Home theatre within 95K

Please give me 2 days time. I will audition them and Post back :)

Currently have the following in mind

Polk RtiA3
Wharf Diamond 10.1/122
Dali Zensor 1/3

Sub: velodyne impact 10

Auditioning them without Audyssey calibration is a waste of time. Each speaker has a completely different frequency response. The Wharfedales in particular barely produce any high frequencies without calibration, how ever they are amazing after calibration.

The only way to objectively compare them is to run Audyssey on each of them and then listen to them at loud volume to see which has the widest frequency response.

Auditioning them without Audyssey calibration is a waste of time. Each speaker has a completely different frequency response. The Wharfedales in particular barely produce any high frequencies without calibration, how ever they are amazing after calibration.

The only way to objectively compare them is to run Audyssey on each of them and then listen to them at loud volume to see which has the widest frequency response.

Auditioning without audyssey doesn't make any sense.Okay I understand.
I will visit volumate soon.

This is my first HT/Quality stereo.
I should hear the fine details clearly and shouldn't fatigue me.
How does Pioneer AJ BS compete with wharf ?

So which set of speakers do u recommend for best Cost vs value ?
I'm thinking of AJ because they are 11K a pair so that i can invest around 35K for the sub :-/

AFAIK both Wharfedale subs and speakers are priced exactly the same as the UK price. With anything else you'll be paying 35% more as taxes. I suggest buying just 2.1 for now if you don't have the budget.

I was looking for the Denon 510BT for my HT setup, but after reading your posts on Audyssey MultiEq importance, I searched for other AVRs as the 1100 was going overbudget. The Onkyo TX-nr525 AVR has the MultiEq. Any feedback on this AVR ?

It only has MultEQ which isn't very good. MultEQ XT is the absolute minimum you should get. Apart from this, all amplifiers are the same. There is no difference between them whatsoever apart from the maximum volume they can reach. Any opinions about the sound of each are myths.

take enough time before buying as you don't have to repent later.

I bought YHT-299 immediately within 2 days of joining this forum last year. Not that it's a bad investment, but soon I realized I am hungry for more and investment kept growing every 2-3 months...

my 2 cents :)

Buy wharfedale or Dali, don't buy Polk, I don't find them as good as wharfedale or Dali

Polk just sounds loud and that's it. Also in HiFi europian brands are always better. Avoid anything american

Buy wharfedale or Dali, don't buy Polk, I don't find them as good as wharfedale or Dali

Polk just sounds loud and that's it. Also in HiFi europian brands are always better. Avoid anything american

I haven't yet listened to audio on a wharfedale or Dali speaker set so I have to take your word that they are good. However I disagree with your statement that Polks lack , how shall I put it, sound character? By your account the Polks must sound awful if they are "just loud" I own a 5.1 Polks TSX series with a 12" downfiring Sub and I think they have above average sensitivity and audio performance in the total sound spectrum. And to make a wide sweeping comment that European Brands are "always better" and "avoid anything American" is just a misleading statement if not outrageous. You mean to say the JBLs, Wilsons etc are somehow lesser than the European speakers? By what yardstick? wow Generations of Audio Experts must have been just plain dumb to have stood behind those American Brands!!

All speakers sound the same after Audyssey. Loudness is the only factor that matters if you also have a subwoofer.

All speakers? So i can go for any speaker ? pair for 12K or something ?

I had a very pleasant experience at Volumate Chennai.After few minutes i understood that these people had stuff.
I auditioned Wharf. Diamond 122.
I was easily blown away by the sound they produce.Lots of details and soundstage.Sometimes it sounded soo warm like my Signature acoustics c12 which i didn't like.I felt as if it went muddy.But the bass from these speakers produce are awesome.Only very few tracks made me to think of Sub.

Also I auditioned Q acoustics 2020i.They were brighter compared to Diamond 122 but they didn't go that deep as Wharf did.

Also the person said that after Audyssey calibration, The muddy/warmy nature would transform.And i was quite satisfied after the calibration.So i have decided to go with wharf. Diamond 122.

