Home theater Budget one lakh INR( and no more)

Dear Sushanth,Kaypaji and Vinsks,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Looks to me that it is going to be a slow process( slower than what i thought it would be)

Have spoken to Ashish of Lacozy, will be able to visit him on 22nd Feb.

Top Gizmos, i have already been, the best they had in my budget was inifinity modulas which according to JBL distributor, is a discontinued model( that too long back). At JBL kalkaji, I went thru the demo of control now 5 , sounded too bright, and good for movies, but not so good for music.

I will plan a visit to Bass n Treble and Profx.Where is Profx but?

Another question is , is there something in-between for fronts possible? I mean which is bigger than the bookshelfs( and has better and more faithful reproduction of sound) and smaller than huge towers?

Do you guys have some ideas on this?

Cheers,

P

Another question is , is there something in-between for fronts possible? I mean which is bigger than the bookshelfs( and has better and more faithful reproduction of sound) and smaller than huge towers?

@parora

Look at my setup, this was arnd 100,000. Got it from Bass N Treble, this was an year ago

AMP
Front
Centre
Rear
Sub
Interconnects

Guys,

A tough question..who are the experts in this forum? I mean can you guys list three genuine experts of Audio who are member here, have unbiased opinion and have helping attitude. Will be greatful.

Meanwhile, i have increased my budget by 10K.

cheers

p

Guys,

A tough question..who are the experts in this forum? I mean can you guys list three genuine experts of Audio who are member here, have unbiased opinion and have helping attitude. Will be greatful.

Meanwhile, i have increased my budget by 10K.

cheers

p

There are experts everywhere. But you should audition as much as possible. Take your own CD's for auditing. Decide your setup based on your own listening and not what experts says. You can always take opinions and definately check prices from forum members.

a few ques
*music, movies or both?
*%age of each if both?
*what kind of music? which format ie cd, mp3, flac, cassettes or records?
*what kind of movies ie dvd, hard disk or blu ray?
*average daily usage in hours?
*brand conscious or hearing conscious?
*where do u live ie metro or small town?

am asking you coz i dont want u to go overboard like i did. u can always treat me to some good scotch from the money u save. the aim is to get more for less and then bcum tom sawyer.
regards
trittya

a few ques
*music, movies or both?
*%age of each if both?

am asking you coz i dont want u to go overboard like i did. u can always treat me to some good scotch from the money u save. the aim is to get more for less and then bcum tom sawyer.
regards
trittya

There are experts everywhere. But you should audition as much as possible. Take your own CD's for auditing. Decide your setup based on your own listening and not what experts says. You can always take opinions and definately check prices from forum members.

thanks, i guess i have to agree, trusting own ear is the best chance.

a few ques
*music, movies or both?
*%age of each if both?

regards
trittya

i responded thru PM

well mr arora
lets talk about craftel/ audiocraft in chennai for amplification
the owner, mr mark is a passionate 2nd gen audio manufacturer who bettered the circuits his dad left him. he doesnt have a website n hardly replies to email but talk to him about his stuff or audio in gen n he will park his car on the side n talk to u for an hour WHILE RETURNING HOME, MIND U. he makes no bones about his eqpt- has a take it or leave it philosophy for the label conscious. he even offers to ship his eqpt for a no obligation trial save the shipping costs. he builds amps/receivers with features like usb slot, pre- out, remote as per your desire. he currently makes amps n receivers n speakers but i cant vouch for the latter. before i forget dont go in for any rear-ported speaker as they cant be wall mounted & need at least 18" breathing space or else u contend with a muddy and resonant bass. also dont buy a 4 ohm spkr if ur avr or amp does 8 ohms. so getting back to craftel. i suggest u go in for his 5.1 avr plus his stereo amp but for this to function as a 7.1 setup u ll need a dvd player with 7.1 outs so that u use the fronts for a 2.1 or 2.0 setup for music. route the other 5.1 or 5.0 stuff thru the avr. u must realize that u wil have to keep both amps on to watch a 7.1 setup of which i m no advocate, coz where do u have a room where u can sit in the center with 3 spkrs up front,1 each on either side & 2 behind. moreover, there are hardly any movies encoded in 7.1 avlb in india. the cheapest 7.1 avr worth considering will not be less than 25k n (i know a pal who bought a marantz 7.1 and does not use the 2 surround slots, in fact he does not even use mr hsu's 6th ventroloquist rear spkr due to installation constraints.) also i am not in favor of the auth dealer route at all. go for the delhi grey market if u have to. from the 25% u save buy god voltage/power conditioning eqpt. if anything goes wrong there is an equally thriving repair market in delhi. eg if u buy a marantz what do u do? their dealership/service centers are adhoc so ur eqpt still goes to the same mechanic(s) thru these adhoc guys who will charge u marantz rates for repair.

parora said:
trittya said:
firstly am not makin any money or am not connected to the names i recommend
a few ques
*music, movies or both?
*%age of each if both?

regards
trittya

Thanks for the message, scotch is done deal !

