:music

Going with the matching Dali speakers would be recommended. Avoid going with centre speakers with smaller drivers as it won't make a difference to your existing 2.0 setup.

Since you have 2.0 setup, what eq setting are you playing with. Do tou have audyssey on or off. For surround content, does your AVR has loudness management (it will be available during 5.1 content playback).

Even though 5ft is a little close, a center speaker will definitely add a dynamic to your dialogue and audio separation. I too have gone through a somewhat similar transition from a very closely placed stereo setup to a much more evenly placed 7.2.4 setup.'

As for what center channel to get, Timbre matching the LCR is definitely a thing but IMHO it's been blown out of proportions. Unless you are building a dedicated home theatre room you won't be hearing a difference especially if you pair your dali's with a high-quality center channel. Make sure to get something with matching sensitivity (90db+).

It may also be that the Denon x1000 is holding your setup back. That also can be something to look into.

I have 2.0 setup with Dali Zensor 7 floorstanders and a Denon X1000
When watching movies, quite frequently I find volume discrepancy between "dialogue-only" scenes and more "action" scenes - namely having to turn up the volume for the dialogue-only scenes, only to hastily having to dial volumes back once the action/soundtrack kicks in.

I have a couple of questions
1) Some online forums suggest that if the L/R speakers are kept very close to each other, then a centre speaker wouldn't be very effective and is hence not required. Is it true ?

2) If centre speakers are required, do I have to splurge and pick up the matching Zensor Vokal, or can I consider up a different brand (pre-owned) ? Would the tonal differences between brands be very noticeable ?
(When I bought the speakers few years ago, I was more particular about audio quality - trying to listen only to FLACs etc. But have lost that zeal now)

3) The Zensor have dual 7" woofers. If I pick up a smaller centre speaker, say with 4" woofers, would the floorstanders drown out the centre speaker ?

My usage is 90:10 movie/shows:music
Hi Grunthos,

I would add a few points to what the others have already said (I am in a similar situation like you):

- I do think a center speaker adds to a more cinematic experience (even if the fronts are only 5 feet apart).
- In my 10'x15' untreated room, I prefer 3.1 over 5.1. With many movies, 5.1 just becomes "too much" sound in a little space. Especially since most modern movie soundtracks are quite lively. I personally am ok with shutting off the rear channels.
- If your set-up allows it, I would go with the same exact model of the front speakers, for the center speaker. I have tried many many horizontal type center speakers - I never find them to be as open sounding, as regular vertically oriented speakers.
- If you can't put floor standers in the center, then put a bookshelf from the same series (or one series down).

Aman

Since you have 2.0 setup, what eq setting are you playing with. Do tou have audyssey on or off. For surround content, does your AVR has loudness management (it will be available during 5.1 content playback).
Since it is stereo, is Audyssey required ? I just let it play in direct mode, without any EQ.
About loudness management, I havent come across it in the menu so far. Considering the AVR was launched in 2013 and was the entry level model, it probably doesnt have it.

As for what center channel to get, Timbre matching the LCR is definitely a thing but IMHO it's been blown out of proportions. Unless you are building a dedicated home theatre room you won't be hearing a difference especially if you pair your dali's with a high-quality center channel. Make sure to get something with matching sensitivity (90db+).

It may also be that the Denon x1000 is holding your setup back. That also can be something to look into.

What qualifies as a high-quality centre channel :) ?
I too have a feeling that I can live with the timbre mismatch from different brands. My main concern is will the centre channel be drowned out by the beefy floorstanders- and I wont get any benefits of adding the centre speaker.
The centre speaker of the Dali Zensor series have 5.25" woofers compared to the dual 7" in my floorstanders ...
And unfortunately there is no chance of trying out the centre channel before purchasing it

- If your set-up allows it, I would go with the same exact model of the front speakers, for the center speaker. I have tried many many horizontal type center speakers - I never find them to be as open sounding, as regular vertically oriented speakers.
- If you can't put floor standers in the center, then put a bookshelf from the same series (or one series down).

You are saying I should put a bookshelf from the same series horizontally as a centre speaker :oops: ? Fiscally it is a good suggestion, as a single bookshelf Zensor 3 is cheaper than the centre speaker (IF I can find a seller who will sell me a single bookshelf). But I havent heard of anyone recommending this approach to centre channel ....

What qualifies as a high-quality centre channel :) ?
I too have a feeling that I can live with the timbre mismatch from different brands. My main concern is will the centre channel be drowned out by the beefy floorstanders- and I wont get any benefits of adding the centre speaker.
The centre speaker of the Dali Zensor series have 5.25" woofers compared to the dual 7" in my floorstanders ...
And unfortunately there is no chance of trying out the centre channel before purchasing it

What is your budget for the centre channel?

There are some quite nice options with 5.25" midrange drivers that cost way less than the Dali zensor vocal. They have good power handling as well so your concern of being overwhelmed by the floor standers shouldn't really be an issue.

Edit: I have used this in the past - https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/centre-channel/taga-harmony-platinum-c-90-sl-center-speaker.html
It has really nice dynamics with a titanium tweeter and excellent midranger's.

Since it is stereo, is Audyssey required ? I just let it play in direct mode, without any EQ.
About loudness management, I havent come across it in the menu so far. Considering the AVR was launched in 2013 and was the entry level model, it probably doesnt have it.
[/QUOTE
Ok...when i was in 2.0 setup, i was using the audyssey off and using the tone controls (bass and treble) to adjust the sound to my preference.
Loudness management is only available for Dolby contents.

You are saying I should put a bookshelf from the same series horizontally as a centre speaker :oops: ? Fiscally it is a good suggestion, as a single bookshelf Zensor 3 is cheaper than the centre speaker (IF I can find a seller who will sell me a single bookshelf). But I havent heard of anyone recommending this approach to centre channel ....
+1 to @AmK . If you can have it, nothing like having the same speaker as centre as your fronts.

Put the bookshelf in its normal orientation.

This will require some careful planning of the screen/rack height and distance, as the bookshelf will be a few inches taller than a horizontal center speaker (You don't want the center of the screen to be much higher than the level of your eyes, when in seated position)

If your bookshelf speaker ends up being too low, then just make a slanted base/stand in wood (so the bookshelf will be angled towards your ears)

See image below. In my system, I have a made a low profile rack (single shelf). In the future, I might go with a bookshelf speaker for the center.

If you can get an additional bookshelf on demo, and if space allows, I would try this first.

5.jpg2.jpg

Try engaging Audyssey "Volume" on the AVR.. Also try different settings on it "Light, heavy".. It might help with consistent volume across the movie playback.. Settle for whichever preset you might like..

5ft seem a bit narrow IMO, but if you can space them lil further if you can, should be good to hold a center speaker in-between..

2) If centre speakers are required, do I have to splurge and pick up the matching Zensor Vokal,

As other have said, Ideal and most recommended is to match (repeat) the center to that of L/R speaker, followed by matching center from same series.. It is also ok to choose from any other brand too, depending on the room limitations (or) budget..

Nope.. Don't think the FS will drown the center.. You will anyways use a crossover for center channel, 80hz.. I think Dali has a single bookself speaker as center.. If you can get that, would be a good match..

Once you get the center speaker, it's best to keep the volume of the center channel a few dbs higher than the front L/R.
This way the dialogues will be clearer and during loud passages when those two speakers kick in, you will not have to run and grab the remote to lower the volume.
In my humble opinion a center channel is an absolute necessity
Also best to go with same brand

If you are watching alone and sitting in the sweet spot, you can do without a centre channel.
Else you do need one.
There's a lot of discussion on the on the net.
It's been discussed here also.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back