Home theater with around 50 K budget ?

s_sachin

Hi,

Just came across this forum today and amazed at the information here.

I myself am looking for a home theater system. I am debating between the following

Onkyo HT S5100 (7.1 system)
Jamo speakers + sub woofer (arnd 30 K) & Onkyo receiver
Bose 3.2.1 - 2 speaker system

Any feedback on these ? Also any other recommendations appreciated.

The room i am looking to set this up is small size (10 by 10).
Also i am located in hyderabad.

thanks in advance
Sachin

Dts Decoding

Hai Iam chandu from Hyderbad , I also trying to buy new av recievers , I recommnede that DENON 1709 with Polk speakers is suited for ur configuration.
I am going to decide to take DENON 1708 with Polk speakers

Thanks for a quick response Chandu. Is there a shop where i can get a demo of this reciever + speaker assembly. Also what is the model number of the speakers and the cost.

thanks
Sachin

There are a number of options for the price. But what are your requirements? Do you want it to be musical as well? what kind of music do you listen to? Are you keen on the speakers being small? Or on the contrary do you want the speakers to be big?

Firstly, rule out the Bose....it's overpriced. For the rest the responses to the queries above would be helpful.

Hi,

I myself am looking for a home theater system. I am debating between the following

thanks in advance
Sachin

Hi,

thanks in advance
Sachin

sachin
before you buy a bose listen to other systems out there

Thanks for the response guys.

Yes the Bose seem overpriced. The consideration here was the small size of my to be home theater room. But is not an issue big or small.

My primary interest is for music (mainly rock) and then movies. I have seen a lot in the last couple of months and to be frank I am confused :(

I would ideally like to go for seperates , like an amp and 2 towers initially - but the shops warned me that it might be difficult to mix and match if you are not an expert. Thats when i started looking for a HT in a package solution.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Sachin

Thanks for the response guys.

Yes the Bose seem overpriced. The consideration here was the small size of my to be home theater room. But is not an issue big or small.

My primary interest is for music (mainly rock) and then movies. I have seen a lot in the last couple of months and to be frank I am confused :(

I would ideally like to go for seperates , like an amp and 2 towers initially - but the shops warned me that it might be difficult to mix and match if you are not an expert. Thats when i started looking for a HT in a package solution.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Sachin

if ht is not so much of an issue why dont you just go in for a proper 2 channel system or a 2.1. the quality of sound you will get from a 2 channel will be better than a 5.1 within the same budget. yes you wont get different sounds coming from 5 parts of the room but it will come out from 2. or like you were thinking of, go for an ht amp with 2 towers and then buy in the rest of the speakers at a later date. matching wont be an issue - just have a plan before you go ahead

Sachin,
I understand that the mix and match is not for everybody. But, for somebody who has found this forum and started a thread it shouldn't that tough. I am pretty sure most of the responses here will be towards a stereo amp and 2 towers :) if u are interested in music. I think the first and foremost thing you need to fix is not stereo or 5.1 etc; it will be your max budget. Once you fix that I am sure people over here can come up with quite a few good options. Are you ready to upgrade in parts, or you need a one time solution.

Very much in agreement with AFJ. Thats a very good pointer and a suggestion.

You should indeed go for quality than quantity and gradually keep adding on components to build your system. You shall have to take the final call, if you would want to see the 4 speakers surrounding you or just a pair that could do what they are supposed to.

50K personally speaking seems a little less for an apt system, but then you could look at what Onkyo has to offer, they have some decent packages with 5.1 speakers + player ..and well within your range.

Brgs

If you are very much keen in music than the movie experience,You can clearly go for a pair of good floorstanders,look for the ones in polkaudio,monitoraudio,and wharfedale diamonds for sure.(Recommended by almost all)spend a decent amount of money on a good Amp and CDP/DVDP.
This will make yourself a decent Stereo and later you can go and add your remaining speakers to complete the full HT.
HTIBs do not offer you the fullest Music fidelity,they can satisfy you in movies.
Or
Get a good Second hand Receiver,you get real good one nowdays for amazing deals from members here also.then spend the rest of the money in further good speakers.

Hope this makes sense,
Have Fun
Vj

Thanks to all who replied and this forum, i finally managed to get the first phase :) of my home theater set up.

This is what it consists of..
Pioneer VX 818 AVR
Polk audio TSI 300 floor standers
Polk audio 110 sub woofer

I absolutely love the result. Watched Iron man on this yesterday and it was amazing.

Thanks again to all for the help in putting this together

regards
Sachin

Here is the cost ..

Pioneer VX 818 AVR (got from US - 12 k with transformer)
Polk audio TSI 300 floor standers (18.4 K - Pro Fx)
Polk audio 110 sub woofer (10.6 K - Pro Fx)
Cables - 2 K

Yes forgot to mention, the music just from the 2 towers is so good (did not really need the sub woofer). These are the replacements for the monitor 50 and according to me better than the monitor 50.

thanks
Sachin

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back