Music and movies , 50:50

all kind of music, bollywood, rock, pop, vocal

mostly MP3@320 , sometimes CDs but its getting less and less

avrg use ...may be 2 H a day

movies..HBO, Star, DVDs, downloaded ones basically all types, online too

not brand conscious at all

live in NOIDA

i do have a good discerning ear.

looking forward to your suggestions..

cheers,
p

well mr arora
the owner, mr mark is a passionate 2nd gen audio manufacturer who bettered the circuits his dad left him. he doesnt have a website n hardly replies to email but talk to him about his stuff or audio in gen n he will park his car on the side n talk to u for an hour WHILE RETURNING HOME, MIND U. he makes no bones about his eqpt- has a take it or leave it philosophy for the label conscious. he even offers to ship his eqpt for a no obligation trial save the shipping costs. he builds amps/receivers with features like usb slot, pre- out, remote as per your desire. he currently makes amps n receivers n speakers but i cant vouch for the latter. before i forget dont go in for any rear-ported speaker as they cant be wall mounted & need at least 18" breathing space or else u contend with a muddy and resonant bass. also dont buy a 4 ohm spkr if ur avr or amp does 8 ohms. so getting back to craftel. i suggest u go in for his 5.1 avr plus his stereo amp but for this to function as a 7.1 setup u ll need a dvd player with 7.1 outs so that u use the fronts for a 2.1 or 2.0 setup for music. route the other 5.1 or 5.0 stuff thru the avr. u must realize that u wil have to keep both amps on to watch a 7.1 setup of which i m no advocate, coz where do u have a room where u can sit in the center with 3 spkrs up front,1 each on either side & 2 behind. moreover, there are hardly any movies encoded in 7.1 avlb in india. the cheapest 7.1 avr worth considering will not be less than 25k n (i know a pal who bought a marantz 7.1 and does not use the 2 surround slots, in fact he does not even use mr hsu's 6th ventroloquist rear spkr due to installation constraints.) also i am not in favor of the auth dealer route at all. go for the delhi grey market if u have to. from the 25% u save buy good voltage/power conditioning eqpt. if anything goes wrong there is an equally thriving repair market in delhi. eg if u buy a marantz what do u do? their dealership/service centers are adhoc so ur eqpt still goes to the same mechanic(s) thru these adhoc guys who will charge u marantz rates for repair. doesnt make sense, does it?
i have an oppo dvd-980h(no blu ray, how many blu ray movies have u seen up for rent or sale?)which my niece carried for me from canada at 8300 inr its avlb for 10.5k ex delhi i m told. now u may not go in for this but do look for these things in ur player- dvd upscaling and 7.1 out(8 sockets). hdmi out, 7.1 analog out coaxial(1 socket) and an inbuilt DAC (at least 24bit@192 khz) plus a usb in slot to connect your hard drive(for music n movies must use only a powered drive eg seagate freeagent 1tb or wd book 1tb @3k or so, more on that later, but u can always plug in an odd pen drive w/o risk) . a gud bluray option is sony bdp s370@ 9k but only stereo analog out so lesser flexibility n upgrade options. that way if u are so hellbent on bluray then why not get a used sony ps3 less than 80 gb phat model only as later models do not have the capability to run linux n function as a home pc too incl wi fi streaming, gaming and movies n music but again only optical out, video out n stereo out (component) no coaxial so 7.1 audio connectivity options suffer. shud u buy a ps3 do check that its not been uograded to firmware 9.21 of mar 10 wherein sony unscrupulously tok away the lnux pc capablity thru this update. goes w/o saying that u must never ever update ur machine from the ps3 site or else u lose a home pc. no other risk with a used(not misused)ps3. if mark can give u an optical+hdmi in then u can hook up your 5.1 to the avr n the 2.0 out for the stereeo amp but dont forget to ask for a subwofer pre-out pref on both for added flex.

