How do I connect Onkyo 506 Receiver to the HDMI Up-scaling Player

rreddy18

Hi All ,

I have an Oknyo 506 Receiver and Wharfedle Speakers for this setup. No Active Sub- Woofer at this point of time , I followed the advice's of some of the members in this forum.. I am planning to buy a LCD TV and HDMI up-scaling DVD player. Unfortunately I did n't knew that this receiver does support only HDMI pass-through and that means no Audio output through the HDMI.

According to the manual I need to connect Digital Optical Output/Co-axial output from DVD Player to AV receiver. I was thinking of connecting the HDMI ouput from the DVD Player to the TV and Digital Optical/Co-axial output from DVD player to the Onkyo 506 receiver.

But , I was very much worried/upset after reading the following post at this location ,
====

Re: Best DVD player with Upscaling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it right that Philips DVP5986 can't ouput HDMI and Coaxial audio at same time?
====

Is this applicable for all the models like panasonic , samsung etc?. Can some one please suggest what is the best option out for connecting the HDMI upscaling player to the AV receiver and the LCD TV.

Regards
Ravi

It is most likely a quirk of the Philips player. Although I can't say for sure. It makes no sense for a player to work like that...even if that is the case, there may be an option on the player to send the audio only through the co-axial and the video only through HDMI....

Hi All ,

I have an Oknyo 506 Receiver and Wharfedle Speakers for this setup. No Active Sub- Woofer at this point of time , I followed the advice's of some of the members in this forum.. I am planning to buy a LCD TV and HDMI up-scaling DVD player. Unfortunately I did n't knew that this receiver does support only HDMI pass-through and that means no Audio output through the HDMI.

According to the manual I need to connect Digital Optical Output/Co-axial output from DVD Player to AV receiver. I was thinking of connecting the HDMI ouput from the DVD Player to the TV and Digital Optical/Co-axial output from DVD player to the Onkyo 506 receiver.

But , I was very much worried/upset after reading the following post at this location ,
====

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it right that Philips DVP5986 can't ouput HDMI and Coaxial audio at same time?
====

Is this applicable for all the models like panasonic , samsung etc?. Can some one please suggest what is the best option out for connecting the HDMI upscaling player to the AV receiver and the LCD TV.

Regards
Ravi

Unfortunately I did n't knew that this receiver does support only HDMI pass-through and that means no Audio output through the HDMI.

You have this completely wrong. HDMI always carries both audio and video together. HDMI pass through refers the capability of the AVR to accept and transfer a video of a particular resolution without any processing. Foir example, if your DVD player sends a 1080p signal, your AVR will just pass it on to the TV as is with down scaling or up scaling it.

If all three in the chain have HDMI, that is the best and simplest way to connect. DVD to AVR to TV.

You can also connect the TV directly to the player with an HDMI and use any other connection for DVD to AVR. Most DVD Players have only one HDMI output socket.

But , I was very much worried/upset after reading the following post at this location, Is it right that Philips DVP5986 can't ouput HDMI and Coaxial audio at same time? Is this applicable for all the models like panasonic , samsung etc?. Can some one please suggest what is the best option out for connecting the HDMI upscaling player to the AV receiver and the LCD TV.

This must be a case of error in the particular player or wrong setting. All players will output data into all the sockets for video and audio. On the receiving end you have to have the settings done properly.

For example, if you have a DVD connected to TV with an HDMI, and to the AVR with a Coaxial what you have to do is as follows:

1. On the TV, choose the input as HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 depending upon which socket on the TV you have connected the HDMI cable. This is usually done with the TV/AV button.

2. On the AVR, choose Coaxial as input settings, and set your HMDI In as OFF.

I have used this many times, and I know it works very well.

Cheers

Ravi Pls Chk Pg 39 Of the manual

Downloaded from
Philips Support - DVP5986K/98

Venkat it seems last time too this discussion happened - when I checked the manual I realised that it is possible to send only Video through HDMI & audio through other connections - least in theory.

Ravi -pls can u chk thre manual and let me know the results - in near future me too planning to upgrade to LCD & HDMI DVD but do not want to phase out my old yamaha 5.1 DTS receiver.

The procedure is given

I am copying and pasting from the PDF Page-

HDMI Audio Setup
This function allows you to set the digital
audio to output via HDMI cable.
{ On }
To enable the HDMI digital audio to
output via HDMI cable.
{ Off }
To disable the HDMI digital audio to
output via HDMI cable.
Tips:
?? {Digital Output} and {LPCM Output} are
only applicable when {HDMI Audio Setup} is
set to {Off}.
?? If {HDMI Audio Setup} is set to {Off}, no
sound could be hear through HDMI
connection.
?? If {HDMI Audio Setup} is set to {On}, it is
possible to hear PCM audio fi le via coaxial

Thanks venkatcr for valuable inputs once again. I sincerely appreciate your knowledge and the answers you are providing to all of us.