The matter that is my major concern is Sub.
I Tried SW-150 with some movies and songs.It was very tight but couldn't do justice to some tracks.

When I played Imagine Dragons Radioactive,the Lows were very much lost.I could easily tell what was missing and also it started to rumble.
Then I requested him to hook Velodyne up (he had only imact 12").
Velodyne handled it with ease.However i am planning to go for 10" for my room size.

Now, the matter is that I Get 25%off when i purchase the 5.1 package(SW-150).But i am worried whether the Sub would do justice for me.

If i am buying as a package i save about 19K.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
I can recommend only the Impact 12. If you compromise on the subwoofer you'll regret it later. Once you carefully perform the calibration on your own, you will realise the deficiency in a cheaper subwoofer. The room size has nothing to do with the subwoofer's lower frequency limit. The Impact 10 only goes down till 32 Hz no matter how small the room is. The Impact 12 goes down to 29 Hz. You feel chest thumping bass purely based on the lower frequency limit of the subwoofer.

If budget is a constraint, you can get a smaller speaker so that you can buy a better sub. The Diamond 122 is extremely large. When combined with a subwoofer there is no difference between the Diamond 122 and a smaller speaker like the Diamond 121 or 220. You should opt for a larger speaker only if you will never use a subwoofer.

If you buy a 12k speaker and a subwoofer, it will sound the same as a 30k speaker and a subwoofer after calibration. The only difference will be the maximum volume. The cheaper speakers will distort after a point. Before buying the speakers the thing you need to test is whether the maximum volume after calibration is sufficient for you. It's very important to test the maximum volume only after calibration. This is because the calibration will boost certain frequencies to compensate for the deficiencies of the speaker, thus it will distort much sooner than an uncalibrated speaker.

Last edited:
I still stand by my opinion. :)

If you like Polk, no problem, lot of forum members also like it. No need to get worked up.

From my auditions American speakers more loud and sound good for movies.
when u audition a movie, its noise any way than music. most folks usually play some action/war scene and judge the experience with different speakers.

with that aspect they may sound good.

I audition speakers only by playing music and how i enjoy the music i am hearing through them. In that aspect i find most European brands far better, be it dali/wharfedale/tannoy etc.

I haven't yet listened to audio on a wharfedale or Dali speaker set so I have to take your word that they are good. However I disagree with your statement that Polks lack , how shall I put it, sound character? By your account the Polks must sound awful if they are "just loud" I own a 5.1 Polks TSX series with a 12" downfiring Sub and I think they have above average sensitivity and audio performance in the total sound spectrum. And to make a wide sweeping comment that European Brands are "always better" and "avoid anything American" is just a misleading statement if not outrageous. You mean to say the JBLs, Wilsons etc are somehow lesser than the European speakers? By what yardstick? wow Generations of Audio Experts must have been just plain dumb to have stood behind those American Brands!!

I am going for 2.1/2.0 first ...

I am so confused about the sub.
Give some Sub choices..

For speakers I am thinking of

Wharfedale 210/122 (any other suggestions welcome)
I cannot personally audition the speakers anymore.

I have heard the 122 and they are exceptionally good.I Just want to make sure that the 210 and 122 sound exactly the same and produce the minute details when paired with a Sub.

I am going for 2.1/2.0 first ...

I am so confused about the sub.
Give some Sub choices..

For speakers I am thinking of

Wharfedale 210/122 (any other suggestions welcome)
I cannot personally audition the speakers anymore.

I have heard the 122 and they are exceptionally good.I Just want to make sure that the 210 and 122 sound exactly the same and produce the minute details when paired with a Sub.
There isn't really any other worthwhile sub in India. Either get the Velodyne Impact 12, or spend much more and get something like an SVS PB-2000.

I'd get the Diamond 220 instead of the 210. The 210 is a new smaller model that wasn't there before.

210 = Small
220 = 121 = Medium
122 = Large

The details in sound are because of Audyssey, not the speakers. All the models will sound the same with a sub, trust me. There will be a difference between the showroom and your home because the room is different. But in the same room, all the models will sound the same after calibration.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back