Hi to all and help solicited for a mid fi set up

fefe

Hi Guys & gals (hope there r are few!!!)

Am Fefe from bbay, not an audiophile but l love my music. HAve a set up comprising a Harman Integrated amp, marantz cd player and Bose 301 bookshelves.
The above set up was a gift from a person who i know is active on this forum too. I need help for a new set up (ill retain the cdp) and the budget is about 1 L.
Music is retro, world music and classical.
Mr DK i'll be happy to take your current set up if u are 'chucking'!!! Hahaha
Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Hi Guys & gals (hope there r are few!!!)

Am Fefe from bbay, not an audiophile but l love my music. HAve a set up comprising a Harman Integrated amp, marantz cd player and Bose 301 bookshelves.
The above set up was a gift from a person who i know is active on this forum too. I need help for a new set up (ill retain the cdp) and the budget is about 1 L.
Music is retro, world music and classical.
Mr DK i'll be happy to take your current set up if u are 'chucking'!!! Hahaha
Thanks in advance,

HI Fe,
Just junk those Bose and buy anything that appeals to u. Told u that is the best option.
NO NEED to spend 1 L unless u are really going to listen and look after the HIFI.
The HArman is 60 W and will drive most of the current Bookshelves(only look at BS for ur room)Look at some MOnitor Audio (boomarang) I think u will like that sound.
Am not junking anything now!!!!!
Another thing to keep in mind is the amp is now about 18 years old!!!!!!!! Am surprised its still fine but i dont know if it will remain fine. Buy a speaker for about 25/30K and then buy an amp for about the same when the Harman fails and i think u will have decent HIFI. Go hear whatever and call me before u just put down the money.
Rgds

HI Fe,
Just junk those Bose and buy anything that appeals to u. Told u that is the best option.
NO NEED to spend 1 L unless u are really going to listen and look after the HIFI.
The HArman is 60 W and will drive most of the current Bookshelves(only look at BS for ur room)Look at some MOnitor Audio (boomarang) I think u will like that sound.
Am not junking anything now!!!!!
Another thing to keep in mind is the amp is now about 18 years old!!!!!!!! Am surprised its still fine but i dont know if it will remain fine. Buy a speaker for about 25/30K and then buy an amp for about the same when the Harman fails and i think u will have decent HIFI. Go hear whatever and call me before u just put down the money.
Rgds

What about the Dali Lektor 2s?

Hi fefe,

Welcome to the forum.

With Mr. DK on your side, why do you need advice from us? :D He is a kind man too, so help from him appears whenever you need it.

I am just curious. Which 18 year old Harman Kardon amp do you have? Is it the HK6350? I have a HK6300, now exactly 20 years old. A couple years ago, it needed a bit of servicing, basically a bit of cleaning up and change of capacitors. Now it's running again as good as new, although exactly at this point it is in stand-by mode because I have acquired another amp recently.

If your amp is something similar to mine, it's very dynamic and eager, so wouldn't something slightly more laid back than Monitor Audio suit better and tame the eagerness a bit? But then Mr. DK is the boss about these things especially since he appears to have heard your amp. I am a novice, so will leave that to him. Just a thought!

Regards.

Last edited:
Oh, so you're Dinyaar's friend (DK). As Asit pointed out you've got the best man for hifi (vast experience), so whatever I suggest is going to be nothing in front of 'DK'.

Hi guys,

Yes she is a friend and am really surprised to find her on HFV.
Asit this was the Harman Amp i had alongwith 'the great Bose' 301 in the early 90s.Frankly it worked for me and for the music i heard at that age. I think its the 6300, maybe i'm off on the model though. Its a 60wpc amp that plays well and heats like a frying pan.
the cdp is more likely to be the marantz 6002 and the IC and the speaker cables cost more than the combined set up! She also had my Sony classic cdp but that conked as it went to her house!!!!
Thanks Vinod but i doubt u would say the above if u knew the mistakes i have made in HIFI in these decades.
Problem in the late 80s /90s was u were almost always buying blind, buying refurbished and there were almost no hifi vendors at least in bbay and the few items that were offered were always way beyond a college going persons budget.
Reason i suggested MA is that she always finds most 'civilized' set ups dull and boring. Am sure there will be tons of other options too.

BTW Fe did u find a difference with all the cables u swapped? Which of my cables did u like? The VDH or the KIMBER.
Dont just feel that u need to spend 1L. U will find a speaker that is way better than the Bose for under 30K. Maybe then u can gift the bose to someone as selling will hardly get u anything today.
Lastly MAYBE i can get u a B&W 601S III for a song. But thats a big maybe as my cousin who has the B&W/Rotel combo is moving to a large apartment in Nov and is intending to upgrade.She has used the set up for about 4 years. The amp is the RA 03 which is decent too. U could consider.
Rgds

Last edited:
oye dinyaar
have i met fefe? or was that your cousin

nway i dont think theres any better advice to give than what youve already got from Dinyaar

the harman amp is good and so is the source
just get some bookshelves
my favourites were the MA BR2,Kef IQ3,PSB image and Tannoy

if youve got a larger budget you should really consider the Quad 12L2 or 11L2

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back