How does a bezel of a TV affect the viewing experience?

More or an eye candy. It looks good to have narrow bezel that makes the TV appear monolithic.

But, in the long run, you will not notice much. This is my personal opinion.

More or an eye candy. It looks good to have narrow bezel that makes the TV appear monolithic.

But, in the long run, you will not notice much. This is my personal opinion.

Narrow bezel helps in stacked television (where put 4 tvs in 4sides for bigger picture)
Almost none otherwise except aesthetic.

There are places in the developed nations (Japan, Singapore) where place is such a premium and tv prices are negligible compared to room rent. You can fit in a 47"tv in such places where 42 would have fit in the yester years..

The narrower the bezel is, the most good picture quality it will deliver...Right now every TV manufacturing company is looking to produce bezel less TV.
At the CES this year, LG revealed its OLED TV which has 1mm bezel and is said to be TV with minimum bezel.
Samsung is also working on the same and trying to give a tough fight to LG.

The narrower the bezel is, the most good picture quality it will deliver...Right now every TV manufacturing company is looking to produce bezel less TV.
At the CES this year, LG revealed its OLED TV which has 1mm bezel and is said to be TV with minimum bezel.

How does nature of bezel (narrow our wide) lead to improvement of PQ? If you meant viewing experience, then I will agree somewhat.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I am an expert on this topic as I just experienced it myself first hand last month.

Earlier I had a samsung 46 inch LCD with 3 inch bezel on either side.

Now I have a 50 inch plasma with an one inch bezel.

Both the tv's side by side have the same breadth size - the reduction in bezel = increase in screen size.

When I first noticed the installed plasma - I was sure it was 42 inches and not 50 inches and actually took a thread to measure it and then my measured my old tv and confirmed it is actually 50 inches!!!

MY wife and mother also commented that the older LCD had a larger screen than the plasma

Then a week back, a relative who frequents my house commented that my 46inch older tv had a much larger screen than my 50 inch plasma:mad:

So moral of the story - if you have plenty of space to spare and you want to impress people with a larger screen -then get a tv with a large bezel!!!! it sounds crazy but it did prove itself in my house.

But you also have to know that modern tvs do not have large bezels anyways - if I am not mistaken - my plasma today is much more slimmer than my 3 year old LCD.

I've never notice bezel while watching TV and I have a basic plasma with the standard large bezel and a 29" CRT with silver bezel

Long back, when I changed to a 29" CRT with silver bezel from 21" black bezel, it caught my eye for some days but after that I must have got used to it. I have no problem with bezel adjusting from that 29" silver to 42" black (i see both TVs everyday).

Last edited:
Bezel is basically the frame around the TV Screen. And its thinness is pretty significant when viewing. The thinner the TV bezel, the more likely you are about to get the feel of watching TV or movie in cinema-like environment. The 3D experience on a slim bezel TV is much better than the TVs with a thicker bezel. A thin bezel also lends a touch of sleekness to the TV.

Are OLED Tvs available in India??

I've never notice bezel while watching TV and I have a basic plasma with the standard large bezel and a 29" CRT with silver bezel

Long back, when I changed to a 29" CRT with silver bezel from 21" black bezel, it caught my eye for some days but after that I must have got used to it. I have no problem with bezel adjusting from that 29" silver to 42" black (i see both TVs everyday).

Well, thats your point I suppose..Right now people have gone much crazy about the design and looks of the gadgets they are going to have. Major TV manufacturing brand are considering bezel as a important part while designing their Tv.
I think you might be aware of the fact that At ces-2012, LG revealed its bezel less OLED TV and that particular model won the best product award at CES.

Maybe it is just me, but I am more concerned about what is shown on the TV than how a TV looks :D

When I immerse myself into the content, the bezel disappears.

Maybe it is just me, but I am more concerned about what is shown on the TV than how a TV looks :D

When I immerse myself into the content, the bezel disappears.

Yeah, I admit your point but there is a good bunch of people who looks for the design of TV as well along with the picture quality..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back