Hi-fi Novice: Need advice on good amp & speaker set for abt 20k

Reds4ever

Hi,

Before I begin, let me confess to having very little knowledge on hi-fi systems and would be thankful for any help/suggestions that come my way. This is my very first post here.

I'm from Hyd and am looking to buy my first basic hi-fi system. Mentioned below are some details on budget, listening preferences and existing equipment which might help you in providing the right answer to my query.

Budget: around 20-25k

Listening/watching preferences: Rock, a little bit of metal; lots of movies - DVDs, DivX/Xvids

Existing equipment: PS3, 1 HDMI cable, CRT TV (recently relocated to Hyd and looking forward to upgrading to LCD by end of the year)

Size of the room: approx. 12ft * 15ft

Expectations: I understand that the budget I have mentioned above would not allow me to have a good AVR system. But with PS3 doing video upscaling (useful when i do get the LCD) and acting as the source of the sound, I'm hoping (please correct me if i'm wrong) that a good basic audio setup (amp and bookshelf speaker set) would enable me to have a decent HT system.

Initial Impressions: Through browsing the posts here, I can see that I could potentially look at Wharfedale 9.1s and a decent budget amp for approx 10k. I haven't yet had the chance to visit Vector Systems, Sound & Vision and other shops in Hyd to sample stuff just yet. I do, however, intend to do so soon once I have some options to throw at them.

It'd be great if with this info, you could help me with a few choices that I could potentially look at.

Thanks.

hey Reds, nice to see someone who has gone through the threads and sort of "hit the ground running".....assuming 25k as your budget....if you buy wharfedale 9.1s which cost 11k, that would leave you about 14k for the amp which would give you options between the Cambridge Audio 340A (not the SE) and the Marantz PM4001, both are small amps that should drive the 9.1s well. I am sure there are other options that others will chip in with.

But it is my understanding (not through audition) that the combination of a CA 340A and Wharfedale 9.1s should be a good combo. i am saying this because I am also considering the same combination. If you do audition these, do let us know how it sounded.

i have heard yamaha, onkyo, jbl, harmkardon.

i prefer onkyo... i have finalised on HTS5100 7.1 channel

u can viist e-zone, sumaria

Hi,

Before I begin, let me confess to having very little knowledge on hi-fi systems and would be thankful for any help/suggestions that come my way. This is my very first post here.

I'm from Hyd and am looking to buy my first basic hi-fi system. Mentioned below are some details on budget, listening preferences and existing equipment which might help you in providing the right answer to my query.

Listening/watching preferences: Rock, a little bit of metal; lots of movies - DVDs, DivX/Xvids

Existing equipment: PS3, 1 HDMI cable, CRT TV (recently relocated to Hyd and looking forward to upgrading to LCD by end of the year)

Expectations: I understand that the budget I have mentioned above would not allow me to have a good AVR system. But with PS3 doing video upscaling (useful when i do get the LCD) and acting as the source of the sound, I'm hoping (please correct me if i'm wrong) that a good basic audio setup (amp and bookshelf speaker set) would enable me to have a decent HT system.

Initial Impressions: Through browsing the posts here, I can see that I could potentially look at Wharfedale 9.1s and a decent budget amp for approx 10k. I haven't yet had the chance to visit Vector Systems, Sound & Vision and other shops in Hyd to sample stuff just yet. I do, however, intend to do so soon once I have some options to throw at them.

It'd be great if with this info, you could help me with a few choices that I could potentially look at.

Thanks.

Thanks, psychotropic.. i'll try these two options when i visit the stores.. will also see if i can try Norge (have higher output and are cheaper but have read mixed reviews overall for them in the forums).. will post the quotes and my experience (though i'm no expert, i must confess)..

Thanks, Girl21.. you've suggested some good "HT in a box" options.. i'm presently inclined to go for a mix & match option (as it affords better control).. am planning to gradually invest to setup a complete HT system.. will keep ur advice in mind though..

Went out this weekend to get a demo of a few home theatre setup. Here's how my experience has been so far.. would appreciate any views/counter-views or guidance that comes my way..

