How can I even out the bass response in my room?

subabu2002

dear members ,

The bass response in my room is quite variable, with some notes appearing boomy in some places especially kick bass and others being quite weak at nearby speaker and front side, but the overall amount of bass seems about right at end of the room wall..

the problem i felt was , the slabs in my room creates so many corners..

does effective bass trapping allows the room to support all of the bass that the speakers produce?
does bass traps 'remove' the bass from a room corners or instead they support the louder and more consistent bass that is produced by the speakers? because i am happy with deep bass effect in some corners..
for small room size ( 10 * 10 ft ),is there any practical problems associated with effective bass trapping?

simply i need even same bass response both at the listening position and throughout the room.

please help
thanks
suresh babu

dear members ,

The bass response in my room is quite variable, with some notes appearing boomy in some places especially kick bass and others being quite weak at nearby speaker and front side, but the overall amount of bass seems about right at end of the room wall..

the problem i felt was , the slabs in my room creates so many corners..

does effective bass trapping allows the room to support all of the bass that the speakers produce?
does bass traps 'remove' the bass from a room corners or instead they support the louder and more consistent bass that is produced by the speakers? because i am happy with deep bass effect in some corners..
for small room size ( 10 * 10 ft ),is there any practical problems associated with effective bass trapping?

simply i need even same bass response both at the listening position and throughout the room.

please help
thanks
suresh babu
If space and budget permits go dual which is the best solution for even and smooth bass. Bass traps and some basic acoustic treatment to room will help

Agree with the above to go with two subwoofers but first do try using bass traps especially in 4 corners.
This will not reduce the bass, only even out the response.

The only way to have smoother bass (fewer/smaller peaks & dips) AND greater consistency from seat to seat is to use more than one sub and make careful use of placement (seating location and subwoofer locations), especially in your square room. Bass traps would need to be several feet thick to truly absorb low frequencies, which wouldn't be practical in your small room.

BTW, it is a waste of resources to improve bass response at locations where no one is sitting; can even end up compromising the sound where listeners are sitting.

Your last sentence is not clear.
Sorry if I was not clear. Let me elaborate.
Sometimes, to address the high and mid frequencies, one can easily over-dampen a room by adding too much foam or other absorption material, which could very well result in a dull or lifeless sound.
This would not be the case for low frequencies.There is very little chance of too much bass trapping.
That is why adding bass traps in all corners will not reduce the bass but will make it spread more evenly throughout the room and not load up just in the corners.
Hope this helps.

Go dual. I recently added an emotiva sub to my existing wharfedale sub. Even if the AVR doesn't do separate equalization for both, it is immensely helpful. I also added foam bass traps in corner where the spl reading during low frequency test tone was higher. But these kind of bass traps really don't address the problem. Also if possible move your existing sub away from the corner and close to your centre speaker.

Before spending money on another subwoofer, I highly recommend bass traps. Especially since the room size is quite small.
I agree with Amarendra that foam will do very little, if anything to resolve bass issues.
Best to go with Rockwool/Glasswool.

Before spending money on another subwoofer, I highly recommend bass traps. Especially since the room size is quite small.
I agree with Amarendra that foam will do very little, if anything to resolve bass issues.

i have lot of synth wool consists of 1000gsm. does this helps to trap bass ?
because i dont like rockwool/glasswool in bed room.

Sorry, cannot comment on synthetic wool because I have never used it for this purpose but you could place it in the corners and give it a try.
I understand your apprehension in using rockwool but it's the most effective solution.
You could double wrap it in fabric to ensure it does not leak out.

Rokwool is hazardous....

Back