Home theater room - need advice

Hi friends I have been browsing thru this forum for many weeks for getting ideas about Home Theater setup and I am glad to say that I have learnt a lot (Yet to learn lot more!!) about audio and video equipments.Now I am planning to have a dedicated home theater room in the flat we are planning to buy in Kerala.My flat will be in the second/top floor and the builder has given me a proposal...he clubbed 3 flats in to one and the HT room takes the space of a 1 BHK apts...which I think will be an extravaganza...so I called him and told that the HT rooms looks very big (30 ft long I suppose) and I dont be wanting such a huge space...so he told me to check about the dimensions and let him know within a week so that he can partition the room and make an extra bedroom...also he asked me what my other requirements would (ie plug points,speaker holes,wiring etc) be.....

Venkat and Vinay have been giving me advices from time to time and I am very grateful for their support...I am putting this thread to hear about your ideas and points...

1) Do you think the size of the room is too big/unnecessary ?

2) Do you think a mini-bar (builder's suggestion)can be set up in the corner replacing the toilet ?

3) Can any of you please make a drawing (ie plug points,speaker positioning etc) from my image and send it to me so that I can show to my builder

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Please ask me if you need to know anything more about the plan....

Also I would like to know if I should let the builder know about my sound proofing/ sound absorption requirements

Last edited:
I am planning to have an HD projector + WD TV (or a NMT) + BLURAY PLAYER + 7.1 CH Receiver + 5.1/7.1 speaker setup + SET TOP BOX

(I will be asking u advices on what to buy after the room is done...)

I am a 99% movie guy (I am not very much interested in music) and I would like to have a screen size of 120" and a seating of 3 rows (Atleast 12 people)

Just my 2 paisa

Isnt it an illegal construction if you are clubbing together 2 or 3 apartments? It will be huge deviation from the approval plan and you may end up in trouble later.

Its okay to make a 2BHK from a 3BHK or a 4BHK (if some of the walls are demolished), but not a whole revamp without the permission.

Regarding the size, 30x15 will be ideal (correct me if i am wrong), considering the space for acoustics and inbuilt equipment storage area (5ft), So in effect it will be around 22-24ft.

Last edited:
Just my 2 paisa

Isnt it an illegal construction if you are clubbing together 2 or 3 apartments? It will be huge deviation from the approval plan and you may end up in trouble later.

Its okay to make a 2BHK from a 3BHK or a 4BHK (if some of the walls are demolished), but not a whole revamp without the permission.

Regarding the size, 30x15 will be ideal (correct me if i am wrong), considering the space for acoustics and inbuilt equipment storage area (5ft), So in effect it will be around 22-24ft.

Thanks for the reply...I think the builder will take care of the legal aspects (He wont be risking his reputation for my sake....isnt it ??) ...and even I have started thinking that the room size is okey....

I think you should take help from an acoustics expert. It is highly recommended. Comparing his charges to the total cost of the room+ equipment, it will work out to be a very small amount, believe me.
He will give you all the drawings with plug points etc.
I learnt this the hard way. Although, this forum can help you a lot- no question about it.

I can give u contact details on an acoustic consultant. He did wonders for my HT. He is based in Mumbai and he use to send me designs via mail. We exchanged quite a few mails and chatted a few times. He never visted my place.

I strongly recommend u to consider this.

Sumit

I think you should take help from an acoustics expert. It is highly recommended. Comparing his charges to the total cost of the room+ equipment, it will work out to be a very small amount, believe me.
He will give you all the drawings with plug points etc.
I learnt this the hard way. Although, this forum can help you a lot- no question about it.

I can give u contact details on an acoustic consultant. He did wonders for my HT. He is based in Mumbai and he use to send me designs via mail. We exchanged quite a few mails and chatted a few times. He never visted my place.

I strongly recommend u to consider this.

Sumit

Thanks for the advice and please do send me the contact info of that consultant and a reference...

drawingt.jpg

The approval of a building is prepared and approved before starting the construction. Once it is approved based on the norms, nobody has the right to change, the building has to be constructed based on the approval plan and the authorities will inspect the site before they issue the completion certificate. If there is any change, then it has to be be approved by the authority. In all other cases, it will be an illegal construction. Also it has to be registered as 3 separate flats (as per shown in the approval plan). This is just to caution you. Rest is up to you. By the way which is the builder? (I am also from kerala).

