Hiraga Le Monstre build on the anvil

Last edited:
One more thing in power supply - we put ultra fast diodes with switchings noise suppressing caps across it, bleeder and led indicators. With TO-220 packages this power supply tested 2.2A in each rail. All temperatures under control.

Oh, I've seen that. I thought you may have done something different like Keantoken or Mr.Evil's multipliers. Or maybe you have - I wouldn't know :D

I saw they are fabulous designs, even point during design i thought of adding some red LEDs for voltage stabalization. Then just kept my hands away. Even i thought some OPAMP based circuits too.
I tried to keep low count on components and yes chosen simple basic circuit because many of our DIY members want it to be simple to make. So i added few basic alteration into original design. But sticked to basic design.
Though we know many schematic, actually its practically difficult to implement it. This basic was also tough and took 3 weeks efforts to get it into this shape.

Last edited:
Excellent build, congrats on a job well done. My chassis is also almost done, it is having the mountings fitted on Monday and then, after approval removed and go for black powder coating, matt finish. I need to source some mice metal/ rubber feet and I will be done, I have some cheap feet as an interim solution..

Ok, collected my chassis yesterday, black powder coated finish, very similar to what Raghu has made and will plan to assemble and wire up everything in a few days. I have some personal commitments over the next few days so am occupied. I'll post pictures of assembly and send them to Sachin early next week to upload since I can't do it.

Got it completed and it's up and running since last week. Looks wise it is very similar to what was posted earlier, black matt finish powder coated, though I haven't yet got around to fixing a wooden front piece. It's running in a 2 way Altec system, driving the LF units, actively crossed over using a Minidsp 2 X 4 unit, and it's sounding very, very nice. I suspect a few weeks of burning in will improve things a bit more. I'm extremely pleased with this project, which has at it's price point of under 20K given me an excellent bang for the buck.

Thanks George for the update,

BTW why you are driving LF with it? Class A Power Amp supposed to be having notable difference in Mid and HF area.

We are waiting for Pics :D

The small red switch next to the mains tranny is a 110/220 voltage selector switch in case my sons want to grab it and take it off to the US!

I feel unsafe for switch position if it toggles accidentally.

Last edited:
You're right, so I placed it inside the enclosure. Its a heavy duty toggle switch and only by opening the lid and switching is it possible to change voltage, not accidentally..

Just bumped into the thread. Fantastic trio this Om, Sachin & Raghu. :clapping:

Congratulations GeorgeO. :)

Did this happen? Awaiting the report eagerly. :licklips:

It did happen, but then George ran into some problems with his HF drivers and comparison had to be suspended till that problem is solved first.

Will happen soon. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

You're right, so I placed it inside the enclosure. Its a heavy duty toggle switch and only by opening the lid and switching is it possible to change voltage, not accidentally..
George ditch that toggle switch. It is NOT idiot proof. Visualise someone 25 years down the road and poking around the cabinet and just toggling it. Boom!

I will give you a proper voltage selector salvaged from a vintage amp when we meet next. Use that. Much safer and 99% idiot proof.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back