High resolution audio file playing through home theatre or active speakers

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Hi
All,
Along side listening to music from different sources like turntable, tape deck, CD ,I am yet to take a plunge in to portable audio domain. I have found a lot of players in Amazon. Of them I have chosen Fiio M3K because of its price and some other features. Now my questions are
1) can it be connected to any active speakers?
2) can audio files be taken in SD card using card reader from computer?
3) Does the unit require any external DAC?
Hope the HFV fraternity will help me just as they rendered support in case of turntable.
Regards
Bhaskar

FiiO M3K is a personal Digital Audio Player.
On the move use the headphone out; it is an all in one (player/dac/headphone amp)
If using it with active speakers, there are 2 options:
1. Use the HP out (FiiO internal DAC is still in play) to connect to Aux In (if available) of active speakers
2. Use USB out to connect to outboard USB DAC of your choice

Files can be transferred from computer to SD card and played if the player supports it.
FiiO has broad range of support for music formats.

Cheers,
Raghu

On the move use the headphone out; it is an all in one (player/dac/headphone amp)
1. Use the HP out (FiiO internal DAC is still in play) to connect to Aux In (if available) of active speakers

Files can be transferred from computer to SD card and played if the player supports it.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
Dear Raghu
Not being so tech savvy may I ask you what is HP out? Again I would like to know whether this gadget can be connected to an AVR?
Regards
Bhaskar

Dear Raghu
Not being so tech savvy may I ask you what is HP out? Again I would like to know whether this gadget can be connected to an AVR?
Regards
Bhaskar
Sorry for the abbreviation. HP out is headphone out.
Now this is a tricky thing to do if your AVR or Amp does not support this input natively.
HP out is already an amplified signal (unlike fixed line out; usually that is a 2V signal).
So directly connecting to line in can cause distortion in audio output.

My understanding of FiiO USB was wrong. It does not output on USB.
It can be used as a USB DAC; to be used between PC USB and headphones.

BTW what AVR do you have? It may help in understanding the ecosystem and suggesting any alternatives.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Raghu

Sorry for the abbreviation. HP out is headphone out.
Now this is a tricky thing to do if your AVR or Amp does not support this input natively.
HP out is already an amplified signal (unlike fixed line out; usually that is a 2V signal).
So directly connecting to line in can cause distortion in audio output.

My understanding of FiiO USB was wrong. It does not output on USB.
It can be used as a USB DAC; to be used between PC USB and headphones.

BTW what AVR do you have? It may help in understanding the ecosystem and suggesting any alternatives.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Raghu
Dear
Raghu
At present I don't have any AVR. But later I shall buy one. Now I have a pair of tower speakers ( Philips made). I had connected my audio technica to this speakers since the unit ( TT) allows line level out. Can I connect Fiio M3k to these speakers ( active) using RCA cable? The tower speakers allow aux in. Please suggest.
Regards
Bhaskar

Hmmm...
Maybe others can chime in here.
One expt you can try is to connect your mobile phone HP out to the aux in of speakers.
Keep the volume on mobile muted at first and slowly increase the volume till it sounds about right.
You will get an idea of how it sounds.

If you are making an AVR purchase in the near future, it will play digital formats (most common ones).
Another option is to look for a media player (something like ASUS O'Play) but you lose portability.
I used this for a long time to play digital format music (and movies) from a hard disk.
It is in the same price range as FiiO but it has HDMI (for AVR/TV) and Optical out (for external DAC).

Cheers,
Raghu

Hmmm...
Maybe others can chime in here.
One expt you can try is to connect your mobile phone HP out to the aux in of speakers.
Keep the volume on mobile muted at first and slowly increase the volume till it sounds about right.
You will get an idea of how it sounds.

If you are making an AVR purchase in the near future, it will play digital formats (most common ones).
Another option is to look for a media player (something like ASUS O'Play) but you lose portability.
I used this for a long time to play digital format music (and movies) from a hard disk.
It is in the same price range as FiiO but it has HDMI (for AVR/TV) and Optical out (for external DAC).

Cheers,
Raghu
Dear
Raghu
Thanks for the information shared by you.
Regards
Bhaskar

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back