How is your experience with Nvidia Shield in India and Indian streaming services?

swamytk

I am eagerly waiting for next gen Nvidia Shield which is expected in max 6 months. I am not in hurry though. Expecting DV, YouTube HDR and other features support to complement capable Sony X9000F TV. But I would like to know from Indian angle. How is this device specific to India? I mean how is gaming console feature (kids like basic games) in India? How about streaming services specific to India? Most of all services available? Any India specific restrictions?

I have been using Nvidia shield for last 8 months. Got it from US as India availability was a big issue. Initially thought of getting Firsestick but later settled with Nvidia Shield for more versatility. Neither my TV nor receiver supports 4K so will not be able to comment on that.But current gen does not have support for DV.

But I would like to know from Indian angle. How is this device specific to India? I mean how is gaming console feature (kids like basic games) in India? How about streaming services specific to India? Most of all services available? Any India specific restrictions?
From Indian usage angle also this device is good and we can download and use apps from google play store like Hotstar, Sony Liv, Zee5 etc . But do remember that play store is android TV specific and several apps from mobile playstore are not available. There are some Firetv specific apps which are not available on play store like TVF, Voot scoopwhoop etc but can be sideloaded and they work fine. A good thing is that several apps not available on app store officially can still be sideloaded.
But do remember there are several country specific content/app it will not work here. Few I tried were Vudu (app is there but does not work). Some apps are not available at all in India like BBC iplayer (tried to sideload it but was not able to make it work), Disney app (cannot recall exact name now) + few more.
Playing content from hard disk is great. I tried playing 20GB files and those played very well. It comes with Plex media server and MX player, VLC can be installed for playing local content.
Gaming performance is best out there (in Android TV world) , in fact one of the main reasons for getting it. Gameplay is smooth. If gaming is required do take version with shield game controller its worth small premium paid. Else third party game controllers are also available. I was using with my PS3 controller and it worked very good. What is know PS4 and Xbox controllers are also good option. but dont go with cheap 3rd party controllers. I tried few and those were not good and spoiled fun. I am currently using with Logitech F710 performance wise it is good but needs a dongle to be connected.
It also comes with Geforce now with several free games and steam games can also be played. I had tried anf games though run fine but primary issue is with latency. For slow games its not noticeable but for fast moving games that will be concern.
One more point with android games is that since device is having 12 GB of usable storage which is fine for normal use but if we install huge games then space will be filled very fast.

But do remember there are several country specific content/app it will not work here. Few I tried were Vudu (app is there but does not work). Some apps are not available at all in India like BBC iplayer (tried to sideload it but was not able to make it work), Disney app (cannot recall exact name now) + few more.
Expected :)
Playing content from hard disk is great. I tried playing 20GB files and those played very well. It comes with Plex media server and MX player, VLC can be installed for playing local content.
This is nice to hear about local disk content. Along with that I am planning to stream from my Linux machine which runs Plex media server in another room. So Plex media client on Shield should work fine with right network bandwidth (mostly ethernet).
One more point with android games is that since device is having 12 GB of usable storage which is fine for normal use but if we install huge games then space will be filled very fast.
Understood that. Gaming is not primary, just for kids occasionally. Thanks it helps a lot.

I have been using the Nvidia Shield for abt 6 months, which i got it from Singapore for 15K, purely for (casual) android gaming on a large screen (100inch).. Streaming and digital audio & video playback is additional plus..

But I would like to know from Indian angle. How is this device specific to India? I mean how is gaming console feature (kids like basic games) in India?

My 4.5 yrs old daughter uses it for gaming (crossy roads, Badland, beach buggy racing, Reaper, Bombsquad and few others) and she uses it more for videos (Youtube kids) and she is happy doing it with gamepad.. Easier for her to hold the device and operate..

How about streaming services specific to India? Most of all services available? Any India specific restrictions?

Myself & wife use it for streaming movies from Prime, Sun Nxt, Hotstar, Zee 5, few other movie streaming apps and movie playback from external hard disk drivers.. Lovely device..

Since the chromecast in integrated, movie streaming is even easier to choose from mobile and play it on the screen..

All the above experience is with FHD projector.. I have no info on 4K playback as i don't have a capable display..

Understood that. Gaming is not primary, just for kids occasionally. Thanks it helps a lot.
Just to add its android installed games which take larger space , eg Asphalt take 2GB+ storage.
Geforce now and steam games take very little space like few 100 kb's.

We can add external USB HDD as adoptable storage (internal storage non-removable). But disk based HDD's and Pendrives are not recommended , only SSD's are recommended. I was planning to add 240GB external SSD but kept hold as can still manage with internal storage

We can add external USB HDD as adoptable storage (internal storage non-removable). But disk based HDD's and Pendrives are not recommended , only SSD's are recommended. I was planning to add 240GB external SSD but kept hold as can still manage with internal storage
adoptable storage support? great! I have 120GB SSD lying idle :)

Along with that I am planning to stream from my Linux machine which runs Plex media server in another room. So Plex media client on Shield should work fine with right network bandwidth (mostly ethernet).
Yes streaming large files should work fine over ethernet. Since shield anyway supports most of the formats trans coding is not kicked. I use shield inbuild media server and that works fine without any lag.

