Horn-based speaker projects

Vineethkumar01

Hi All,
Due to my newly found love for horn-based speaker projects, I found some links which may be good. Sharing for others interested.
This site has many horn-based speaker projects:
He has subjective and objective assessments for most of his projects..
Look-of-the-speaker-wise, I like some of his projects like the nighthawks and its subsequent versions. :D
As of now, I am not qualified enough to comment/judge about its sound quality-related aspects.. :)

For anyone interested in building your own horn-based projects, please check out:
SOme builds here:
and mabat's website here for the free design software:
Many designs are even available for free for 3D printing, CNCing.

Thanks
Vineeth

No. not yet. :)
This is all i know about hornresp yet (using it for transmission line design):
Well when you've mastered it please let me know, I gave up DIY so I never really got into it. I'd be interested to see what horns you come up with once your familiar with the software.

Did you consider learning Akabak? I did not :D

Well when you've mastered it please let me know, I gave up DIY so I never really got into it. I'd be interested to see what horns you come up with once your familiar with the software.

Did you consider learning Akabak? I did not :D
:D Sure.. Akabak is another future personal goal for me.. I am very interested after seeing the ABEC results about cabinet impact on driver radiation that i got done with others help in my current project..
Only issue for me in doing all this is lack of time. :) My job buries me in a lot of boring work. Hopefully i will find time, learn it and once done, I will surely let you know.. :)

Sharing Scott's video on bass horns... again design tips using hornresp. :)
I think Scott works in some Pro audio company and he has a lot of big speakers/horns at home.. :D
I like Scott's videos and papers in general. He writes easy to read and understand papers on all things related to speaker design. :)
He has a facebook page called DIYRM.
Here is one relevant to this subject of horns:

Sharing a link to his other works here:

Also attaching the link to a complete design document of his regarding a recent pro audio speaker design of his made available DIY community (also available in earlier posted master list of all his posts):

Wow!
Are we talking about objectivity here?
With the aid of design software?
And the discussion is yet civil with no hate posts so far?
Double wow!
Congratulations, all!
:p:p:p
Keith, I am not opposed to understanding objectivity. I am opposed to using it as the final measure of a product. Just in case you meant me, all in good faith :)

A must read for horn enthusiasts including myself for learning some basics of horn theory: https://www.grc.com/acoustics/an-introduction-to-horn-theory.pdf :) (current golden reference about the theory: https://www.parts-express.com/High-Quality-Horn-Loudspeaker-Systems-500-032)

Bjorn Kolbrek's website with lots of interesting information about horns:

Lots more interesting information: https://sphericalhorns.net/

About some recent developments in horn design:

Last edited:
Horns !! I run ALTEC VOTT A7-8s in my apartment. ' Truly enjoy them.

Kindly please, view the web pages of Inlowsound.com. John Inlow is a very nice person, a DIY horn enthusiast, a man with wonderful grace, and his web site is fun to view, and in many ways, compelling to experience.

Jeff

Last edited:
Horn enthusiasts.....kindly take a look at this post over in DIY, that I just put up. Very interesting design !!!!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back