Home theater, suggest on the config

murali.rd

hi guys,
tis is my post , hope u guys help me to decide on the home theater system.
i was looking to setup a home theater system.
i got a complete qutation from a company who provide complete home theater solution including automation,
but i m going for complete home theater solution n not automation stuff.
here is what he suggested:

AV RECIEVER yamaha rx v665 -47500
pioneer blu ray player - 21000 (need to check the model)
POLK AUDIO SPEAKERS :
RTIA7 FRONT SPEAKER (1)- 54,000.00
CSIA4 CENTRE SPEAKER (1) -14,000.00
FXIA4 SURROUND SPEAKER (2)- 21,000.00
DSWPRO600 500W SUBWOOFER (1)- 30,000.00

PROJECTOR
OPTOMA HD 20 - 1,33,000.00

Remotes
harmony 525- 3,999.00

i m not sure does this a good set of options in there corresponding range, especially, the av receiver, projector , polk audio and blu ray. (i wana consider also some cheaper options if there are)
i read some reviews about av receiver on cnet which were not that good compared to other.

please suggest me on the above configuration. if you want me to have look in to some other product please suggest me.
also suggest if some product which works simillarly which is cheap. i m also trying to lessen the cost too.

thanks and regards,
murali

Ask your dealer to skip the Yamaha AVR and suggest a good model from Denon (2310, 1910) or even Onkyo. The Yamaha xx5 series have been designed badly, have a weak power supply and would gasp for power when you play Blu-Ray.

Cheers

2nd that.

Plus, audition MA Bronze, Wharfedale Diamond, Kef Q Series etc. before reaching for you wallet for Polk. If you are flexible with the budget, then MA Silver & Dali Ikon must definitely be in your list for auditioning.

Cheers.

Last edited:
My experience with Yamaha-665 has not been as bad, may be it will depend on the speakers (power hungry or not) I guess...

Anyways, adding up all your components, budget seems be in the range of 2.5L+, this is a sweet budget by any means...

If you specify your total budget, what you are looking for (movies/music or both), room size/layout etc., you will get quality suggestions from the folks out here. The more time you spend on the homework, the better your final setup will be.

There should be a couple of threads on HT setup within the same range, do check them out.

Thanks , i will consider all ur suggestion,

my bidget is arond 3L.. and room dimension is 11 X 13 feet.

if we have more suggestion please do send me it will help me gra8 deal..

i just dont wana spend too much on bad things..

thanks again for your suggestion...

let me know if any mor i need to consider..

11 by 13 is a small room. Are there any windows and doors, or other obstructions? Are you dedicating the room to just HT?

In such a room. floor standing speakers may overwhelm the room as well take up a lot of space. In addition, the speakers have to kept at least 2 to 3 feet from the wall, you will be sitting some 8 feet from the speakers - effectively eating up a whole length of your room.

I am also a little concerned whether you really can justify a projector in this space, unless you are ready to dedicate the room to just HT purposes. With a projector, you have to look at at least 50K to 100K in room interiors and acoustics. A plasma or LCD TV can work in an ordinary room, but for a projector, the room has to be completely isolated from external lights to get a true cinema effect.

You can also look at bookshelf based speaker system such as those from Q-Acoustics, and a 5.1 set made up of PSB Alpha B1s, matching centre and their sub. The Alpha B1s are quite musical and do rise up to the occasion when needed in a movie.

Please do allocate some money for room acoustics. That will improve your sound system more effectively than spending lakhs of rupees on equipment.

Cheers

Last edited:
11 by 13 is a small room. Are there any windows and doors, or other obstructions? Are you dedicating the room to just HT?

In such a room. floor standing speakers may overwhelm the room as well take up a lot of space. In addition, the speakers have to kept at least 2 to 3 feet from the wall, you will be sitting some 8 feet from the speakers - effectively eating up a whole length of your room.

I am also a little concerned whether you really can justify a projector in this space, unless you are ready to dedicate the room to just HT purposes. With a projector, you have to look at at least 50K to 100K in room interiors and acoustics. A plasma or LCD TV can work in an ordinary room, but for a projector, the room has to be completely isolated from external lights to get a true cinema effect.

You can also look at bookshelf based speaker system such as those from Q-Acoustics, and a 5.1 set made up of PSB Alpha B1s, matching centre and their sub. The Alpha B1s are quite musical and do rise up to the occasion when needed in a movie.

Please do allocate some money for room acoustics. That will improve your sound system more effectively than spending lakhs of rupees on equipment.

Cheers

Hi venkat,

Yes the room is dedicated for HT and is isolated. but there is a winow but its completely sealed with wood now. so no glass window.
regarding projector i did check about having Big screen LCD, but big screen LCD too cost lot. so thaought we can spend bit more and go for projector.but definately not 133000. i will cut some part of it and do suggest me some projectors which are quite good and cost around 80 to 100 thousand.
I think the point u made about the room size and the 7.1 config , speaker distance from wall is very critical,, i will check it and i will try to make it to 5.1 config and see how to solve this..

for accoustics, for hal the room we are using thin wooden panneling and other half i m iusing soft board sheet as in theaters.

Thanks again , do send me any more suggestions.

for accoustics, for hal the room we are using thin wooden panneling and other half i m iusing soft board sheet as in theaters.

Thanks again , do send me any more suggestions.

Though these material are good for aesthetics, they do nothing for acoustics. See what you can do with some amount of sound absorbing material such as mineral or glass wool. There are sound absorbing tiles available, but they may shoot your cost up.

There are a number of threads which discuss this in detail. Please search for them and read them. Also get in touch with Santhosh (Santhol2), Srisha (Srisha), and Subhash all of Bangalore who have set up their HT rooms by themselves. They can refer you to suppliers, and help you avoid pitfalls that they have gone through.