First I went to Vector Systems, Hyderabad. Demoed the following 2 setups:
- Wharfedale 9.1s (Rs. 10900, after discount) + Norge 1000 (Rs. 10000)
To be honest, I was quite underwhelmed. No disrespect to Norge, but I don't think the amp was able to power the speakers well enough. I'm no audiphile but to me there was a lack of clarity, although there was no issue on loudness.
- Wharfedale 9.1s + Yamaha (2 channel amp, approx Rs 20k, sorry I don't remember the model)
The experience was better with much more clarity on different instruments. But again, i was not very enthused abt it. Perhaps I had too high expectations.

Then I went to e-zone (at HomeTown) and got a chance to check out the following system:
- Onkyo 304 AVR (18k price) + Jamo 406 speakers (27K price)
Demoed a few movie clips and really liked it. The different channels really gave a terrific theatre experience.

On reading through the posts here, i was more or less convinced on the merit of a mix & match setup, starting with a pair of 9.1s and gradually building a great HT system over time. But now, after my experience, I feel that a regular 5.1 setup makes more sense for me.

I demoed two more setups at Bajaj Electronics - Onkyo HT S3105 (19.5k) and Onkyo 304 amp paired with SKR 230 speakers (29.5k overall). While the oomph was decidedly lacking from the 3105 as compared to the much higher priced 304+Jamo combo, I couldn't find any difference between the s3105 and 304+SKR230 setup, which makes me believe that the SKR230s definitely don't take full advantage of the 304 amp.

With my budget of between 20-30k (and already having a DVD player and a PS3), i'm looking for an AVR + speakers setup. Any suggestions on a good combination?

hey the Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 setup is something I have heard quite extensively and I think it's a killer deal for the money (the whole thing is available together for 30k right?). You can't get a better home theater setup for the same money. You can add on a Jamo sub later for about 10k.

It may not have the level of clarity and detail that the Wharfedale Diamonds do, but assembling a 5 speaker or 5.1 speaker setup using these would be a lot more costly.

If you liked the sound of the Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 combo.....then by all means go for it.

Reds4ever, I can identify to some extent with your present position. I too wanted to build a 2 channel system and then got smitten by the AVR bug. Fortunately, I stopped with the AVR and did not go for the speaker combination as a package. Now that some time has passed, I see the advantage in such a mix and match approach. It is far more painful and effort intensive, but I feel it also helps you get good grip and understanding on a subject which is close to heart.

That said if you still would like to go for an AVR system, please consider the Canton Movie series. These are minute speakers which impress mightily for their size. I was suitably impressed when I auditioned them extensively. The sub which partners this system is also quite good. It is not the most powerful but it is fairly musical and good value.

I must add that I have not listened to the Jamo speakers and so will not be able to provide a comparison point.

Thanks, psychotropic and thevortex.

The quote for Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 given to me was over 40k. Psychotropic, when you are hinting that getting such a combo for 30k might be feasible, are you talking about a 5.0 package? Would the absense of a subwoofer not spoil the experience hugely? I read somewhere on this forum that Jamo 406 is available at Reliance Digital for under 15k. I'm assuming that's a 5.0 package again. I'll try out their shop to see if they are offering the Jamo 406 HCS package and Onkyo 304 at a good price.

Thevortex, I completely understand your decision to stick to the original mix & match approach. While I'll also probably go for a separate Amp and a separate set of speakers, it might be a little too much for me to pick the front, rear, centre speakers and the sub woofer separately. It'd surely be a worthwhile exercise, though, if one were to go that way. Would you, by any chance, know as to where in Hyderabad can I audition the speaker set that you are refering to?

hey the Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 setup is something I have heard quite extensively and I think it's a killer deal for the money (the whole thing is available together for 30k right?). You can't get a better home theater setup for the same money. You can add on a Jamo sub later for about 10k.

It may not have the level of clarity and detail that the Wharfedale Diamonds do, but assembling a 5 speaker or 5.1 speaker setup using these would be a lot more costly.

If you liked the sound of the Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 combo.....then by all means go for it.

I'll second that. Pretty good combination for the money.

Hi,

May be you should look at the Pulz Status 203 and pre power amplifier combination of the PUlZ RS 100 and Pulz RS 250.