now the spkrs
i strongly recommend the noa1 2.1 setup by rajeev d'souza in mumbai. these are very serious speakers at that prce pt. absolute killer deal. nothing comes even close for 2.1 indian or firangi. so that leaves three more speakers to consider. for the center again i would recommend the lithos q10 speaker but its a 4ohm load which might pose a problem with a marantz budget no nonsense avr like my sr3053 at high volume. u c max dialogue detail in 7.1 or 5.1 movies is routed to the center ch. but wth craftel avr shudnt be a problem. marks center channels n speakers are another option as is telome audio, mumbai and dnm owned by dilip n bajaj of mumbai. he sells a mean avr too that u may like to consider here
DNM Enterprise Product
but again going for a no-frills-for-video avr necessitates presence of a dvdp wth independent 7.1 out n hdmi upscaling n dac n coax out.

another good vfm option 2.0 option for spkrs is monitor audio m2. for 2.0 nothing comes close at more than 4ohms load, indian or firangi in the sub 20k bracket. dont go in for floorstanders unless u can shell out at least 35k just for a pr. not worth the money spent or room space lost esp if rear ported. u can use these bookshelves for music too w/o a sub coz very less music goes below 50hz, but movie effects do. the best part about these monitors is their room filling bass n that they are fully bi-wirable and bi-amp-able at this price pt. strongly recommended.

now the prices
oppo dvd 980h/sony bdp s370- 10k approx
craftel 5.1 receiver - 13k
craftel sta 662?- 8k
dnm avr- dunno but shud be about 16k at max
marantz avr sr3053/ one of the lower denons - 18k
lithos noa1 2.1 setup- 18 k incl wall mounts
lithos q10 as center 11.5 k ncl wall mt
monitor audio m2- 14k
sony ps3 used- about 10k

take your pick but u being in noida do pay a visit to mr nakra of enbee, e makes some mean amps n speakers too, earlier he used to do biz from shankar mkt near cp outer circle. u ll find hs nos somewhere in this forum. must go there with ur own cds time nikaal ke obviously.

if iwere u id go in for these spkrs

lithos noa1 2.1 setup- 18 k incl wall mounts
lithos q10 as center 11.5 k ncl wall mt
monitor audio m2- 14k

thats about 45k

oppo/sony dvd/bdp- 10k

tha abt 55k

u can comfortably spend abt 30k for the amp+avr

thats about 85k

5 to 8 k for a good power stab
thats abt 93k

now now
that 10k by which u expanded ur budget

now how much good scotch can 17k buy?
about 8 bottles
so we ll need about a doz sittings listening to ur system
n watchng moves while we polish off that booze. . .
whatsay u????

hope u got my pm
jokes apart
spend the money u save for mx audio n video cables, connectors n interconnects from babbal soni at lrp market,
opp red fort. soni electronics is the distributor for mx so u get wholesale prices but no return exch or discount. but u dont need those at 60% of mrp.
also do invest in a good rack or go the diy way for a rack. tell me if u want that, i can gude u on that too.

btw f u got sum1 in the states then the hsu research ventriloquist 6.1 spkr system and sub is a a steal at about 33k. the sub is heavy so that relative has got to be real close to lug it past customs as a gift. just a thot coz they r damn bloody good. see them here

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance1.html

HSU STF-1 Subwoofer

HSU Ventriloquist VT-12

all the best

hope u got my pm
jokes apart
spend the money u save for mx audio n video cables, connectors n interconnects from babbal soni at lrp market,
opp red fort. soni electronics is the distributor for mx so u get wholesale prices but no return exch or discount. but u dont need those at 60% of mrp.
also do invest in a good rack or go the diy way for a rack. tell me if u want that, i can guide u on that too.

btw f u got sum1 in the states then the hsu research ventriloquist 6.1 spkr system and sub is a a steal at about 33k. the sub is heavy so that relative has got to be real close to lug it past customs as a gift. just a thot coz they r damn bloody good. see them here

