Hifiberry/Allo DAC for Raspberry Pi Zero

gourav

I'm using Raspberry Pi Zero with Volumio for audio streaming from NAS and Spotify. As of now I have simply connected it to the HDMI port of my AVR. The sound is pretty good. I was wondering how much difference does a DAC like Hifiberry DAC+ Zero or Allo Miniboss I2S DAC make to the sound quality. Is it worth buying? Are these, or any similar products, available in India? I saw a few on Robu.in, but none of them were compatible with the Pi Zero.

Most of the AVR has a better DAC than the one present in HiFiBerry. Thus, in my opinion, there won't be any significant improvement going for HiFiBerry, in case you are planning to use the amplifier of the AVR (bypassing the built-in DAC).

I'm using Raspberry Pi Zero with Volumio for audio streaming from NAS and Spotify. As of now I have simply connected it to the HDMI port of my AVR. The sound is pretty good. I was wondering how much difference does a DAC like Hifiberry DAC+ Zero or Allo Miniboss I2S DAC make to the sound quality. Is it worth buying? Are these, or any similar products, available in India? I saw a few on Robu.in, but none of them were compatible with the Pi Zero.
One of the best budget DAC hat for RPi is BOSS DAC from Allo. You can assemble a boss streamer with the hat and your RPi. It will sound much better then the internal AVR DAC. My suggestion will be to go for Allo Boss 2 package without the RPi.

Hi gourav. I am using allo miniboss with pi zero w and 3b+ for last 3 years , and greatly satisfied with the combination.

Pimoroni DAC is also good I had lustened, but miniboss really satisfy with cost to quality parameter.
Happy listening

One of the best budget DAC hat for RPi is BOSS DAC from Allo. You can assemble a boss streamer with the hat and your RPi. It will sound much better then the internal AVR DAC. My suggestion will be to go for Allo Boss 2 package without the RPi.
Indeed. Boss2 is far better than hifiberry. It is probably the best DAC available for RPI in this price category. This has been Allo's highly popular DAC. IT is very rare for Amir from ASR to recommend something. In this review he actually goes far enough to recommend it.
Conclusions
The Allo Boss2 performs excellently and on par with separate components. Yet here, you have it all integrated in one box, ready to go at the same or more competitive price. The value add in the form of the display and remote is great. What can I say, you need to run and buy one. :)

It is my pleasure to recommend the Allo Boss2 streamer and player.

Indeed. Boss2 is far better than hifiberry. It is probably the best DAC available for RPI in this price category. This has been Allo's highly popular DAC. IT is very rare for Amir from ASR to recommend something. In this review he actually goes far enough to recommend it.

Yes. You can find Amir's review on YouTube.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back