How do I go about?

Not a sailor and didn't get a word of it :D. Interpreting in the dark, I have to go by the tone and am not sure if this is a hint to chuck me off the ship (by changing the new lee side suddenly) to stop my unending and naive questions :)) LOL or if a parallel was being drawn that piece by piece one did all the things right and now's the time to let the boat sail with the wind and enjoy the ride.

In any case, my apologies if I came across as too demanding but every answer and response has been sincerely appreciated :).

Lee Oh!!!

Hi Simple,you can easily use 16awg cables for even surrounds as long as they are pure OFC.I did little different initially ,16/15awg for frt/centre & 14 for rears.
Now upgraded to Supra classic 4.0.
I can say ,there is certainly improvement in SQ.If you need MX,then it is in Andheri.

In any case, my apologies if I came across as too demanding but every answer and response has been sincerely appreciated :).

Lee Oh!!!
Not at all: it was my idiot response to the thread title. Just me flying off at the mouth. Err... fingers! And my apologies if your thread gets de-railed: we should get back to your subject!

In retrospect... I could say that it is always a good idea to give forum threads titles that are specific --- but that wasn't why I made the post.

(what it is about is tacking: a sailing boat cannot point direct into the wind, to go in the direction the wind is coming from, it must zig-zag accross it. Going about is turning the boat, through the wind, from one tack to the other, from zig to zag.)

I had better stop all this and let you guys get back on topic, because that's what it is about :eek:

Now upgraded to Supra classic 4.0.
I can say ,there is certainly improvement in SQ.If you need MX,then it is in Andheri.

1) Supra classic 4.0 <-- how much did this cost?
2) MX < -- would you know how much MX would cost?
3) I am based in Andheri West, where exactly is MX available in Andheri? I can then avoid a trip all the way to Lamington Road.
4) How does the Taiwan cable compare with MX or DAC?

Thanks.

I did find MX website (MDR Electronics) and they are close to my house. But the 16 AWG (Rs.71.20 per metre) and the 14 AWG (Rs.110 per meter) cables are very expensive:
MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

More expensive than DAC as well. I wonder what the Supra and QED must cost.

I am all for the long commute to Lamington road to get the 14 AWG cables for Rs.60 per metre.

Update: Electrician put up the casing, cable and hooked the speakers. Tested and all speakers and sub-woofer are working / emitting sound. Unfortunately, both the front speakers and the rear surround speakers are all mounted at about 7.5 feet instead of the recommended heights (due to room layout constraints).

So, the first sound with the 14 AWG speaker cables is not that great and I am guessing that is because the listener is at a different angle and height while the sweet spot may be somewhere else. I know it sounded much better with the demo cables since the speakers were all set around listener's ear height. But the sound did grow on me later and its a marked improvement over no sound :).

A fair comparison of the sound between the demo cables and the 14 AWG cables would require the exact same setup for the speakers. But I can't actually compare since the demo cables were not long enough to set it up at the height where the speakers have been setup currently with the 14 AWG cables. So, good or bad I am stuck with the decision about going for the 14 AWG StackFine OFC speaker cables made in Taiwan.

Now about the other adjustments and connecting the various systems, I will bug you guys with questions soon. For now, I have connected Tata Sky+ STB to Onkyo HT-S3200 AVR and then AVR to Samsung LCD 40LAB530. I did connect my old style Pioneer DVD with the TV earlier but a plastic gear in its loading tray seems to have got out of its groove and it insists on making rattling sound and ejecting the DVDs I put in. So, I need to fix that gear / loading tray issue first before I can attach the DVD Player to the AVR.

Look out for further updates and Thanks once again!

14 AWG (2.5mm) Stackfine Cable @ Rs.60 per metre. I bought about 32 metres and so the damage was Rs.1,920. Another Rs.700 to the Electrician for the wiring and mounting of the speakers.

Performance is okay. As I said earlier, I have nothing to compare the current sound to. But I do know that with all the speakers laid at the ear level with demo cable sounded very effective, as compared to the current setting of the speakers at a greater height.

Contented with what I have for now :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back