Cheers

Hi
HTML:
AV RECIEVER yamaha rx v665 -47500
pioneer blu ray player - 21000 (need to check the model)
POLK AUDIO SPEAKERS : 
RTIA7 FRONT SPEAKER (1)- 54,000.00 
CSIA4 CENTRE SPEAKER (1) -14,000.00 
FXIA4 SURROUND SPEAKER (2)- 21,000.00
DSWPRO600 500W SUBWOOFER (1)- 30,000.00

You can also try Pioneer VSX-919AH-k which has many intersting features and real VFM and it will match well with your pioneer blu ray player.

Regards

sub

Full HD projector should be around 100k (Optoma HD20 & Sanyo Z700)
Many good HD Ready ones are for 60k (Panasonic AX200 etc)

Also prices recd. by you ar all MRPs. Look for at least 20% off on all of them if you buy from one source and free installation as well. Also b4 investing spend a lot of time auditioning. I assume for will buy once for at least 5 yrs. I am also deciding on the exact equipment for same budget. Room size is 11 X 16. I have no windows and have used glass wool for sound absorption. Wooden flooring (carpet is better) on the floor, recliners and starlit sky lights.

My Choices so far are
Speakers: PSB Image / KEF iQ / MS Mezzo series based 5.1
AVR: Marantz SR6004 / Pioneer VSX-23txh / Denon 2310
Projector: Optoma HD 20 / Pana AE3000 / Sanyo Z700
Source Media player: WDTV / Xtreamer / Playon HD
Source DVD: Philips 3388 / Pioneer DVD (Blu-ray after a year or so)

Yes the room is dedicated for HT and is isolated. but there is a winow but its completely sealed with wood now. so no glass window.

Since you are planning on a completely new HT, it makes a lot of sense to consider In-wall speakers like Venkat mentioned. Sometime back I visited a friends dedicated HT with similar installments from M&K. Not only did this gave him enough room to design the rest of the space available, this gave the whole HT a more real cinema hall kinda ambiance.

KidFriendly1-HomeTheater.jpg

Happy hunting.

Though these material are good for aesthetics, they do nothing for acoustics. See what you can do with some amount of sound absorbing material such as mineral or glass wool. There are sound absorbing tiles available, but they may shoot your cost up.

There are a number of threads which discuss this in detail. Please search for them and read them. Also get in touch with Santhosh (Santhol2), Srisha (Srisha), and Subhash all of Bangalore who have set up their HT rooms by themselves. They can refer you to suppliers, and help you avoid pitfalls that they have gone through.

Cheers

hi venky and ragav,

sorry, wasnt able to login during weekends. but i went to audtion based on your suggestion. i checked out denon 1910 with polk audio (which i mentioned before) and kef c series. i found kef to be little better but i dint find there is lot much of difference though.but i belive its take lot of experince to differntiate which i dont have. so again not sure about my view. also i tried yamaha 665, with wharfdale, 9.6 nad 10.6 seperately. i felt whafdale are good too. but the audition room i checked was 10X13 so i didnt feel its as gra8 as kef and polk. but kef and polk i tried in small room may be 8X7, so it might have sounded gra8 or better than whrafdale. i found wharfdale are cost effective.
also as i told 3L is my budget. current quotation is for 3.6 i wana cut down on it. but based on the choice of denon 1910 and kef/polk/whrfdale 9.6. dont know how it happens.
so please suggest some config based on this.i think i can cut down some thing on projector. also can i bring optoma h20 from US/Taiwan/HK, and take international warranty. does it cover india. if so i dont need to cut down on any other thing and fits in to 3L budget. also suggest any other models i can consider. venkat where can i check q.acoustics in bangalore.

also i checked the problem with floor standing speakrs and room size. they told its fine . and anyway AVR is 7.1 but actual speakers are in 5.1 setup.
let me know if you have still ur reservatins on this. i will double check

again very thank you for all guys,
do help me in making these decisions.

regards,
murali

Since you are planning on a completely new HT, it makes a lot of sense to consider In-wall speakers like Venkat mentioned. Sometime back I visited a friends dedicated HT with similar installments from M&K. Not only did this gave him enough room to design the rest of the space available, this gave the whole HT a more real cinema hall kinda ambiance.

KidFriendly1-HomeTheater.jpg

Happy hunting.

hi unleash me,

Thank you for your suggestion.
the structure is complete except the spft board or other acoustics fittings. and its not possible to modify anything in structure now. so i m afraid now i can do this. let me know if its possible

thanks agin
murali

Murali, the Indian distributor for Q-A is in Bangalore.

BABBLER MARKETING PVT LTD
#419, 12TH CROSS
SADASHIVANAGAR
BANGALORE - 560 080
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +91 80 32410783
Fax: +91 80 41536755

Wharfedale, KEF, Polk all male popular speaker packages. The speaker choice ultimately is personal, so go with what your ears like. But do audition the Q-A. If you like the sound, they can save a lot of space.

Cheers

Murali, the Indian distributor for Q-A is in Bangalore.

BABBLER MARKETING PVT LTD
#419, 12TH CROSS
SADASHIVANAGAR
BANGALORE - 560 080
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +91 80 32410783
Fax: +91 80 41536755

Wharfedale, KEF, Polk all male popular speaker packages. The speaker choice ultimately is personal, so go with what your ears like. But do audition the Q-A. If you like the sound, they can save a lot of space.

Cheers

Can speakers like qa 1010/2000 be housed in the wall?

Can speakers like qa 1010/2000 be housed in the wall?

Wall speakers are of two types - in-wall and on-wall. In-wall speakers can be embedded into the wall. On-wall speakers can mounted on a wall through various methods - nails, hooks, stands, etc.

QA are on wall speakers.

Cheers

Back