HiFi in Japan

Good luck Panditji. When I travelled to Tokyo for the first time, I was starry eyed about audio, but everything about shopping in Tokyo was so magnificent that I never got around to the mundane task of looking at audio...

Ginza is a good place to stay. If you want to really look around Yodabashi Camera in Akihabara is the place..its top floor is full of Hifi

Not looking at buying anything there but just wanted to check out stuff... Would be grateful if I can get advice on what to order for vegetarians as I can only think of veg Ramen and bakery as of now.. any idea on veg dishes will be very helpful..

Akihabara is on top of my list to check hifi.. Have imported my Luxman from one of the shops there years ago but still want to check out different stuff with Tannoys as they seem to be a rage there along with JBL

Not looking at buying anything there but just wanted to check out stuff... Would be grateful if I can get advice on what to order for vegetarians as I can only think of veg Ramen and bakery as of now.. any idea on veg dishes will be very helpful..

There are Indian joints in Tokyo. Please carry a Japanese text printout saying you do not eat meat/Fish/Eggs etc and show it at any shop and they will point out the dishes you can eat.

Even in bakery there can be a risk :). lots of takeout places where you can choose the food you want and they sell it it by weight.

Last edited:
Hi, travelling to Tokyo in March.. Any recommendations to check out Hifi or CDs in and around Tokyo? Have booked a couple of hotels in Ginza and Roppongi.. Which one is a better place to stay?

Disk Union is one place you should definitely visit. They are all over Tokyo (Shinjuku Disk union is the biggest!). Tower records is another good place for CDs and hifi equipment. The biggest branch is in Shibuya. It's like a big mall. If you're looking for cheap, second hand audio gear..just walk around the streets of Akihabara (behind Yodobashi and Bic camera buildings). You'll find lots of such shops.

If you're looking for used vinyl/CDs, look out for local record stores (Lighthouse records, Face Records, Jet Set records, Technique, etc)..You can get CD/LPs in Disk Union also..but these other local record stores will be almost 1.5-2 times cheaper.

Happy shopping. It's the best place in the world for music and music equipment!

Hi, travelling to Tokyo in March.. Any recommendations to check out Hifi or CDs in and around Tokyo? Have booked a couple of hotels in Ginza and Roppongi.. Which one is a better place to stay?

Ginza is an upmarket area with lot of flagship designer showrooms but not many Hifi shops, the only one I saw in Ginza is a Yamaha showroom in 2015. Akihabhara is the place for Hifi and you already know that. I bought Harbeth Compact 7es3 during my last visit. Japan is the best place to buy Accuphase but it is difficult to get 230V version I guess.

You can look for all sort of cables ( good quality used) if you are interested.

Restarting this thread as I had to cancel my trip to Tokyo due to Covid... Visiting Tokyo now in November this year so please feel free to suggest any new audio brands to check in Akihabara or things to see in Tokyo .. Planning to visit a couple of Jazz cafes to listen to the Tannoy Westminsters and any recommendation would be welcome.. Staying in Roppongi and travelling solo...

yodobashi camera in Akihabara , you will not need any other place. it has a huge selection of Headphones, stereo components, accesories, tubes etc of all ranges.

Yodobashi and BIC Camera are on my radar apart from a couple of big hifi stores in Akihabara..Wanted to know any Japanese hifi brand which I should be checking out... Also interesting things to eat for a vegetarian especially bakery..

Ginza is an upmarket area with lot of flagship designer showrooms but not many Hifi shops, the only one I saw in Ginza is a Yamaha showroom in 2015. Akihabhara is the place for Hifi and you already know that. I bought Harbeth Compact 7es3 during my last visit. Japan is the best place to buy Accuphase but it is difficult to get 230V version I guess.

You can look for all sort of cables ( good quality used) if you are interested.
How did you ship it from Japan? Did you carry it in baggage somehow ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back