Hindi OST CD's audiophile like quality recording list

kingajit

Dear Friends,

Its difficult to find good recordings for Hindi OST CD's. Many of them though poorly recorded still sound good because of the talented artists/musicians and music directors.

Off late I have been using Aashique 2 for tuning my stereo setup. Right from the first piano notes in the first song to the last number the various tracks are mesmerizing and tend to bring out the best in my system.

The piano notes are very melodious and rhythmic and you will be immediately be able to pickup the flaws in your system if not tuned properly. The singers have so much finesse in their voice and tracks are recorded so well to bring out these emotions.

Piya aaye na, which starts with a mouthorgan is a treat! and so are the various instruments which are so cleverly used - ghatam, flute, santoor , acoustic guitar, electronic guitar, zitar and drums.

Looking for recommendations but limited to only Hindi OST CD's...thanks.

"Barfi" is very good. I like almost all the songs on that OST.

"Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" has some very nice mellow songs like Kabira, Illahi, etc.
The others are also good but are very lively - still good stuff in my opinion.

"Kai Po Che" has three very good songs.

"Chennai Express" has a couple of good songs especially Titli.

Other OSTs that I like to listen to are:
"Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Om Shanthi Om and Anjaana Anjaani

Dear Friends,

Its difficult to find good recordings for Hindi OST CD's. Many of them though poorly recorded still sound good because of the talented artists/musicians and music directors.

Can you elaborate which albums in particular you are finding them to be poorly recorded ? What is your system like ?

I have felt that the cd of baazigar has a decent recording. Also, Jo jeeta wohi sikander. ARR movies like Taal, Daud, Jeans, Kabhi na Kabhi etc are good. Sound of old CDs of these OST have a certain charm to them I think.

"Barfi" is very good. I like almost all the songs on that OST.

"Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" has some very nice mellow songs like Kabira, Illahi, etc.
The others are also good but are very lively - still good stuff in my opinion.

"Kai Po Che" has three very good songs.

"Chennai Express" has a couple of good songs especially Titli.

Other OSTs that I like to listen to are:
"Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Om Shanthi Om and Anjaana Anjaani

Thanks Nikhil....when you mean good you mean the recording is good correct cause my intention is to identify well recorded Hindi OST's?

I don't have Barfi & Anjaana Anjaani and I will order these

Aashiqui 2,Lagan,Lootera,Taal....most of the A R Rahman's ....tracks....

Thanks Maxprocrj...agree with you on " Aashiqui 2,Lagan,Lootera,Taal" cause I have them but not sure if most of Rahmans are well recorded as I don't have all...I will explore and try and order all his Hindi OST's...cheers

Can you elaborate which albums in particular you are finding them to be poorly recorded ? What is your system like ?

Dear Cyber Cat...thanks for your comments but for now I will hold back my response on my setup and stick to compiling the list of well recorded Hindi OST's ..feel free to add...cheers bro

I have felt that the cd of baazigar has a decent recording. Also, Jo jeeta wohi sikander. ARR movies like Taal, Daud, Jeans, Kabhi na Kabhi etc are good. Sound of old CDs of these OST have a certain charm to them I think.

Thanks Sarith, with the exception of Taal I don't seem to have the rest you mentioned. Will source for them cheers.

Based on the recommendations from bros on the forum the list so far:

Aashiqui 2
Anjaana Anjaani
Baazigar
Barfi
Chameli
Chennai Express
Daud
Jeans
Jism
Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander
Kabhi na Kabhi
Kai Po Che
Lagan
Lootera
Om Shanthi Om
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Raincoat
Sawariya
Taal
Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani

I was listening to Barsaat CD and the recording is pretty clean. I also want to add that the new saregama (DADC) CD are average from my experience. I compared it with older HMV CD I have and the spectrum analyzer showed better results on HMV. DADC/Saregama CD files seemed lossy. If you can find older HMV CD, I think it will be better than newer version (eg. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar)

Last edited:
Mostly A.R. Rahman music is good like
Bombay (Polygram/Universal)
Dil Se (Venus)
Pukar (Venus)
Roja (Magnasound)
Rangeela (Time/Tips)

Some ARR are already mentioned
Lagaan (Sony Music)
Taal (Tips)
Jeans (T-Series)
Daud (Tips)

My other recommendations would be
Sir (Lara Music)
Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee (Tips)
Maachis (PAN Music)
Gupt (Tips)
Janbaaz (Polydor/Polygram/Universal)
Qurbani (Polydor/Polygram/Universal)
etc.

There are many melodious movies with good music but above ones are very common and should be in everyones collection.

I was listening to Barsaat CD and the recording is pretty clean. I also want to add that the new saregama (DADC) CD are average from my experience. I compared it with older HMV CD I have and the spectrum analyzer showed better results on HMV. DADC/Saregama CD files seemed lossy. If you can find older HMV CD, I think it will be better than newer version (eg. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar)

Agree, I am happy I have Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar on EMI (Made in USA).

Mostly titles of Saregama/HMV are not that great except few ones. Music on their CDs lacks the quality even in 90's music. Even the 70'-80' sound much better on Polygram/Universal ones.

Mostly A.R. Rahman music is good like
Bombay (Polygram/Universal) Dil Se (Venus) Pukar (Venus) Roja(Magnasound) Rangeela (Time/Tips). Some ARR are already mentioned Lagaan (Sony Music) Taal (Tips) Jeans (T-Series) Daud (Tips). My other recommendations would be Sir (Lara Music) Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee (Tips) Maachis (PAN Music) Gupt (Tips) Janbaaz (Polydor/Polygram/Universal) Qurbani (Polydor/Polygram/Universal) etc.

There are many melodious movies with good music but above ones are very common and should be in everyones collection.
Except for sir and phir teri kahaani yaad aayee. I have Maachis by doordarshan and emi. I wonder how well the pan music CD sounds. Had MJ on pan music in the past though I prefer epic over pan.

Agree, I am happy I have Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar on EMI (Made in USA).

Mostly titles of Saregama/HMV are not that great except few ones. Music on their CDs lacks the quality even in 90's music. Even the 70'-80' sound much better on Polygram/Universal ones.
True that. Had Golden Eye ost and Erasure on HMV label and they sounded pretty good compared to present day saregama.

Except for sir and phir teri kahaani yaad aayee. I have Maachis by doordarshan and emi. I wonder how well the pan music CD sounds. Had MJ on pan music in the past though I prefer epic over pan.

I guess EMI should be good, but I have first copy/edition of Maachis and that sounds great too.

Another note for Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee is the Indian edition is not good, it has some kind of delay in one channel and it sounds like echo.
But the imported Tips/Serengeti Sirocco is awesome.

True that. Had Golden Eye ost and Erasure on HMV label and they sounded pretty good compared to present day saregama.

Yes, but they are bad in Bollywood OSTs.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back