How about FLAC/WAV support?
FLAC support is there. I am not much in music but tried playing few FLAC's in Plex and all those played fine.
But there were some concern over audio files playback where users had mentioned that shield does not purely passthrough audio files and does some conversions which can impact audio quality (cannot recall exactly will try to search through and update).

adoptable storage support? great! I have 120GB SSD lying idle :)
Thats good device to be lying idle :). Just get a USB casing and you are good to go.
I was initially thinking of adding SSD then thought on getting a M.2 SSD for smaller form factor ,but that time cases were expensive. Now they are within budget but since an able to get my work done with internal storage so plan gone on hold till needed again.

Yes streaming large files should work fine over ethernet. Since shield anyway supports most of the formats trans coding is not kicked. I use shield inbuild media server and that works fine without any lag.
Thanks. So do the built-in media server fetches media files from local HDD in your case? Do you its support for network path?

Thats good device to be lying idle :). Just get a USB casing and you are good to go.
Having a USB casing too. Right now occasionally (not serious enough) I use it for Windows OS Backup. But I am in the process of expanding my Backup System, so I can use it for such purposes.

Thanks. So do the built-in media server fetches media files from local HDD in your case? Do you its support for network path?
Yes Plex media server uses files connected to Local HDD in my case. Have setup Plex media server to pick up files from specific directories in HDD for movies , TV, music etc. External HDD is also used by Plex media server to store other information and metadata. I feel information fetching was bit slower but that is only when HDD has been removed and connected recently. But its minor issue for me and also shield's internal storage is saved.
It does support network drives but never tried it.

You can use kodi and unleash it's potential on Shield.

The easiest way is VLC....much quicker than Plex. Also has digital audio passthrough. The latest VLC has HDR 10 support...so the PQ is not much different in PLEX/KODI.

I find browsing through VLC for local NAS much faster. Plex do take some time.....and occasionally you have to restart Plex server. It also tries to transcode if your settings are such. (I find streaming at original much better).

The UI is off course best in PLEX followed by KODI. VLC is not very cosmetic.

I have two 4TB HDD connected to my nighthawk AX8 to store my media files.

But there were some concern over audio files playback where users had mentioned that shield does not purely passthrough audio files and does some conversions which can impact audio quality (cannot recall exactly will try to search through and update).

Following thread details issue which I had mentioned above which has something to do with up-sampling.
I was not able to make too much sense out of it. May be you may be aware or other FM can pitch in.
(Just in case you were not able to find this thread on shield tv forum)

I am eagerly waiting for next gen Nvidia Shield which is expected in max 6 months. I am not in hurry though. Expecting DV, YouTube HDR and other features support to complement capable Sony X9000F TV. But I would like to know from Indian angle. How is this device specific to India? I mean how is gaming console feature (kids like basic games) in India? How about streaming services specific to India? Most of all services available? Any India specific restrictions?
I have been using Nvidia shield for last 8 months. Got it from US as India availability was a big issue. Initially thought of getting Firsestick but later settled with Nvidia Shield for more versatility. Neither my TV nor receiver supports 4K so will not be able to comment on that.But current gen does not have support for DV.

From Indian usage angle also this device is good and we can download and use apps from google play store like Hotstar, Sony Liv, Zee5 etc . But do remember that play store is android TV specific and several apps from mobile playstore are not available. There are some Firetv specific apps which are not available on play store like TVF, Voot scoopwhoop etc but can be sideloaded and they work fine. A good thing is that several apps not available on app store officially can still be sideloaded.
Gaming performance is best out there (in Android TV world) , in fact one of the main reasons for getting it. Gameplay is smooth. If gaming is required do take version with shield game controller its worth small premium paid. Else third party game controllers are also available. I was using with my PS3 controller and it worked very good. What is know PS4 and Xbox controllers are also good option. but dont go with cheap 3rd party controllers. I tried few and those were not good and spoiled fun. I am currently using with Logitech F710 performance wise it is good but needs a dongle to be connected.
It also comes with Geforce now with several free games and steam games can also be played. I had tried anf games though run fine but primary issue is with latency. For slow games its not noticeable but for fast moving games that will be concern.
Hi...Greetings. Can you pls confirm if you are getting Dolby sound from Zee5 and Sonyliv through Shield TV? I am in Malaysia and use some DNS and proxy to access the content but only get Stereo sound. Where as app installed directly on Samsung gives me Dolby...so wondering if there is some setting needed in app or Shield. I do get Dolby atmos from Netflix and Disney through Shield. Thanks Rajeev

Hi...Greetings. Can you pls confirm if you are getting Dolby sound from Zee5 and Sonyliv through Shield TV? I am in Malaysia and use some DNS and proxy to access the content but only get Stereo sound. Where as app installed directly on Samsung gives me Dolby...so wondering if there is some setting needed in app or Shield. I do get Dolby atmos from Netflix and Disney through Shield. Thanks Rajeev
Hello,

In Zee5, only 4-5 movies with dolby 5.1 sound like "Dreamgirl", "Radhe", "Power" etc. can be played on Shield. For AppleTv, there are few more like "Simba" & "Uri" that can be played in atmos.
Try the above movies on shield; it should play in dolby audio.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back