Hotstar Relay quality is horse $#!@

Everything boils down to your internet speed. I have hotstar improved streaming quality after i started using ethernet. Wifi is not stable.

Hi,
HOD played in Dolby 5.1 audio in Hotstar in my setup. I have 4K TV, Shield 2017, Atmos capable AVR. Picture quality is also good. I have Chromecast with Google TV; it played in Dolby 5.1 in that also.
Pls list some reference movies/shows on Hotstar India platform for audio - Atmos, DD 5.1.

Offlate, I feel most of the content audio is streaming in 2.0 on the native app on my Sony TV connected to Denon 3600 via e/ARC. I can see HDR, DV, 4K labels on the content, but very rarely see the 5.1 or Atmos label while browsing the movie/show page.

Pls list some reference movies/shows on Hotstar India platform for audio - Atmos, DD 5.1.

Offlate, I feel most of the content audio is streaming in 2.0 on the native app on my Sony TV connected to Denon 3600 via e/ARC. I can see HDR, DV, 4K labels on the content, but very rarely see the 5.1 or Atmos label while browsing the movie/show page.
Is your sony TV has android os?. I have Sony X90J(with Yamaha V585) , not faced any 5.1 issues.Except indian serials, most of the movies are playing in 5.1. Not observed PQ issue as well.

Ex: The patient, She-Hulk, Vikram, criminal justice.. etc

Dolby atmos is not yet available.

Most of their recent contents are playing in dolby 5.1 audio. For e.g. Hotstar multiplex movies, various series like "Shoorveer, Special Ops, Grahan", Vikram etc. etc.
Atmos is not yet available.

Everything boils down to your internet speed. I have hotstar improved streaming quality after i started using ethernet. Wifi is not stable.
no, it doesn't, even with the best of internet connection ( ethernet in HT and wifi on TV) hotstar is still bad compared to netflix and prime even sonyliv on the same internet connection
basically hotstar is compressing a lot to save on bandwidth and it shows in quality

Hi,
HOD played in Dolby 5.1 audio in Hotstar in my setup. I have 4K TV, Shield 2017, Atmos capable AVR. Picture quality is also good. I have Chromecast with Google TV; it played in Dolby 5.1 in that also.
could be because my display is 1080p even the 5.1 audio is not working?
like how netflix has this system where atmos works only if the display is 4k other wise i think the audio is down to 5.1

And live Cricket video quality was way better in SonyLiv compared to hotstar
I am happy someone felt it. I was looking at whats wrong with my projector. the cable quality is so much better, I am thinking of moving to it temporarily.

I am not sure. I have 400 Mbps and on ethernet and yet live cricket sucks on the big screen although House of Dragon was fine

Someone with a Twitter account should share this thread and tag Hotstar. Also, tag SonyLiv so they can call out Hotstar.

Everything boils down to your internet speed.

Not for me. Was watching PL highlights this afternoon followed by a bit of Adhura Sach. The former was compressed to hell (and back) and the latter was miles better. Speedtest suggested that my internet speed (wired) was 400 Mbps+ at the time of watching the PL highlights.

could be because my display is 1080p even the 5.1 audio is not working?
like how netflix has this system where atmos works only if the display is 4k other wise i think the audio is down to 5.1
not sure.. You can check once on the video details section whether the hotstar app is detecting your HT setup properly (i.e. surround sound details) or not.

While playing video -> click on video settings -> video details.

I use AppleTV4k and Hotstar on ATV gives DD+ 5.1 audio for most of the recent content - like Mandalorian, Boba Fett, recent Star Wars, etc. To my disbelief they showed Atmos logo against recent Tamil movie Vikram - but it lasted only 1-2 days. Then it reverted to DD. For the content they have if they can manage good quality and Atmos it would be awesome.

I don't expect their subscribers (mostly watching on phones) care about AV quality, so I doubt they will. I only watch Liverpool games on Hotstar in my HT when it's raining and my TataSky STB can't get a signal. The quality can be pretty hit/miss. IME, SonyLiv seems to be better for sports. Appa and Amma watch a couple of Tamil serials when they visit and those aren't too bad, but the foreign TV stuff is pretty poor. Don't think I haven't watched anything on it other than Chernobyl and Mare on Easttown, TBF.

Really, really wish the iTunes store in India started carrying TV shows.
Hotstar has a split personality..
- Disney + content streams 4K with DV /atmos at a bitrate higher than Netflix and just under ATV+ (about 30-35mbps).. i.e. as good as it gets

- FX/ HBO and other syndicated programming streams at 1080p .. 6-7mbps typically .. not truly acceptable in 2022 , but at least streams at native frame rate

- Sports , while I don't watch sports much but the little bit i do is pretty bad.. The frame rate is chopped into half and hovers around the 25fps mark for content that is originally at 50 leading to a lot of noticeable jerkiness

Hi,
I think 5.1 audio is only enabled for Android powered TVs as of now. Not yet supported on TVs powered by WebOS.

Not really. I have Airtel Fiber (200 mbps). MUBI, Apple TV+ and Netflix stream in excellent quality. Sony not quite. And Hotstar the worst.
Netflix 4k has 799 a month tariff. It would be as good and contingent in quality to what they are charging subscribers. Hotstar new flicks, for instance Cuttputlli has reasonable quality for a 1000 rupees a year subscription. Kasauli looks so brilliant and streaming quality is reasonable. But when i pulled out the ethernet and start to view it at 5 ghz wifi, there is some distortion. (Not continually though)

Netflix 4k has 799 a month tariff. It would be as good and contingent in quality to what they are charging subscribers. Hotstar new flicks, for instance Cuttputlli has reasonable quality for a 1000 rupees a year subscription. Kasauli looks so brilliant and streaming quality is reasonable. But when i pulled out the ethernet and start to view it at 5 ghz wifi, there is some distortion. (Not continually though)
I think the primary issue is with live sports transmission where they reach 75l to 1cr views and they reduce the quality to almost unwatchable in a large screen.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back