You have this completely wrong. HDMI always carries both audio and video together. HDMI pass through refers the capability of the AVR to accept and transfer a video of a particular resolution without any processing. Foir example, if your DVD player sends a 1080p signal, your AVR will just pass it on to the TV as is with down scaling or up scaling it.

In the case of Onkyo 506 , if I connect the HDMI to the receiver then the receiver will not process any audio and it will just pass the Audio+Video to the TV. That is the reasoon why I need to connect the Digital output from DVD player to the receiver. Is my understanding is correct ?.

If all three in the chain have HDMI, that is the best and simplest way to connect. DVD to AVR to TV.

I guess this may not be possible with the 506 model?.

This must be a case of error in the particular player or wrong setting. All players will output data into all the sockets for video and audio. On the receiving end you have to have the settings done properly.

Ok , that's good. It could be some setting that needs to be tweaked for the DVD player.

Reddy:

I went through the 506 manual, and what you are saying seems to be correct, though I just cannot believe it. The manual say the following regarding HDMI connection:

Onkyo Manual said:
For TX-SR506
  • Audio and video signals received via inputs other than the HDMI IN jacks are not output by the HDMI OUT.
  • Audio and video signals received via the HDMI IN jacks are output only by the HDMI OUT.
  • To watch an HDMI source that??s connected via the AV receiver??s HDMI jacks, the AV receiver must be turned on, otherwise no HDMI signal will be output.
  • If you want to listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, in addition to an HDMI connection, you??ll also need to make a separate analog or digital audio connection.

The last bullet point is what I am surprised about. How can one have an HDMI IN whose audio is not processed by the AVR? Does not make any sense to me.

Can you do the following and update us (if you have already not done so)?

1. Connect the DVD Player to the 506 with just a HDMI cable. In the AVR set all inputs to OFF excepting the HDMI IN to which you have connected the DVD player.

See if the AVR decodes the DTS/Dolby signals and plays it on your speakers connected to the AVR.

If you don't hear any sound, what they say is true.

If this is true, I would ask all those buying AVRs with HDMI pass through to look for a higher model that does process HDMI properly.

Cheers

I think 506 is asking both HDMI input and audio input as probably the audio pins inputs are disabled at the AVR.

Hi All ,

====

====

Regards
Ravi

Hi,
If you check LG DV-388 you can get what you want.HDMI video & co-ax at a time.Performance is decent ,both DVD & USB.

Currently I do not have LCD TV and HDMI DVD player. I will be buying then soon.
I do not want to do the same mistake as I did with the Onkyo 506 , I should have
bought 576 or 605 , But I that time I did n't knew much about these forums.

As mentioned by hemantwaghe and also from the dvp5996k manual

HDMI Audio Setup
This function allows you to set the digital
audio to output via HDMI cable.
{ On }
To enable the HDMI digital audio to
output via HDMI cable.
{ Off }
To disable the HDMI digital audio to
output via HDMI cable.
Tips:
?? {Digital Output} and {LPCM Output} are
only applicable when {HDMI Audio Setup} is
set to {Off}.
?? If {HDMI Audio Setup} is set to {Off}, no
sound could be hear through HDMI
connection.
?? If {HDMI Audio Setup} is set to {On}, it is
possible to hear PCM audio fi le via coaxial
--
Notes:
?? Digital Audio Setup setting is only available if HDMI Audio is set
to { Off }.
--

It should be possible to get the sound from digital co-axial cable when I disable HDMI Audio. I think this is the problem only with the Philips DVD player , but atleast there is some stupid and nonsense workaround.
Any way I will compare botyh Pioneer and Philips before deciding on this.

I think 506 is asking both HDMI input and audio input as probably the audio pins inputs are disabled at the AVR.

More likely, it seems to me that Onkyo is taking the pass through in the literal sense. They are not processing any HDMI input, and just passing them on. As I said this sounds too stupid to me.

Cheers

Reddy,
I am based in hyderabad and i bought a yamaha 363 first and later come to know after two weeks it does not do much. Coming tot he point I went to vector, hyderabad where i bought the piece and talk with the owner about my predicament and after a little talk, he siad if I really want to have a 663(I had no other choice and this was in my bdget) I can buy thta. need to pay in full and rs1000-1500 extra for returning old piece. i was confused, frustrated and angry for my farsightedness/ignorance/foolishnes(not directed at you in any way).
I paid the same(thru credit card and the extra for 663), he delivered the same in 10 days. i hope that was brand new, i checked things to look out in such a piece as tod by forum members in another post.

My suggestion, if budget permits/if you want to/ready to head-on with dealer, please do so and am sure he will help. Just bargain for the change money, if he asks any and get the higher end, prefereably 606(its awesome sound, I heard it, atleast for movies which I am for mostly).
Let the talk be in his avour, products he houses and say, you might come for other things in his shop.

Just a suggestion, since I had an experience. Forum members do not flame me:eek:

regards.

Last edited:
Thank You Anooj for the sugeestion , But I bought it from US , just a month back and also at a good price , about 10k. So I will use this for atleast another 2 years with all the limitations that it has , and later go for a better one.

Back