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance1.html

HSU STF-1 Subwoofer

HSU Ventriloquist VT-12

all the best

well mr arora
the owner, mr mark is a passionate 2nd gen audio manufacturer who bettered the circuits his dad left him. he doesnt have a website n hardly replies to email but talk to him about his stuff or audio in gen n he will park his car on the side n talk to u for an hour WHILE RETURNING HOME, MIND U. he makes no bones about his eqpt- has a take it or leave it philosophy for the label conscious. he even offers to ship his eqpt for a no obligation trial save the shipping costs. he builds amps/receivers with features like usb slot, pre- out, remote as per your desire. he currently makes amps n receivers n speakers but i cant vouch for the latter. before i forget dont go in for any rear-ported speaker as they cant be wall mounted & need at least 18" breathing space or else u contend with a muddy and resonant bass. also dont buy a 4 ohm spkr if ur avr or amp does 8 ohms. so getting back to craftel. i suggest u go in for his 5.1 avr plus his stereo amp but for this to function as a 7.1 setup u ll need a dvd player with 7.1 outs so that u use the fronts for a 2.1 or 2.0 setup for music. route the other 5.1 or 5.0 stuff thru the avr. u must realize that u wil have to keep both amps on to watch a 7.1 setup of which i m no advocate, coz where do u have a room where u can sit in the center with 3 spkrs up front,1 each on either side & 2 behind. moreover, there are hardly any movies encoded in 7.1 avlb in india. the cheapest 7.1 avr worth considering will not be less than 25k n (i know a pal who bought a marantz 7.1 and does not use the 2 surround slots, in fact he does not even use mr hsu's 6th ventroloquist rear spkr due to installation constraints.) also i am not in favor of the auth dealer route at all. go for the delhi grey market if u have to. from the 25% u save buy god voltage/power conditioning eqpt. if anything goes wrong there is an equally thriving repair market in delhi. eg if u buy a marantz what do u do? their dealership/service centers are adhoc so ur eqpt still goes to the same mechanic(s) thru these adhoc guys who will charge u marantz rates for repair.

well mr arora
the owner, mr mark is a passionate 2nd gen audio manufacturer who bettered the circuits his dad left him. he doesnt have a website n hardly replies to email but talk to him about his stuff or audio in gen n he will park his car on the side n talk to u for an hour WHILE RETURNING HOME, MIND U. he makes no bones about his eqpt- has a take it or leave it philosophy for the label conscious. he even offers to ship his eqpt for a no obligation trial save the shipping costs. he builds amps/receivers with features like usb slot, pre- out, remote as per your desire. he currently makes amps n receivers n speakers but i cant vouch for the latter. before i forget dont go in for any rear-ported speaker as they cant be wall mounted & need at least 18" breathing space or else u contend with a muddy and resonant bass. also dont buy a 4 ohm spkr if ur avr or amp does 8 ohms. so getting back to craftel. i suggest u go in for his 5.1 avr plus his stereo amp but for this to function as a 7.1 setup u ll need a dvd player with 7.1 outs so that u use the fronts for a 2.1 or 2.0 setup for music. route the other 5.1 or 5.0 stuff thru the avr. u must realize that u wil have to keep both amps on to watch a 7.1 setup of which i m no advocate, coz where do u have a room where u can sit in the center with 3 spkrs up front,1 each on either side & 2 behind. moreover, there are hardly any movies encoded in 7.1 avlb in india. the cheapest 7.1 avr worth considering will not be less than 25k n (i know a pal who bought a marantz 7.1 and does not use the 2 surround slots, in fact he does not even use mr hsu's 6th ventroloquist rear spkr due to installation constraints.) also i am not in favor of the auth dealer route at all. go for the delhi grey market if u have to. from the 25% u save buy good voltage/power conditioning eqpt. if anything goes wrong there is an equally thriving repair market in delhi. eg if u buy a marantz what do u do? their dealership/service centers are adhoc so ur eqpt still goes to the same mechanic(s) thru these adhoc guys who will charge u marantz rates for repair. doesnt make sense, does it?
i have an oppo dvd-980h(no blu ray, how many blu ray movies have u seen up for rent or sale?)which my niece carried for me from canada at 8300 inr its avlb for 10.5k ex delhi i m told. now u may not go in for this but do look for these things in ur player- dvd upscaling and 7.1 out(8 sockets). hdmi out, 7.1 analog out coaxial(1 socket) and an inbuilt DAC (at least 24bit@192 khz) plus a usb in slot to connect your hard drive(for music n movies must use only a powered drive eg seagate freeagent 1tb or wd book 1tb @3k or so, more on that later, but u can always plug in an odd pen drive w/o risk) . a gud bluray option is sony bdp s370@ 9k but only stereo analog out so lesser flexibility n upgrade options. that way if u are so hellbent on bluray then why not get a used sony ps3 less than 80 gb phat model only as later models do not have the capability to run linux n function as a home pc too incl wi fi streaming, gaming and movies n music but again only optical out, video out n stereo out (component) no coaxial so 7.1 audio connectivity options suffer. shud u buy a ps3 do check that its not been uograded to firmware 9.21 of mar 10 wherein sony unscrupulously tok away the lnux pc capablity thru this update. goes w/o saying that u must never ever update ur machine from the ps3 site or else u lose a home pc. no other risk with a used(not misused)ps3. if mark can give u an optical+hdmi in then u can hook up your 5.1 to the avr n the 2.0 out for the stereeo amp but dont forget to ask for a subwofer pre-out pref on both for added flex.

Please check your PM, Trittya:)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back