Here's a chance to sample "Tube Sound"

Happy to update the first part of the listening with Bravo Audio Ocean.

As seen from the photos its a really small device and I had low expectations from the device. But boy was I surprised. I couldnt go beyond the 8 0' clock level as it can go really loud, which is truly surprising. On checking the net for reviews saw from the specs its a Class A device.

Pros
- small Device, great slam, pleasant listening experience

Cons
- Bright Red light (almost a beacon);misses certain harmonics; no feet and gets really hot, so needs to be placed carefully.

Probably, changing the tubes will change some of the dynamics.

Overall, a very nice experience. Thanks to @smedhavi and @captrajesh for making this happen. Now onto the fatman.

<snip>
But boy was I surprised. I couldnt go beyond the 8 0' clock level as it can go really loud, which is truly surprising. On checking the net for reviews saw from the specs its a Class A device.
<snip>
This may be due to the fact that both the tube pre and your SS power amps are high gain components.
I have a similar situation at home. Lyrita DHT + AKSA.
Cheers,
Raghu

Could you elaborate the missing harmonics part?

I heard around 8-10 songs from Eagles, Pink Floyd, Daler Mehndi, AR Rehman. In some of the songs, esp. the hindi ones, when i switched over to the UMC as a preamp, I could hear a few more notes and instruments in slightly more complex pieces.

I tried the Fatman, had a few issues. Its binding posts are too small for my banana plug, so had to find bare speaker wires. Found and fixed them, but it made a loud, horrible noise when switched on (I switched on cd player first and volume was zero). Bit scared to do anything more. Any ideas?

Connecting CD player(oppo)->stereo out->Fatman->Speaker (Speaker is 96db sensitivity, 8ohms impedance)

it made a loud, horrible noise when switched on (I switched on cd player first and volume was zero). Bit scared to do anything more. Any ideas?

Connecting CD player(oppo)->stereo out->Fatman->Speaker (Speaker is 96db sensitivity, 8ohms impedance)
Oops! Bad news. Can you post a pic of your connections?

This is on behalf FM smedhavi who is not well and wanted to give away the following audio equipment. I suggested that we pass on the equipment for forum members to sample tube sound.

1. Fatman hybrid tube amp. Good condition, no box.
View attachment 48402

2. Bravo Audio Ocean Mini Valve Class A Tube Headphone Amplifier and Stereo Pre-amplifier.
View attachment 48403

This is a chance for the newbies of Bangalore to sample tube sound. The scheme works like this:

The participating FM must be a member of HFV for at least three months and must have at least 91 "meaningful" posts.

No audition. Self pickup from his residence in Bangalore or Dunzo would work fine too. A volunteer needs to take this upon himself to collect the two amps and he gets to sample both the equipment in his setup. He gets to keep the amps for a week each. He needs to arrange proper box with enough space for the amp and sufficient PU foam all around so that the equipment remains safe, especially during transit.

Whosoever wants to sample it needs to express his interest on this thread and send me a PM with his contact details. The process on passing will be strictly on first-come-first basis. After I approve, he gets to collect it from the above volunteer. He gets to keep it for one week. He then needs to pass it on to the next FM that I approve.

Only one amp per FM. (Only exception would be the first volunteer who collected the amps and arranged for boxes for the amps.) So the FM needs to decide if he wants to sample the preamp or the integrated amp which would of course depend on the sensitivity of one's speakers.

Whosoever collects the amp needs to post a pic of his set up and make a small write up on his experience with the equipment.

And, last but not the least; be gentle with the equipment. The responsibility to ensure functional status of the equipment rests with the current user. If anything goes wrong, he would be required to get the equipment repaired and make it fully functional.

Any positive suggestions to improve the scheme are welcome.

Let the show begin.
Hi Capt Rajesh,

This is a wonderful idea. I would certainly love to try tubes in my setup. Look forward to the next steps.

Thanks,
Shyam.

@captrajesh I would like to participate in this too , if there is no one after Kartikay i can coordinate with Kartikay to pick up the Integrated Tube amp.

Hello @captrajesh , consider me next in line for the integrated amp sample.
I would certainly love to try tubes in my setup. Look forward to the next steps.
@captrajesh I would like to participate in this too , if there is no one after Kartikay i can coordinate with Kartikay to pick up the Integrated Tube amp.
I've quoted all the requests in a chronological order. Here is the list:

1. @Kumar442244 - Integrated Amplifier
2. @kartikay - Not specified.
3. @shyamv - Not specified.
4. @fLUX - Not specified.

Folks, please specify as to which of the amps you would like to try and you may also mention what your setup is.

Also, there appears to be some issue with the Integrated Amplifier and probably needs to be looked at by a technical person first. I'm not sure who among the above members have some troubleshooting skills. Any volunteers? @Kumar442244, if you think you can do some troubleshooting, you can collect the Integrated Amplifier from @sud98

Folks, please specify as to which of the amps you would like to try and you may also mention what your setup is.

Also, there appears to be some issue with the Integrated Amplifier and probably needs to be looked at by a technical person first. I'm not sure who among the above members have some troubleshooting skills. Any volunteers? @Kumar442244, if you think you can do some troubleshooting, you can collect the Integrated Amplifier from @sud98
Hi Rajesh - I am referring to the stereo Integrated amp. Thanks.

@captrajesh I am afraid, M not technically eligible for this. Moreover, this could be my first encounter with the Tubes so would not want to risk the product by touching its intimate parts.
If someone next in line have any sort of technical expertise, I am happy to be next to that person.
Let me anyhow connect with @sud98 and understand the problem.

It's such a wonderful & thoughtful gesture on the part of FM Smedhavi & Capt. Rajesh to make this happen for the benefit of other's. I guess this kind of an offer & effort undertaken must be unheard of in any audio forum which really makes Hifivision a great forum.
Wishing FM Smedhavi a speedy recovery & good wishes.

Regards.

Hi Rajesh - I am referring to the stereo Integrated amp. Thanks.
Okay. You're in queue. Let's sort out the issue first.
@captrajesh I am afraid, M not technically eligible for this. Moreover, this could be my first encounter with the Tubes so would not want to risk the product by touching its intimate parts.
If someone next in line have any sort of technical expertise, I am happy to be next to that person.
In that case, Kartikay comes next. @kartikay please respond.
Any updates?

The preamplifier is fine, and can be sent, if anyone is interested.

The amplifier, seems to have an issue only in the right channel. While I did connect the speakers and then switched them on and that too at zero volume. Also, tried a change of wiring to see if its a wiring issue and it seems to have the same problem.

Happy to send across to the next person as Capt. Rajesh deems right.

I can look at the amp.
Happy to send across to the next person as Capt. Rajesh deems right.
As per the responses, @kartikay gets to look at the amp and try it out. Let's work out the schedule.
The preamplifier is fine, and can be sent, if anyone is interested.
Looks like there's no interest in the HP/ Pre-amp. If there anyone in Bangalore who wants to try it out, they may express their interest here. Else, it'll be passed on to FMs from other cities.
If there is a problem, I can get it serviced in Chennai if not done in Bangalore
That's a great gesture @Kannan. Let's hope FM Kartikay gets it back to shape.

As per the responses, @kartikay gets to look at the amp and try it out. Let's work out the schedule.

Looks like there's no interest in the HP/ Pre-amp. If there anyone in Bangalore who wants to try it out, they may express their interest here. Else, it'll be passed on to FMs from other cities.

That's a great gesture @Kannan. Let's hope FM Kartikay gets it back to shape.

I would like to trial out the IA Tube amp

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back