HOTSTAR Movies vs Amazon Prime - Audio Quality

sukhas19

Hi Guys, Are the movies in Hotstar has 5.1 audio? I recently got a Denon 1600h; when ever i play hotstar cotent , it shows stereo....

Amazon prime it shows surround one......So wondering , if it has anything to do with my TV or not......I am using optical audio out/ARC from TV to AVR.....

-Sukhas

No, Hotstar doesn't provide dolby 5.1 sound but stereo 2 channel sound. Currently in India only Netflix and Amazon prime provide dolby 5.1(most of the content) and dolby Atmos sound ( selected movies)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-130755.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-130755.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 86
Hi Guys, Are the movies in Hotstar has 5.1 audio? I recently got a Denon 1600h; when ever i play hotstar cotent , it shows stereo....

Amazon prime it shows surround one......So wondering , if it has anything to do with my TV or not......I am using optical audio out/ARC from TV to AVR.....

-Sukhas
Hi, Hotstar outputs only stereo, sadly no 5.1 sound. It is to be seen when Disney+ lands on Hotstar, whether they continue with stereo or upgrade to at least 5.1 if not Atmos. It will be a deal breaker for many if Disney goes to Hotstar in India without 5.1 sound. Between, which is your TV that outputs 5.1 on Amazon prime.

Sadly their target consumers are the mobile phone users and thats why Hotstar suffers from video and audio quality. :(

They started 1080p quality sometime back, now again gone back to high (720), medium and low quality.

I have denon 1600h and have a issue of automatically highest volume level gets adjusted by itself .. media port used for Amazon 4k firestick . Any idea where to find list of content with Atmos in Amazon prime

Friends what is your interface for amazon prime and netflix for watching movies in 5.1 configuration? Can ATV give output in 5.1?

BTW: I found DD+ (7.1) is far superior than 5.1

Hotstar has some quality premium content primarily because of HBO stuff but their video/audio quality is not up to the mark. Too much compression going on

There is just no comparison between Prime and Hotstar when it comes to video/audio quality. Amazon Prime wins hands down. All their new original stuff is in 4K

Hotstar is worst in Audio Quality though Videos are FullHD. Few new movies are available in 5.1 however they are highly compressed and no clarity with Stereo also. Many New bollywood movies are getting released in HotStar are wasted and cannot be watched on Home theater Set.
Amazon is better on 5.1 audio and Netflix the Best in Audio.

Hotstar supports only Stereo content , Amazon supports 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus as well.
But there is ongoing discussion about Disney planning to launch their streaming content through hotsart in India alone, So from then hotstar might upgrade to 5.1

Or may be Disney + tariff will be placed above “VIP hotstar” subscription in which surround sound is available just like “UHD tier” subscription in Netflix. Infact after Disney + launch, movies from “Marvel Cinematic Universe” might be removed from hotstar! So it’s going to get worse for hotstar forcing home theatre viewers to opt for (very) high tier Disney+ subscription. Hotstar will continue to be mobile centric.

Down the lane, for survival, DTH operators might aggregate OTTs and offer their own monthly packages just like how they aggregated various channel broadcasters like Sony,Star,Zee banquets into packages.

History has always been clear. For making us addicted, initially everything is offered in a simpler and affordable way and once they successfully killed the rival (DTH for OTTs, AIRTEL/Idea+Vodafone for JIO, PayTm, food order apps, Ola/Uber, OYO rooms, YouTube pushing its ‘premium subscription’ etc), starts showing true colours of greediness. Only during early adaptation, we pay less. Once the honeymoon period is over, tech companies start squeezing us.

Apart from prime & Netflix, Apple TV +, few like SUNXT have separate section for “Dolby Digital Sound”.

The Disney+ is is live now on Hotstar app.
The sad part- it's in same awful quality with no 4k and Dolby surround sound. Was really hoping they would introduce Dolby sound with the launch of Disney plus in India.

The Disney+ is is live now on Hotstar app.
The sad part- it's in same awful quality with no 4k and Dolby surround sound. Was really hoping they would introduce Dolby sound with the launch of Disney plus in India.
So so ugh :(
I was holding out to watch Mandalorian - Now they leave me with no choice but to download it :(

On a side note, the PQ and AQ on Apple TV+ is fantastic and leaves Netflix in the dust

Back