Here's a chance to sample "Tube Sound"

I tried the Fatman, had a few issues. Its binding posts are too small for my banana plug, so had to find bare speaker wires. Found and fixed them, but it made a loud, horrible noise when switched on (I switched on cd player first and volume was zero). Bit scared to do anything more. Any ideas?

Connecting CD player(oppo)->stereo out->Fatman->Speaker (Speaker is 96db sensitivity, 8ohms impedance)
Maybe you already did this, but then ...

Take the tubes out and reseat them.
If necessary just wipe the terminals with alcohol swabs and dry them out.
Flip the tubes as well. Who knows it may just be a loose contact.

Cheers,
Raghu

I got a message from Kartikay that he has caught cold (feet!? ;)) and wants to pass this. The other FMs who wanted to try out the IA are:

@shyamv
@fLUX
@karthik_ashok

As per FM @sud98 there appears to be some problem with the amp. Let me know who amongst you would like to have a dekko at the amp.

Edit:
P.S @kartikay, no offenses, just kidding.:)

While my experience with trouble shooting tube amps is limited, I am happy to give this a shot. @captrajesh Please let me know when and where I can pick it up.

@kartikay Good meeting you on Saturday. Maybe I can bring it our to your home and we can trouble shoot it together. Let me know.

I also got a message from sharad stating to try the other tubes. But I can see the tubes for the smaller ones, just cant see any equivalent for the larger ones. Will hand it in any case to the next person.

I also got a message from sharad stating to try the other tubes. But I can see the tubes for the smaller ones, just cant see any equivalent for the larger ones. Will hand it in any case to the next person.
The smaller ones are the channel tubes. The center/taller one is probably the rectifier tube.
Normally the channel tubes are the ones "rolled"

Edit:
@kartikay the IA is a hybrid one. So doubt if it is the no load thingie.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
While my experience with trouble shooting tube amps is limited, I am happy to give this a shot. @captrajesh Please let me know when and where I can pick it up.

@kartikay Good meeting you on Saturday. Maybe I can bring it our to your home and we can trouble shoot it together. Let me know.
Down with cold and itchy throat, lets wait for few weeks before any meetups can be planned. :)

Hi guys, sorry, I've been bit busy whole of last week. You can ping Sud98 and schedule pickup. Is that fine with you?

Okay, looks like @shyamv doesn't seem to be interested anymore as he has neither pinged Sud98 nor responded here. For all those interested; since there appears to be some issue with the Amp, whosoever collects the amp needs to do some troubleshooting. Hence he requires to have at least some basic knowledge on electronics in general and tubes in par or have access to a technical expert. Whosoever volunteers first may kindly ping me his No. I'll call him and if satisfied, will let him have the amp.

Since no member seems to be willing to take on a (defective!?) amp and FM @Kannan is willing to get the amp repaired, it has been decided to send it across to him.

Coming to the part of sending the amp from Bangalore to Chennai, since Sud98 said that he is not well versed with packing the amp suitable for sending it across by courier, I'm exploring the possibility of getting it hand carried. @Kannan is willing to travel anywhere across Chennai to collect the amp. Looking for a volunteer who'll pick it up from Bangalore and take it across to Chennai.

Hi guys what’s the preamp Model which is to be done serviced and brand .if any one can send it to Vijayawada I can get it done sing again most probably

From bangalore amp and tubes can be packed separately and tubes in a thermocol box and amp In a regular box packing for safe shipping

Hi guys what’s the preamp Model which is to be done serviced and brand .if any one can send it to Vijayawada I can get it done sing again most probably

From bangalore amp and tubes can be packed separately and tubes in a thermocol box and amp In a regular box packing for safe shipping
@audiofreakss, thank you for the offer. BTW, it's not preamplifier but Integrated Amplifier. Since Sud98 is not confident of courier-proof packing, I'm looking for someone to hand carry it. Chennai being closer to Bangalore FM Kannan said he'll get it looked up by a competent technician Mr. Sayeed
and also since lot of people move by road either way, I'm hoping it to be hand-carried to Chennai. Let's see how it goes.

An update, the Integrated Amp has gone to Arun's cousin in Blr with 6 tubes to roll. Hopefully, it will be a small issue that the technician can resolve.

The tube pre is still awaiting the next person to sample the same.

If there's no interest at Bangalore, we'll get it shipped to Hyderabad where, at least 3 FMs are lying in wait.:)
Sir, I am interested to try and and experience the tube sound. I am from Bangalore and not sure if I am eligible to have it coz my tenure in this forum.
If Yes, I would like to experience it once before it leaves Bangalore.

Regards,
Som

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back