hi..just joined,,need help on HT buying

sam

hi folks.
this is my first post...i just joined the group...i am a beginner vis a vis u veterans...need to buy a home theatre for music and movies.this is my usage pattern...

i wd be watching movies thru cable..tata sky mostly...once a week thru DVD..might be pirated ..not sure on that..
i like to listen to hindi music..songs, ghazals, some englist country stuff etc..
budget is 25-35k

not sure is it sounds stupid...but shd i look at types of onkyo, bose,jbl or stick to sony and philips.

also i was keen if i cd get a system i can move out of my tv room at times to other room...so something not so bulky.

pls help...i'm sure u folks hv sen it all.

cheers sam !

just to add...the size of my TV room...which is my master BR is 14 by 18 ft...

Welcome Sam.

Just to make things clear at the outset the budget is pretty limited. I can list the following that you can audition for yourself and take a pick from.

1. Onkyo 5105 (the best of the lot).
2. Onkyo 3100/3105.
3. Philips 4750.
4. Yamaha HTIBs (cannot remember the model nos., I'm sorry),

Of course it goes without saying carry your own CDs/DVDs and have them play music/movies you are familiar with.

You can consider JBL too, but leave out Bose. Also, do note that you will find music performance lacking in most of the HTIBs though they will perform quite well for movies especially for DTS/Dolby Digital content with digital cables. Most importantly weigh your options and take your time auditioning and deciding.

Finally, welcome aboard and enjoy your foray into the Hi-Fi world. It's a never ending pursuit and something you'll become aware of very soon.

thanks moserw.

Just one more thing.....i also realised that going forward we might be using online radio etc .so do these htib also help connect to internet thru wireless LAN etc. how does it work

regards

thanks moserw.

Just one more thing.....i also realised that going forward we might be using online radio etc .so do these htib also help connect to internet thru wireless LAN etc. how does it work

regards

All the modes I've listed come with a separate AVR with the Philips 4750 being the only exception. A separate AVR comes with a lot more connectivity options and all you will need is a digital out from the PC Soundcard to connect to the AVR and you can enjoy music on the PC, online radio, etc. played via the AVR. Only caveat here is music does not sound great on a multi-channel AVR and will sound much better on a stereo 2-channel setup.

moserw,

went thru some of the threads....i always thought HTIB is music system plus Home theatre fr movies...

i want a system which i'll use for music 70% time and movies may be 30%....also ideally something which i can carry from my bedroom to living room...as the TV is in BR and at times folks want to watch TV while i want to listen to music in a different room.

with this reqt do u think i'm right looking for HTIB....if yes then which one...i'll be checking onkyo 5105 today...and also philips 4750 sometime later this week.

pls suggest....is there something which is as good, well priced and also easy to move....:) asking 4 toomuch i guess....i'm not too great a music lover so not too high expectations also.

cheers sam

also pls tell diff between 2.1 channel and 5.1 .....from music point of view...

also pls tell diff between 2.1 channel and 5.1 .....from music point of view...

The .1 in 2.1/5.1/7.1 is the subwoofer, absolutely essential in a HT setup, but opinions differ in a stereo setup. Some (purists actually) prefer only 2.0 for playing music, but would need FS that go really low to handle the LFE.

Music is recorded in stereo i.e. 2 channel and I am sure you'll appreciate it when played on a headphone with some sounds heard in the left ear and some in the right ear. In a 5.1 setup the same music is played on all speakers, but does not really sound great. This has more to do with electronics in the AVRs rather than the number of speakers, but the AVRs in a HT system are manufactured to handle the movie sound FX and not stereo music. That's why an explosive action scene will sound better than a song by Michael Jackson on a HT system. Of course some new generation of AVRs (particularly I have found the Yamaha 663) do play music pretty well, but still not as good as a stereo setup. For music you will need a stereo amplifier rather than a 5.1/7.1 otherwise you will need to compromise a bit on music quality.

moserw,

went thru some of the threads....i always thought HTIB is music system plus Home theatre fr movies...

i want a system which i'll use for music 70% time and movies may be 30%....also ideally something which i can carry from my bedroom to living room...as the TV is in BR and at times folks want to watch TV while i want to listen to music in a different room.

with this reqt do u think i'm right looking for HTIB....if yes then which one...i'll be checking onkyo 5105 today...and also philips 4750 sometime later this week.

pls suggest....is there something which is as good, well priced and also easy to move....:) asking 4 toomuch i guess....i'm not too great a music lover so not too high expectations also.

cheers sam

This is asking too much. Unfortunately, nothing exists that will satisfy you on all fronts. Have a listen and decide for yourself, but you will need to compromise on something. If you have the budget for it then go with 2 setups one for movies and another for music, or else a high end unit which will do well for both, but an AVR like the Yamaha 663 costs around 50K or so and then additional costs for speakers, source, cables, etc. means more than a lac will need to be spent.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back