help with subwoofer setup in accent gvs

theironhorse

HI,

i own a accent gvs (petrol) 2002 model and done 70k kms.
as of now have only sony (bt) HU and jvc speakers.

however i want to add and amp and a sub.(price in not a contraint)

BUT THE PROBLEM IS MY GAS TANK THAT HAS BEEN MY MISTAKE THAT I DID.
I DO NOT USE IT (VERY RARELY ONCE IN A MONTH) BUT DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE IT.

now the question is can i add a subwoofer inthe rest of the space left ?
will it be effective as we get in other cars or the effect will reduce ?
is it safe or there are ne issues with the low frequency produced by the sub to the gas tank ?

in case if i can go ahead with it what combo shud i go for (4 channel amp+sub)

or remove the jvc speakers as well and go for new speakers.

hi,am assuming u have a car converted to run on lpg/cng(??) from ur description.like u said,u use it rarely,so why not forgo it?will give u the space for a sub/enclosure/amp.cheers

yeah rally rut its been converted but i rarely use it as i mentioned so the first thought i gave was to remove it but without removing it is it poss to add a low frequency device and get the same performance and also safe for the gas tank ?

can't have it all now,can we :p??!!!the prob starts as all subs need some minimal enclosure for car usage,hence the box/encl.the smallest one is prob like the one i have in my car and even that takes a little space!!cheers

got that.. however space is not the problem.. m ready to scarice all the space (2/3 of boot) available for sub but the ques is the performace similar to what others get as the sub is stuck close to the rear seat.. as in my case the gas tank will be in between..

also its been fitted by once of the best guys in jaipur and m in hyd now.. so dont wanna get my car touched here...

You could try one of those 8" active subwoofers which can be fitted beneath
the driver/passenger seat. I have one in my car and it sounds real good.

Advantages:
- cost effective, less space, no need to buy a mono block or separate
amp

disadvantages:
- may not produce the best sound but definitely VFM considering
space/cost constraints.

If you drive the car majority of the time, place it beneath drivers seat
and you would never feel the need for bigger sub. However if there
would be additional passengers in the car (most of the times) they may
not prefer the sound stage.

You are welcome to audition my setup. I have a pioneer 8" active sub
(beneath driver seat) in my spark and my getz has polk 12" sub powered
by focal mono block. Though there is obvious difference in the setup
and sound, I really dont feel missing much when I drive around in my
spark.

Given the situation i second sivakuru's suggestion of going for an active sub which can be placed below the seat. The amp and sub are tuned and matched well and produces quite a decent bass. dont expect high spl though but good quality. Blaupunkt xenos etc make these subs

but wudn't i have to remove my spare wheel ?

you can keep the spare wheel in the boot where ur tank currently is.
for two reasons this should prove to be better....
1. the tank is placed adjacent to the back of seatrest where it lies directly below ur parcel tray , right where the speakers/woofers are mounted. this space potencially acts as a closed enclosure for the speakers in tray mounts and hence the tank there is spoiling the reverbs and affecting overall sound badly.
a loose tyre could be placed anywhere except for directly below the said space giving the speakers a 'breathing space'
2. rubber of the tyre will save lot of metallic vibrations that may color the sound, though at in-car environs this factor is too meagre to factor in.
so if u have to keep one thing out of tank n tyre in the boot , better put tyre in boot. if u want the boot to b spanking clean, make a cloth cover out of old tapestries etc.
another thing i never saw in real life, but is advertised regularly in back pages of autocar india is buttkicker.
this doesn t produces any sound but only the vibrations that come with the low freq.
this device basically fools you into thinking /feeling u have head banging base. see if you can get an audition. this device mounts below driver seat and in my unexperienced opinion, would only work if its well matched with rest of the system( but that applies to every setup. eh??)

Last edited:
thanks guys for enlightning me wid the facts and the options available...
also sivakuru i wud defenitely want to give ur cars a look so i can get and idea how and what it is... once decided i wud go for the setup..

i will be opening a new thread soon for the mods in my petrol accent..hope u guys help me there as well

Thanks. again.

thanks guys for enlightning me wid the facts and the options available...
also sivakuru i wud defenitely want to give ur cars a look so i can get and idea how and what it is... once decided i wud go for the setup..

i will be opening a new thread soon for the mods in my petrol accent..hope u guys help me there as well

Thanks. again.

Sure. I have done most of the stage 1/2 mods on my Getz. I shall be happy to help you.

Hi sivakuru,

I am also thinking of installing a underseat powered subwoofer.

Which was the Pioneer 8" underseat subwoofer you installed. Is it Pioneer TS-WX210A ?

Is it available in India?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back