Just wanted to know, the living room cum dining room seems to be very small than the HT room (assuming the dimensions are in cm) and the same with the bedrooms. If possible try the reverse (since the plan is fully revamped) or try extending the beddroom in to the HT room so that you will get a reasonably sized bedroom and an HT room.

Last edited:
Excuse me for saying so, the HT room seems disproportionate to the rest of your flat. You may want to discuss with your family, friends and see how best to utilize the space you have got there at the risk of crunching your HT room. A typical Indian family spends most of their (non-sleeping) time in the living room and you need to seriously think about it. I feel that investing in a HT room at the expense of a 3rd BR is something that you might regret later.

Yeah, the above comments are made without any inkling of your age, profile, family etc., I am sure you will relate to all these much better than any of us and make an appropriate decision. All the best!

Just my 2 paisa

I've seen such conversions and I think if external walls are not changed ,this is not illegal.
But please confirm from builder - also in case hire a lawer as some rules are City or State specific!
In mumbai a lot of people buy entire floor and customise it!

Regarding the room -VINAY is best person I know!
ALSO READ A LOT AS SOMETIMES THIS CONSULTANTS CAN TAKE YOU FOR RIDE- One of our friend have a bad expereince as his premium setup was permanantly set on Pro Logic 2 - which is lousient formats- by SETUP people.

Own reserch always help...also sometimes consultants have own vested interest where they promote a perticular brand ...
See if you and your family can carry any equipment from Musut/Dubai ,,,you may get some equipment really cheap there...

In case of WDTV think of media servers which may be available there.......also in gulf Harmon/JBL was cheaper earlier

the poor guy is asking for suggestions for his home theater.

he is not asking for our opinions of his flat design.

leave the rest of the flat alone. look at his HT only.

giddavr

Last edited:
The approval of a building is prepared and approved before starting the construction. Once it is approved based on the norms, nobody has the right to change, the building has to be constructed based on the approval plan and the authorities will inspect the site before they issue the completion certificate. If there is any change, then it has to be be approved by the authority. In all other cases, it will be an illegal construction. Also it has to be registered as 3 separate flats (as per shown in the approval plan). This is just to caution you. Rest is up to you. By the way which is the builder? (I am also from kerala).

Just wanted to know, the living room cum dining room seems to be very small than the HT room (assuming the dimensions are in cm) and the same with the bedrooms. If possible try the reverse (since the plan is fully revamped) or try extending the bedroom in to the HT room so that you will get a reasonably sized bedroom and an HT room.

I will check with the builder about the approvals.....he gave me another plan first and then the HT room was bit smaller for my taste so I asked him if he can extend that room a bit (a bit longer by taking the unused space - that was in the groundfloor and there was enuff space vacant) but he said that the plan is already approved and he cannot make any modification other than clubbing the flats.

Even I know that the HT room looks huge compared to other rooms and thats y I mentioned in the first post itself to suggest what modification can be done (ie adding one more small bedroom by taking space from HT room)....

The below is the project info...the land where the building is being constructed belonged to me and we sold it to the builders (so the flat is kinda tradeoff and thats why I am not much bothered about the cost)

Sreepathi Associates | Builders & Promoters

Excuse me for saying so, the HT room seems disproportionate to the rest of your flat. You may want to discuss with your family, friends and see how best to utilize the space you have got there at the risk of crunching your HT room. A typical Indian family spends most of their (non-sleeping) time in the living room and you need to seriously think about it. I feel that investing in a HT room at the expense of a 3rd BR is something that you might regret later.

Yeah, the above comments are made without any inkling of your age, profile, family etc., I am sure you will relate to all these much better than any of us and make an appropriate decision. All the best!

