Help: Woofer for wharfi Diamond 9.1 damaged

diplomat

I started getting some trrrrr sound from my left channel few days back and shocked to notice that paper cone of LF driver for the channel is torn by more than 70 % diameter from cone.
I have attached images for that..
In completely off mood as it has given away suddenly, and not able to make out how it happened.
Please help me to solve this, either by putting some cello tape or replacing the cone somewhere at chennai.....
Any FM with similar problem may please share on the issue and how to repair...

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_113948.jpg
    IMG_20150207_113948.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20150207_114104.jpg
    IMG_20150207_114104.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 212
Applying anything over it won't help.

There are only two ways to do it.

1. Get the replacement driver from wharf
2. Get the driver rebuild from someone locally.

To know who is best at re-coning drivers, you may talk to guys who repair music systems and other electronics. Usually they have a fair idea about it and are able to point to someone good at it.

But my advice....Replace it with another driver either from wharf or get a similar speced driver.

Re-coning by local guys is tricky business.

Hope this helps

i do agree that original driver is the best choice, but not aware of the option at chennai and the cost involved...
though still its working, but certainly the paper cone will come out after usage of few hrs due to vibration...

2. Get the driver rebuild from someone locally.
Rebuilding may change the character of sound.With wharfs,may times the surround rubber ring can be replaced by local expert.Cost around Rs.1300.
So you get original cone,coil.Only rubber surround will be new.I have heard this is done in Chennai too.

thanks for your kind response, some hope at last, but need to find out where at chennai exactly.
Not able to understand, if they replace rubber alone, how paper cone is connected back to the surrounding rubber?? by some adhesive??

thanks for your kind response, some hope at last, but need to find out where at chennai exactly.
Not able to understand, if they replace rubber alone, how paper cone is connected back to the surrounding rubber?? by some adhesive??
The person should remove the old ring completely.Then use adhesive to paste new ring without damaging rest driver assembly.The same procedure is done by Designer audio(wharf distributors).

thanks for clarifying spir..
will have to wait for some chennai members to respond on where it can be attended

hi ,i know a guy named ali in richie streat.he is genious in speaker repairs.
he done repairs for my b&w drivers and blown tweeters in highly professional way.
you can find him in richie street ,mount road near maszid.

thanks krell, any location/landmark/shopname or contact details you have ??
it will be very useful as I stay around 80 kms away from chennai and need to rtake help of my friends to locate him and then go along with unit...
Hope he will be able to attend on same day and i can be back with unit...

he done repairs for my drivers in one day.actually i am from AP and i didnt remember the exact location.but i can give you the exact location map or else i will try.just give me some time (1-2 days)to locate his number.

was not able to locate him at the spot krell, pl help in any further identification or landmark details...
another guy from same street suggested replacing the rubber bid alone from 6 inch driver, but also agreed that sound will be bit less as compared to the channel which is intact. So matching both FL and FR will be problem...

thanks for clarifying spir..
will have to wait for some chennai members to respond on where it can be attended

There are good number of people who do this job in Radio Market Chennai. i have done for one of my music system and worked like a Charm.

The cone looks like its a fiberglass basket weave.
These cones are available - I have a few 10" in that same material and type and color.
You can recone it - or have a professional do it.

Cool.
Srinath.

thanks all for reviving my thread and helping me,
@BALADEVAN pl get me the exact address and contact so that directly I can go there with my unit, I stay bit far around 80 km south of chennai and would like to go to the correct place and get it done same day, so that I am back with my unit by evening-if possible...
pl reply back with details of address and contact plus how much around it may cost me...

My one of my Wharfs 9.1 developed the same problem. Can I get it fixed by someone in Bangalore? Thanks in advance

Mr.Philip
Phone: +91 80 2226 9360
Lizzner Electronics/Institute, #1, MV Jayaraman road, 13th Cross, Vasanthnagar, Bangalore.
(Opposite of Kodava Samaja building, Near to Contentment Railway Station.)

Mr.Philip
Phone: +91 80 2226 9360
Lizzner Electronics/Institute, #1, MV Jayaraman road, 13th Cross, Vasanthnagar, Bangalore.
(Opposite of Kodava Samaja building, Near to Contentment Railway Station.)
Thanks @unleash_me ! I spoke to Mr Philip and as per him because of the prevailing condition its difficult to get it fixed and I need to wait until situation improves.

Hi @vizeta were you able to repair your speakers ?
I am in the same boat now - the rubber surrounds of both my Diamond 9.1 fronts have almost fully cracked. Based on research on this forum, options are (i) get the rings replaced from local expert - Mr Philips, Anil of Hi Tech Service or Speaker Babu in SP Road (Bangalore location) (ii) ship the drivers to Designer Audio in Mumbai, distributor of Wharfs in India who will repair and ship back (iii) order a surround repair kit from foreign websites like simplyspeakers.com and do the repair DIY or from local expert...

Hi. I had the same problem with my Wharfedale Diamons 230.

Here is what I did.

- Open the back (unscrew) and see the model number of the driver - ie woofer (take a pic)
- Speak to HiFiMart - tell them the model number
- They will quote you a price for a replacement woofer (brand new)
- Order it
- When it comes , replace the woofer. Its a simple task

Thats it. Your speaker will be as good as new.

Nice to know about HiFiMart, I did call him but was told they don't sell individual drivers (or surround rings) but only finished speakers as listed on their website. Also spoke to Mr Philip, who opined the rubber rings can affect the sound quality and suggested I either procure the rings from abroad or try in shops in Police road in Bangalore and he could then replace it. Will probably make a trip to Police road/ SP road soon..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back