Home Theater Acoustic Advice for low budget

abhisheak

Hi,
My current setup 5.1:
  • AVR: Denon X1400H
  • LCR: Emotiva C1 & B1
  • Surround & L: Polk Audio OWM 3
  • Sub: BIC America PL 200II
I am shifting to a different location, I am planning to have a semi dedicated HT room, since the apartment I am shifting to is semi furnished. I have some scope of setting up that room to have a decent room acoustic. I am looking for advice from fellow members on the budget and know how to model the future room.

Currently what I am planning is to have some form of room acoustic done so to minimize reflection and sound/bass leaking out and disturbing the neighbors. I don't have a huge budget, so can't go for any extravaganza spending.
Fellow member please lend your advice on how to do room acoustic on cheapest budget.
I have read online a bit about the same, but this has led me to be ultra-confused. From curtains to base traps to full on fiberglass treatment. Online websites are selling acoustic materials at exorbitant price.

I also thinking of buying a projector and a screen but for that I will start a separate topic. For this one I need advice for cheapest room acoustic.

Please let me know what extra details needed to give better advice.

The main idea is to control echo and minimising reflection by walls. You can buy rockwool slabs and put it in wooden frames, cover it with cloth and use it as acoustic panels. Thats the easy and effective method. You can use the same for bass traps as well. There are many youtube videos available on how to make acoustic panels from rockwool. It will help you.
Target the first reflection points first. Again you have many tutorials available on youtube.
Hope it helps.

Thanks @ajuvignesh & @headcase, your suggestions are very helpful.

My brother made me realise since we are moving from fully owned house to a builder floor.

Sound leaking out from the room may end up disturbing our neighbours and become a real nuisance. As such I am more inclined towards designing a dedicated HT room with acoustic treatment.
So that minimal sound is leaking out from the HT room.

I have seen quite a few videos related to HT room building DIY and proper room acoustics over the last few days. But none of them are that detailed or newbie friendly.

Can anyone lend insight and share through details on building the same. I have carpenter services available so I can get DIY help also.

Room size is 14x15x9.5
Lowest point of flase ceiling is 9.5 feet high from the floor.
Almirah from the room will be removed.

Plan is to have room acoustics and minimal sound leaking out from the room.

Attachments

• 20220618_0347181655504867148.jpeg
    20220618_0347181655504867148.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220614_1405001655504866388.jpeg
    20220614_1405001655504866388.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220614_1405581655504867904.jpeg
    20220614_1405581655504867904.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220618_0343041655504867484.jpeg
    20220618_0343041655504867484.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220614_1408021655504868218.jpeg
    20220614_1408021655504868218.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220614_1407151655504847929.jpeg
    20220614_1407151655504847929.jpeg
    673.7 KB · Views: 50
Room size is 14x15x9.5

That means, first you need to sound proof the room, then do Acoustics to it..

You want professional grade or a residential grade?

Simplest thing to do : use heavy curtains (black in color) on all sides. Use rock wool panel on ceiling. You can use multiple folded curtains/fabric (as design) also. Use your imaginations. Aim is to break straight acoustic reflections…….ie dispersion to make the room feel ‘dull’ to your likings. You can also use racks/bookshels (like at the back).

Arrange your sitting position taking sue note of room modes. And enjoy the joinery of experiments.

And upgrade slowly by:
Using a measuring mic like UMIK 1 and tame your room.

You can also use acoustic panels from MMT acoustic et al.

Your main issues will be the glass windows -they are very rflective.

Room size is 14x15x9.5

It doesn't look like you would need a whole lot acoustic treatment.

Since you mentioned acoustic treatment & soundproofing for HT so sound won't leak out, these are two different things IMO.

1 If you don't want sound to leak out then you would need a lot of absorption but it will be most suitable for movies case.
2 If you music to sound good then a little acoustic treatment would do.
3 For something that suits both use case scenarios, you would need something inbetween.

So try to achieve max with carpet & curtains as they cover more area and dampen good amounts already. For remaining part you can go with further using some acoustic panels as shared above.

One thing that'd be helpful for door sealant 👇 D shaped self adhesive. Very easy to put it yourself. Can use as a single by splitting or double as is. Very helpful.

Eopzo Weather Stripping Door Seal Strip Weatherstrip Front Window Frame Foam Adhesive Rubber Soundproof Insulation Waterproof Dust-Proof Anti-Collision D-Shape 3m https://amzn.eu/d/bbuauSP

Completely sealing the room to keep the sound is not highly feasible in most cases. The sub rumble will be heard through the walls and floor. The cheapest option to minimise it is to use some isolation product to decouple the sub from the floor. For the rest of your room acoustic issues you can use rock wool or other commercially available products.

And much will depend on

1. How much you want to invest
2. Upto what level you want to sound proof

And the fundamental starting point:
How loud (SPL level) you are going to listen - are you planning a reference Dolby theatre cinema sound or just a simple home theatre sound level which won't damage your ears ? ;)

If you are starting the journey....my suggestion would be to keep it simple and not very loud. (Think of long term ear protection). Don't be too much influence by others or YouTube videos. You will miss discovering simple things which may make you enjoy movies and music without emptying your pockets.

And much will depend on

1. How much you want to invest
2. Upto what level you want to sound proof

And the fundamental starting point:
How loud (SPL level) you are going to listen - are you planning a reference Dolby theatre cinema sound or just a simple home theatre sound level which won't damage your ears ? ;)

If you are starting the journey....my suggestion would be to keep it simple and not very loud. (Think of long term ear protection). Don't be too much influence by others or YouTube videos. You will miss discovering simple things which may make you enjoy movies and music without emptying your pockets.
Here's my exoectations:

1. Budget for acoustics - 80K
2. Bass freq not to leak that much out of the room that it troubles the neighbours and or anyone living on floor above or below.
I understand room sound proofing is neither possible in this budget nor I am aiming to have one either. It is just that I don't want complaints from neighbours.
(I will be moving to 2nd floor)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back