Holiday in the Hill's

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
There are some lovely resorts in Rishikesh. I particularly like one where I stay. It’s on the banks of Ganges. It’s called Glasshouse on Ganges. It’s an hours drive from Dehradun airport

Another option, especially that you are in Chennai, could be Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka. Extremely beautiful hilly countryside. Very quiet too.
And very, very romantic, I promise you :D
Sri Lankans are very nice, courteous people. And, among other law abiding attributes, they follow road rules, believe it or not :). We could learn a lot from them.

Been to srilanka last year for 10 days. Stayed there. Also did Ella jungles, candy and further south Unawatuna beach.

Shillong in Meghalaya also known as Scotland of the East is a place which should not be missed. Travel convenience, good roads. Umroi is the airport in Shillong. Quite a few and must places to visit nearby to Shillong (Sohra also known as Cherrapunji, Mawlynnong cleanest village in Asia,Mawsynram)
North Sikkim is a beautiful place. You can have a look at Lachung. Pakyong airport is operational now. I m not sure on the road conditions from Pakyong to Lachung. May not be comfortable for kids. Moktan should be the best person to confirm that.
Landour is another quite hill station and is nearby to Dehradun.
Mcleodganj another hill station which can get crowded ,but has a nice vibe to it. Not sure if you would like the travel time though!

Bhutan is great if you are interested in mountains. Just went there in May. It's clean, wonderful scenery, people are polite, helpful. Plenty to see. I believe you can also stay in out of the way hill areas if that's your thing. Liquor is cheap, beer can is 60 rs! Cuisine is great, including lot of beef and pork dishes, best of all, Indian currency is freely accepted! No visa for Indian nationals!

Hello sandeepss!
celester340, Dharamshala is not crowded in November and has nice cool sunny days. Mcleodganj has a nice vibe with little cafes and hole in the wall places. It however is located atop a small hill and can feel a little cramped at times. If a brush with buddhism and visiting monasteries is on the list also then take a look at Norling house situated inside Norbulingka Monastary in Dharamshala. Eagles nest further up from mcleodganj (5 kms) at roughly 7500 to 8000 ft is a small and comfortable hotel located in the midst of thick cedar jungle and is remote and peacefuel. if memory serves right, FM vivek has stayed there a few years back. Good luck zeroing in on destination of choice and have a nice vacation.

Bhutan is great if you are interested in mountains. Just went there in May. It's clean, wonderful scenery, people are polite, helpful. Plenty to see. I believe you can also stay in out of the way hill areas if that's your thing. Liquor is cheap, beer can is 60 rs! Cuisine is great, including lot of beef and pork dishes, best of all, Indian currency is freely accepted! No visa for Indian nationals!
But passport required. Which my daughter doesn't have for now. So can't do any international trips till that comes through :)

Since it is the Himalayas, I like to mix travel with spirituality.
I found Jageshwar, beautiful , easy with long walks and optional treks to Binsar etc. I don't think there will be snow in November though.
https://www.vanserai.com/ , if you call them up, they can arrange a pickup from Delhi. That way it is pretty comfortable with family.

Hi guys we had pretty much zeroed in on Manāli, however decided to cancel that due to the long car drive from any airport besides Kullu. The kids will be uncomfortable.

So still looking for a place to go. Rishīkesh is also out because we pretty much can’t do rafting, bungee etc since we have two lil kiddos.

Back to square one.

Need something which is close to an airport and thereafter a short drive by car.
Need something to go and do. Trekking, boating etc that can be done with the kids as well.

Hi guys we had pretty much zeroed in on Manāli, however decided to cancel that due to the long car drive from any airport besides Kullu. The kids will be uncomfortable.

So still looking for a place to go. Rishīkesh is also out because we pretty much can’t do rafting, bungee etc since we have two lil kiddos.

Back to square one.

Need something which is close to an airport and thereafter a short drive by car.
Need something to go and do. Trekking, boating etc that can be done with the kids as well.
How old are the kids?

Man up! Go to Kashmir :)

Just kidding. Am from uttarakhand and would throw names of nainital and almora in the ring. You can stay delhi overnight, take the morning shatabdi to kathgodam and its an hour cab drive from there.

if you are not been to munnar before... Try munnar , kerala. Weather will be great in november. Good relaxing place...

Munnar is lovely. Was there last month. Not too high at around 5000 ft.
Did Zoomcar from Kochi airport. It is a 3-4 hour drive depending upon where you are staying.
Though, a bit of road repair was there in the hilly area. Possibly more in coming months due to the recent floods.

Back to square one.

Get passports, you're getting it quite fast nowadays, I got it in less than a week for my daughter. Consider going to Bhutan.

With recent flood situation I'd think of avoiding Kerala for 3 months, Munnar is a very good place otherwise.

A couple of years ago, we holidayed at "Camp Noel" - it's beyond Munnar town. If I remember right, it was a 1.5 hrs drive from Munnar town. The destination was beyond superb! If ever I get the option to live/build in the hills, I'd choose a place like Camp Noel as reference. Not much to do there but THAT was the point.
But, my daughter hated the travel. She feels squeamish on long road rides - especially uphill. So, you have been warned. But squeamish daughter or not, I'd gladly holiday there again, anyday.

Oh boy now I’m more confused than ever! Wherever I go has to be reachable and serviced by an airport. Or maybe a couple of hours drive from an airport. Shimla anyone? My 6 year old wants to see snow (in India). She’s been to Canada 3 times and has seen the snow but she wants to see snow flakes in India lol

Me and the wife want to do nothing but wake up in the morning and have some tea looking at the mountains or hills. And drink some wine. ( it’s also our anniversary so the place has to be romantic ) oh well. Back to the drawing board. What we need is a stress free relaxed holiday. My wife is very outdoorsy and she loves trekking. I like nothing more than to sit all day and watch tv. I’m pretty sure I’m going to end up doing a lil walking up and down some hill surely!

Your friend has a couple of hotels? Damn. Ok, please pm if u can their details. Mussoorie also looks awesome!

I did Kashmir with my 2 kids couple of years back in april (then kids were 12 n 7 yrs old). Situation wasn't great there that time but faced no issues.

Sonmarg and Pehalgam are perfect destinations for your goal. These are not too far from Srinagar so travel is reasonable.
Road to sonmarg may get closed if it snows heavily so early November would be good.
We did spend ~10 days altogether and visited Srinagar, Gulmarg, sonmarg and Pehalgam. Hopefully situation becomes normal by then in general situation is better on ground than what one perceives thru media coverage. I can provide details of hotels used etc if you decide on this destination.

I did Darjeeling in 2001 and found it too crowded that time itself. If you are planning during deewali vacation I wud not recommend it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back