High sensitivity speakers for home theatre

mekr

I was planning to buy home theatre 5.1 surround sound speakers,& read about high sensitivity speakers,llike
JTR
PSA
Chane
JBL pro
DIYsound kits
Chanes 752 & 753 have rave reviews,but not shipped to India
Does any of visions has experience with these kind of speakers in surround sound?

Thanks in advance for your informative experience inputs
Mekr

I was planning to buy home theatre 5.1 surround sound speakers,& read about high sensitivity speakers,llike
JTR
PSA
Chane
JBL pro
DIYsound kits
Does any of visions has experience with these kind of speakers in surround sound?

Mekr

Which AVR do you have? Brand / Model?

You should add Klipsch to the list.

A sensitive speaker is useful if your amplification power is going to be limited, if you intend on driving speakers with a budget AV receiver.

I've not heard of JBL Pro. If you mean the Cinema Series, they are huge speakers and need quality power, else that sensitivity bit starts sounding like someone screaming in your ears.

You should add Klipsch to the list.

A sensitive speaker is useful if your amplification power is going to be limited, if you intend on driving speakers with a budget AV receiver.

I've not heard of JBL Pro. If you mean the Cinema Series, they are huge speakers and need quality power, else that sensitivity bit starts sounding like someone screaming in your ears.
Klipsch sensitivity rating is misleading.

JTR
PSA
Chane
JBL pro
DIYsound kits

Mekr
Have installed high sensitivity speakers (qsc) in two of my home theatre installs ..
Real high sensitivity speakers are made of pro drivers..

You can consider IndiqAudio Platinum Achals (sensitivity is 94.5db) and they do have a seperate line of high sensitivity speakers specially made for HT...Talk to Amit from IndiqAudio for more details.

Kindly look for anechoic sensitivity instead of brands like Klipsch mentioning in room sensitivity.
With anechoic sensitivity of 95db in room sensitivity would be around 98.
Any regular floor Stander would have an in room sensitivity of 93-94 db.

Easy way is to check the drivers used in the speakers.

Some brands.. specially a big USA brand starting with K is fooling around with people and has actually become successful with such misleading claims.

You can consider IndiqAudio Platinum Achals (sensitivity is 94.5db) and they do have a seperate line of high sensitivity speakers specially made for HT...Talk to Amit from IndiqAudio for more details.
That's in room sensitivity.
Full space Anechoic sensitivity will be less than 90.

That's in room sensitivity.
Full space Anechoic sensitivity will be less than 90.
Agreed,It means we need a beefy amplifier to drive the speakers in a well treated room? Will the room sensitivity of 94db be enough to fill a medium sized room(250-350 sqft) with minimum treatment ? Sorry if my questions are too noob to ask... Learning a lot from this forum

Agreed,It means we need a beefy amplifier to drive the speakers in a well treated room? Will the room sensitivity of 94db be enough to fill a medium sized room(250-350 sqft) with minimum treatment ? Sorry if my questions are too noob to ask... Learning a lot from this forum
In Indian HT scenario well treated rooms are nothing short of anechoic chambers ( joking ).
But yeah.. a good HT room will have a reverberation time under 0.5 and above 0.3.
I wouldn't be much bothered about the acoustics (which I do) and sensitivity relation.

What is to bother about it the distance from the speaker.
Consider this condition:
If we sit 4 meters( 13 feet) this is a fairly common usage distance.
SPL loss due to distance would be anywhere between 8-10db.
So a 94db/watt sensitivity speaker would need clean 150 watts of power to reach reference levels that's without any headroom.( yeah who needs to reference level playback might be the question) - capability to reach reference level with clarity makes difference at relatively low level listening.
Now coming to speakers with anechoic sensitivity of 95db. It will have in room sensitivity of at least 98db- I'm being conservative.
This speaker would need just 60 watts to achieve same SPL.

High sensitivity speakers play effortlessly and with ease which is clearly audible even at kid's friendly volume levels.

An AB comparison cleared all doubts for me.

In short for movies and high level music listening high sensitivity speakers are a must unless one has lakhs to spend on a high power amplifier and a speaker which could take that much power without compression or distortion.

Kindly look for anechoic sensitivity instead of brands like Klipsch mentioning in room sensitivity.
With anechoic sensitivity of 95db in room sensitivity would be around 98.
Any regular floor Stander would have an in room sensitivity of 93-94 db.

Easy way is to check the drivers used in the speakers.

Some brands.. specially a big USA brand starting with K is fooling around with people and has actually become successful with such misleading claims.
You are right ,reading reviews of high sensitivity speakers,every reviewer mentioned this point of K speakers with misleading information of sensitivity,actually which is in reality 5 to 6 db less than mentioned

In Indian HT scenario well treated rooms are nothing short of anechoic chambers ( joking ).
But yeah.. a good HT room will have a reverberation time under 0.5 and above 0.3.
I wouldn't be much bothered about the acoustics (which I do) and sensitivity relation.

What is to bother about it the distance from the speaker.
Consider this condition:
If we sit 4 meters( 13 feet) this is a fairly common usage distance.
SPL loss due to distance would be anywhere between 8-10db.
So a 94db/watt sensitivity speaker would need clean 150 watts of power to reach reference levels that's without any headroom.( yeah who needs to reference level playback might be the question) - capability to reach reference level with clarity makes difference at relatively low level listening.
Now coming to speakers with anechoic sensitivity of 95db. It will have in room sensitivity of at least 98db- I'm being conservative.
This speaker would need just 60 watts to achieve same SPL.

High sensitivity speakers play effortlessly and with ease which is clearly audible even at kid's friendly volume levels.

An AB comparison cleared all doubts for me.

In short for movies and high level music listening high sensitivity speakers are a must unless one has lakhs to spend on a high power amplifier and a speaker which could take that much power without compression or distortion.
Many HT speakers made by pro audio brands in MTM configuration are sold below USD1000.,while fancy home audio makers cost much much more

In last few months,I have not been able to audition any HT setups in Mumbai ,,but dealers give me audition of floorstanding speakers,or any distributor of speakers in different cities ,who do not have any presence in Mumbai,want customer to visit their showroom in the city where they are located

In last few months,I have not been able to audition any HT setups in Mumbai ,,but dealers give me audition of floorstanding speakers,or any distributor of speakers in different cities ,who do not have any presence in Mumbai,want customer to visit their showroom in the city where they are loca
Have installed high sensitivity speakers (qsc) in two of my home theatre installs ..
Real high sensitivity speakers are made of pro drivers..
What is your experience with the sound of QSC in home theatre ,is the sound natural & relaxing or bright & fatiguing

In last few months,I have not been able to audition any HT setups in Mumbai ,,but dealers give me audition of floorstanding speakers,or any distributor of speakers in different cities ,who do not have any presence in Mumbai,want customer to visit their showroom in the city where they are loca

What is your experience with the sound of QSC in home theatre ,is the sound natural & relaxing or bright & fatiguing
Cinema speakers are calibrated.
Post calibration ( neutral ) they sound dynamic, effortless, fatigue free.
As they don't distort at higher SPL like regular low sensitivity speakers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back