This set up known across India for the legendary sound reproduction quality and service support back up.

Please check up http://www.rns.co.in,http://www.pulz.co.in

Hi,

Thanks.

yup, i was talking about the 5.0....the 5.1 would be 40k......even without the sub this package delivers decent bass, but yes it would be a lot better with the sub. Check it out in both avtaars and see.

Thanks, psychotropic and thevortex.

The quote for Onkyo 304 + Jamo 406 given to me was over 40k. Psychotropic, when you are hinting that getting such a combo for 30k might be feasible, are you talking about a 5.0 package? Would the absense of a subwoofer not spoil the experience hugely? I read somewhere on this forum that Jamo 406 is available at Reliance Digital for under 15k. I'm assuming that's a 5.0 package again. I'll try out their shop to see if they are offering the Jamo 406 HCS package and Onkyo 304 at a good price.

Thevortex, I completely understand your decision to stick to the original mix & match approach. While I'll also probably go for a separate Amp and a separate set of speakers, it might be a little too much for me to pick the front, rear, centre speakers and the sub woofer separately. It'd surely be a worthwhile exercise, though, if one were to go that way. Would you, by any chance, know as to where in Hyderabad can I audition the speaker set that you are refering to?

Thanks, amisra. I've heard about Pulz but I'm looking at a 5.1 setup. Getting that done with the components which you've suggested might be difficult in my budget (upto 30k). I'm considering Onkyo + Jamo combination (if I can get it in my budget).

Hi All,

I've finally taken the plunge and bought an Onkyo 304E (12990 from Reliance Digital) and Jamo 406 HCS (15900 from eZone, Hyd) combination.. The Reliance Digital folks in Hyd didn't have Jamo speakers or I could've saved a couple of grand there.. I've connected the the 2 front speakers and the centre speaker with DAC 14 gauge cables and the rear speakers with 16 gauge cables from the same company.. PS3 is acting as the source of the content and is currently connected to the Onkyo through component cables (plan to replace them with an optical cable soon)..

The Onkyo/Jamo guys haven't yet turned up to do the demo/setup so i'm currently running it on my own.. it'll be great if you guys can help me on the following 2 points..
- One of the Front speakers is sounding weaker than the other.. i've tried compensating for that by providing a boost in that channel through the receiver.. is it normal for such a thing to happen? if not, will my warranty enable me to get a replacement for this front speaker?
- Any tips on what tweaks I can apply to get the best sound from the system? The multiple listening modes are very confusing..

Thanks..

Hi All,

I've finally taken the plunge and bought an Onkyo 304E (12990 from Reliance Digital) and Jamo 406 HCS (15900 from eZone, Hyd) combination.. The Reliance Digital folks in Hyd didn't have Jamo speakers or I could've saved a couple of grand there.. I've connected the the 2 front speakers and the centre speaker with DAC 14 gauge cables and the rear speakers with 16 gauge cables from the same company.. PS3 is acting as the source of the content and is currently connected to the Onkyo through component cables (plan to replace them with an optical cable soon)..

The Onkyo/Jamo guys haven't yet turned up to do the demo/setup so i'm currently running it on my own.. it'll be great if you guys can help me on the following 2 points..
- One of the Front speakers is sounding weaker than the other.. i've tried compensating for that by providing a boost in that channel through the receiver.. is it normal for such a thing to happen? if not, will my warranty enable me to get a replacement for this front speaker?
- Any tips on what tweaks I can apply to get the best sound from the system? The multiple listening modes are very confusing..

Thanks..

Hi ,

congrats on the new setup. Enjoy and have fun !

Aryan

Thanks..

Reds congratulations on the new sound gear.

New speakers can sound stiff as the parts take a while to open up. Speakers need time to break in and you can do a search for how much time etc on here. However you should bring it to the attention of the Jamo service people and if its something that needs replacement make sure you get it taken care of asap.

Speaker positioning will be one of the easiest "tweaks" you can do. Move your speakers around (if you can) and see how your sound stage changes. Sometimes speakers tend to sound dead in a particular location and then when you move it away from a wall it suddenly comes to life.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back