How good is Iomega 500 GB Screenplay Multi Media HDD

kaushik

Found this Iomega 500 GB HDD player for 10k

*Specs

Specifications
Capacity 500GB HD
Connectivity USB 2.0/AV
System Requirements PC Users: 350MHz Pentium class processor or higher
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, XP Home/XP Professional/XP Professional x64, Windows Vista
64MB RAM
USB 1.1/2.0 equipped
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Interface/connection type USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 backwards compatible) AV Connections: Composite video and audio R/L
Component video: Y, Pb, Pr (480i/480p)
Coaxial S/PDIF output
SCART (RGB)
HDMI
Performance NTFS (default) FAT32
Audio Formats - MP3, AC3 (Dolby Digital.Encoding), WMA, WAV, OGG
Video Formats - MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (AVI/VOB), .MPEG-4 (AVI/DiVX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x/XViD)
Photo Formats - JPEG
PAL/NTSC - 480i/480p; scalable to 720p/1080i
AV connections: SCART (RGB); HDMI.Composite video and audio R/L; .Component video: Y, Pb, Pr; Coaxial S/PDIF output
Hard drive format: NTFS
Resolution: PAL/NTSC - 480i/480p; scalable to 720p/1080i
Dimensions (L x W x H) 5.0" x 2.3" x 7.7"
Weight 0.90 Kg

Any idea , is it worth the money ?

Kaushik:

You have added the specs with system requirements.

The Iomega Screenplay is a just an external hard disk that can work with any PC that meets the system requirements. In general Iomega drives are good, BUT a lot depends on which internal drives they are using for this model.

You should be able to get a raw 500 GB (Seagate, for example) drive for about Rs.3500. Add an external box for about 1000, and you will have an USB ready SATA drive for about Rs.4500.

Cheers

Kaushik:

You have added the specs with system requirements.

The Iomega Screenplay is a just an external hard disk that can work with any PC that meets the system requirements. In general Iomega drives are good, BUT a lot depends on which internal drives they are using for this model.

You should be able to get a raw 500 GB (Seagate, for example) drive for about Rs.3500. Add an external box for about 1000, and you will have an USB ready SATA drive for about Rs.4500.

Cheers

Hi Venkat
You hvae mistaken the Iomega Screenplay drives as our regurlar portable HDD's and the ones in the casing
This has all the requiered outs to play video and audio
Read the specs on the following link

Multimedia PC to TV: Iomega ScreenPlay USB Portable Hard Drive:

Hi Venkat
You have mistaken the Iomega Screenplay drives as our regurlar portable HDD's and the ones in the casing. This has all the requiered outs to play video and audio. Read the specs on the following link

You are right Rikhav. Thank you.

Kaushik, in addition to having a 500GB HD, the Iomega Screenplay also has inbuilt electronics to play the data inside onto a TV without any external device.

Thus the answer to your question will depend upon your usage. If you use the PC to just transfer multimedia onto the Screenplay, disconnect the Screenplay from the PC, and then use it to view on the TV, the additional 5K seems worth it.

But if you are going to base all you software on the PC, and connect the PC to the TV for viewing, the Screenplay will act as another hard drive.

Given the inbuilt electronics, it can do double duty - as a storage device, and as a independent player.

Cheers

This is a good product if you want to play divx movies off HDD. TVix on the other hand plays .mkv files that contain high definition content. TVix has a digital audio (SPDIF) out so you can connect it to a good AVR for true theater experience in HD. However, TVix does not come with a built in HDD and you have to invest in money for that. TVix is priced at around 21K and comes with one year warranty. The processor used is high quality and the over all look of device os way better than iomega.

If you have a full HD LCD/Plasma, investing in TVix makes sense as BD players seem way of as of today. Due to HDD connectivity, you can create yur own HD library without having to clutter jewel cases.

On the other hand if you only intend to watch DivX movies via HDD, Iomega is the choice. You can check on ebay, there are other HDD based players available capable of playing mp4 format.

In my opinion, more than video, it is the sound that makes up complete home theater experience and absence of coaxial/digital out means you only have a stereo output which is no good for watching high def movies.

thank you .. venkat , bhuvan and others ...

it supports HDMI , and also HD resolusions just wanted to know how good is in built playback ...any one had any demo of this product?

yes venkat as u said , my friend wanted to use it as a dual purpose HDD . he had a LCD and was looking for HDD based player.

kapz, i dont think sound is an issue

surround sound is possible as the unit has co-axial/SPDIF out ,also AV recievers take HDMI...

Last edited:
These are the numbers in metros. Can someone please do an audition and post comments? I am in Kochi so auditioning not possible. Main area of lookout: playback upto 1080p and audio support for Dolby 5.1 and DTS.

Binary System Pvt Ltd Tel: +91 80 22266630
Green Vision Private Limited Tel: +91 11 55627277
Mehak Data system Tel: +91 40 27894917
Silver Touch Technologies Tel: +91 79 26563158

Thanks.

Looks good on paper. Has anyone checked it out and if so what's the review? I am looking for something like this especially for my music collection.

I second Kapz opinion. It is better to go for media player which can play the mkv files. TVIX 6500 is the best but very expensive. I think is 25+K in Mumbai. Jay Multimedia Inc. - TViX India

Cheaper (but good) alternative is Elektron EHP 606. I have already started another thread on this topic under "HD Networked Media Tank"

Basic or important difference I found between TVIX & Elektron is that TVIX can resume & rewind MKV files. (Elektron can resume/ rewind only DVD video)

But with newer firmwares this gap can be bridged

TVIX 6500 also has an optical out in addition to digital coaxial.

I second Kapz opinion. It is better to go for media player which can play the mkv files. TVIX 6500 is the best but very expensive. I think is 25+K in Mumbai. Jay Multimedia Inc. - TViX India

Cheaper (but good) alternative is Elektron EHP 606. I have already started another thread on this topic under "HD Networked Media Tank"

Basic or important difference I found between TVIX & Elektron is that TVIX can resume & rewind MKV files. (Elektron can resume/ rewind only DVD video)

But with newer firmwares this gap can be bridged

TVIX 6500 also has an optical out in addition to digital coaxial.

Somehow i am begining to belive that if i have to spend 25 k then I would rather spend 10k more and go for a Dell Studio Hybrid Desktop. The design is beautiful and so is the finishing !

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back