How hot is this deal

captrajesh

Staff member
One of my acquaintances is selling his Home Theatre comprising of the following components: -

Marantz SR 7001 - 7.1 Receiver
Marantz DV 4001 - DVD Player
Boston Accoustics VR3 - Front Towers
Boston Accoustics CR67 - Rear Surrounds
Boston Accoustics VRC - Centre
Boston Accoustics XB6 - Subwoofer

He is quoting 80k.

How hot is this deal?

The Marantz 7001 is a good AVR but it will not Decode HD AUDIO ( Dolby True HD & DTS HD Master audio )

if you are planning to buy an AVR its better to buy one with the latest HD Audio decoders

@ Denom & Spiro

The entire setup is indeed 2-3 years old.

@Subash & Srini

Actually, more than me the users would be my kids:D as I am a music guy & would prefer music to movies anyday.

Considering that they would be graduating from TV speakers to this system which in itself is a quantum leap for them, is this deal hot enough to be lapped up? Ofcourse, I'll not buy it for 80k. Is it a good deal for 50k?

Rgds

Rajesh

The spkr package from boston acoustics looks very good and do have very good reviews ,especially the towers vr6 and sub xb6---this cud be very good for HT as a package

Capt. I second Subhash on the Boston Acoustics speakers. I have heard these and other models and they are pretty decent speakers.
Cheers
Sid

The spkr package from boston acoustics looks very good and do have very good reviews ,especially the towers vr6 and sub xb6---this cud be very good for HT as a package

Capt. I second Subhash on the Boston Acoustics speakers. I have heard these and other models and they are pretty decent speakers.
Cheers
Sid

Thank you very much for your advice.

Could you also advice if it is a good deal for say 50k?

The following rating would be considered an excellent advice.

1 Point: It is a rip-off. Do not touch it.
2 Points: It is OK but bargain a bit harder.
3 Points: It is a fair deal.
4 Points: It is a good deal.
5 Points: It is a steal. Grab it.

Last edited:

Capt. I am not sure of Indian retail pricing on these but IMO becoz of the fact that you are getting a whole HT systemfor 50k I would say that it is a 3. Plus added to the fact that the VR3's can perform double duty as decent stereo speakers. Of-course you wont get the latest processing. If I was you I would see if the seller can separate the speakers from the electronics and then depending on the price (which I am assuming will decrease significantly from 50k) it will be a great deal. You can add a rcvr. with new processing and a decent BR player (which from what I read you can get for under 10k now) and you would have a very nice HT system as well that would not be only for the kidz.:lol:
Cheers
Sid

I did not work with this particular model but its bigger brother 8400.

If the seller bought it brand new, then you should be comparing the bargain you are getting vs. what he might have paid - its not fair to compare receivers at today's pricing or features. If you take this as the criteria, then you will land at a 5. this is because the receiver came out at end of 2006 and was priced almost $1000 - $1200 alone.

Re: the lack of HD audio processing, this is a minor point as most mid priced players process the audio onboard. So you can get the video and audio through the HDMI cables or analogue inputs. There are enough HDMI connections that even today's receivers can cringe about. Also these are also very good for stereo applications.

For someone coming off TV speakers, this is indeed a quantum leap. So your kids shoudl be very happy with these.

Boston Acoustics is a decent mid fi brand that is good for HT and good for music esp. for a second system.

I am not sure if 50K is a workable number in this (hope the seller is not reading this thread :) ) . I would not go below 60K for the type and quality of the speakers + sub and that is a stretch.

hi captrajesh -

at 50 K INR - he will not sell - and, he might think ill of you-

a decent figure for that (well looked after system) should be upwards 0f 75 K

for you to dis-regard.

regards suri

at 50 K - 5 points - but - do not put a genuine seller in such a corner!

Captain,

The SR7001 supports 7.1 multi-channel analog input. While you & your kids can enjoy non-HD home theater for now, in the future if you decide to take the HD route, all you need is a decent pre/pro like the Emotiva UMC-1 that Santosh & Subhash purchased recently. Connect the UMC-1 to the SR-7001 through its multi-channel analog inputs and you have a full HD home theater! The amp section of SR7001 is very good and serve you well for quite a few years if you decide to take the pre/pro route for HD audio & video decoding. An added bonus is that the SR7001 supports Audyssey calibration although I do not know if its 2EQ or Multi-EQ.

So I would rate this deal (if you buy it at 50K) as 4.

-thekinge

Captain,

The SR7001 supports 7.1 multi-channel analog input. While you & your kids can enjoy non-HD home theater for now, in the future if you decide to take the HD route, all you need is a decent pre/pro like the Emotiva UMC-1 that Santosh & Subhash purchased recently. Connect the UMC-1 to the SR-7001 through its multi-channel analog inputs and you have a full HD home theater! The amp section of SR7001 is very good and serve you well for quite a few years if you decide to take the pre/pro route for HD audio & video decoding. An added bonus is that the SR7001 supports Audyssey calibration although I do not know if its 2EQ or Multi-EQ.

So I would rate this deal (if you buy it at 50K) as 4.

-thekinge

You can also just get a bluray player with decoders. the analog out can be connected directly to the AVRs 7.1 input.

I dont think you'll be needing more 7.1 inputs as I dont think there are other devices you would need to connect. set top boxes wouldnt be using hd audio, max dolby digital. Most of the pc based movies (read downloaded) also dont come with 7.1 channel hd audio.

This AVR accepts 7.1 analog in, so if you need lossless audio, you can do what thekinge or thedoors has suggested. I think Sumit has this AVR and is using it this way, PM him for his views. At 50k, it is a good deal for you. At ~65k, it is a good deal for both the seller and you:).

How much would the same cost you if you got it new today?
Hi Gobble

All these component models have since been discontinued. I checked the net for various used deals and the total adds up to the equivalent of 43k INR. Of course, none of those being sold are from India so they are in USD.

Rgds

Rajesh

@ 50K its a steal but i doubt the seller wud agree ,this amp wud for sure sound much better than most newer AVRs at the same price + you get a very good spkr pack along

its even a steal @ 60-65k just add a BDP with internal decoders ,Kids are much smarter these days and wud prefer everything HD :) i mean FULL HD ,no upscaling!! its the case with me @ home :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back