I am open to suggestions...My family consists of my dad,my sis,my bro-in-law and their kid (I am bachelor as of now and planning to get married next year - GODWILLING!!)....My dad lives in a separate house which he constructed for my sister (thats a 3 BHK independant house) and my sis and family stays in mumbai at present as her hus is working there...since mine is a small family I dont think there will be any issue if I dont have a 3rd bedroom (Btw if worst thing happens I can accommodate few ppl in my HT room also...).....Anyway the option for a 3rd bedroom is still there but you guys have to help me fix the dimension of my HT room.....

I've seen such conversions and I think if external walls are not changed ,this is not illegal.
But please confirm from builder - also in case hire a lawer as some rules are City or State specific!
In mumbai a lot of people buy entire floor and customise it!

Regarding the room -VINAY is best person I know!
ALSO READ A LOT AS SOMETIMES THIS CONSULTANTS CAN TAKE YOU FOR RIDE- One of our friend have a bad expereince as his premium setup was permanantly set on Pro Logic 2 - which is lousient formats- by SETUP people.

Own reserch always help...also sometimes consultants have own vested interest where they promote a perticular brand ...
See if you and your family can carry any equipment from Musut/Dubai ,,,you may get some equipment really cheap there...

In case of WDTV think of media servers which may be available there.......also in gulf Harmon/JBL was cheaper earlier

Hemanth even I think there wont be any issue if the basic structure remains unchanged but anyway I will check about this with the builder.I am talking with Vinay,Venkat etc and gettingf their advices....

The equipments I will be getting either from here (Gulf) or from the US...at present here in muscat I have a modest HT setup..

PANASONIC PV70-50" PLASMA + MARANTZ SR3001 RECEIVER + POLKAUDIO RM6750 + WD TV + 2* 1TB HDD + MARANTZ DVD PLAYER + DISH TV RECEIVER

ht1.jpg

ht2r.jpg

And I am browsing thru lot of forums relating to HT construction and A/V discussions (AVS FORUM,BLURAYFORUM,PROJECTOR CENTRAL,CNET REVIEWS etc) and getting advice from people like Venkat,Vinay etc who have walked the same path long tym back....

Thanks a lot for the suggestions....

the poor guy is asking for suggestions for his home theater.

he is not asking for our opinions of his flat design.

leave the rest of the flat alone. look at his HT only.

giddavr

No issues giddavr I am open to suggestions regarding room size and layout also...HT shud be a part of the house and not the otherway around....

Hemanth even I think there wont be any issue if the basic structure remains unchanged but anyway I will check about this with the builder.I am talking with Vinay,Venkat etc and gettingf their advices....

The equipments I will be getting either from here (Gulf) or from the US...at present here in muscat I have a modest HT setup..

PANASONIC PV70-50" PLASMA + MARANTZ SR3001 RECEIVER + POLKAUDIO RM6750 + WD TV + 2* 1TB HDD + MARANTZ DVD PLAYER + DISH TV RECEIVER

MODEST!!!

Like your modesty dude!!!
If this is modest mine is BPL( Below povetry line!!":eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::yahoo:

Hi,

I just had a look at your plan (from the builder website) and just made a rough drawing by combining all the 6/7/8 flats. I Just mentioned some of the possibilities that will give you a reasonable sized HT room and a good master suite (along with big bathrooms) and a library / study room. You can tweak it for your taste.:)

The full size picture is at : http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9183/34309964.png

regs
Sajith

Last edited:
Hi Cmsajith that was very kind of you...could you do me a favour...Can you make these markings in the pic I posted ?? Coz I am not very good with plans and cant picturise a house looking at the drawing....

Posted picture is after the modifications from the builder and a balcony is not included in that. So it will be better modifying the original plan. There is nothing to confuse (check the full size picture, modifications are labelled in that). I have marked (double black border) for the modified room with the label inside. It will be easy for you to understand if you take a print out of that and check each and every room. Moreover i can explain if you have some doubts. Discuss with the builder, he can identify easily and if he is having doubts or telling somethings cannot be done, i will explain him how to do that.

Also you need to add some false walls (this will help in sound isolation also) to both the sides of the HT room (in length wise) to get the ideal HT room shape. Also you can try curved seating in 2/3 levels to accommodate maximum number of people in less space.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back