How many albums does one need

prem

There was once a time i had more than 3000 cds. Thats when i started trimming my collection. My reasoning was at best i would have time to listen to 2 albums a day which means if i had 700 albums, i would be able to listen to an album only once a year. Since that realisation, i figured out at no point should i have more than 700 albums.

I listen to 6 albums a day.... so by your logic, @1 listen to an album per year, my collection should never be over 2100 LPs!
Darn! I'm still short of 500 LPs! LOL!

but then, that doesn't take into account my extended listening sessions on Sundays.

That's why I have only one cd:D. Rest i keep in my hdd in mp3 format. When i want to hear a song I play it.;)

@Malvai,
Can you please share the mantra of collecting so many LPS. 1600 nos of LPs! wow..

its simple really... look around for them, be ready to spend some money... LOL!

On a more serious note, it takes time to scour the markets in Mumbai and Delhi... TIME is the biggest investment.

I also have a huge collection of CD's but when I put a CD, I will not listen to all the songs. I may just like 3-4 songs then Ill skip to another CD. So in a single day I might hear 5-6 CDs.

I agree with Deepak. I never listen to the full album (of course except the first 1-2 times to gauge the album). Most of us actually don't. We listen to our favourite tracks.

Thats why the concept of Playlists and popularity of digital music. ;)

If we go by your logic then at some point of time we should buying music; that would mean all future music not to be bought. Or just imagine to buy a new release you dump an old album!

500 CD's/Vinyl's of Western Classical music. And 500 CD's/Vinyl's of Hindustani Classical. Enough music to last a lifetime :)

Malvai and Ajay, you guys are among the very few i know who manage to get so much time to listen to music. So this question i guess is not meant for you two. Ever since getting my EMT i am back into vinyl collection. Have already got about 250 Hindi lps and 120 English lps. A decent number to enjoy my table

who listens to albums prem???
i thought we are supposed to listen songs.
why count ?
is music your hobby/ your passion or a daily chore to be carried out by passing hours??
i often keep listening to a single song for until the break of dawn. sometimes 4-6-8-10 of them repeatedly. that happens when some tune/lyric/anecdote haunts my brain so much i see lataji/rafisaab in everything i see or hear.
p.s.: do u also count how many breaths inhalation+exhalation cycles you ll be carrying out in a day?

Last edited:
Malvai and Ajay, you guys are among the very few i know who manage to get so much time to listen to music. So this question i guess is not meant for you two. Ever since getting my EMT i am back into vinyl collection. Have already got about 250 Hindi lps and 120 English lps. A decent number to enjoy my table

So fast! Sir eager to see and hear your stuff!!

Hi Dr

Good quality vinyls cost a ton. They do not come cheap, especially mint original presses. The point is how much should one invest in software. Owning a mix of 600 mint vinyls will set one back by approx 6 lakhs. Owning 1500 would set one back by 15 lakhs. Does it make sense to invest the extra 9 lakhs in better hardware or go for more vinyls?

Breathing thank god is still free.

Hi Hemantwaghe

This weekend if you are free.

hey prem.
i aint got 6 lakhs. nor 15 lakhs. not at this moment anyway.
i go 1-2-3 albums at a time. if i have money i purchase albums.
if i have more albums than i can afford, i buy those on top priority in my wish list.
sometimes i go for for an older release in lieu of newer one if i have had to pass it earlier. the only issue pertinent to this question maybe shortage of space. if i had lesser money thn what i have now, i d get cheaper rig. however it d b the best i could afford.

450+ CDs, 600+ LPs and 450+ Cassettes.

CD purchase has been gradual and collected over the years and means a lot to me though I do have some crappy titles like anyone else.

LPs have been collected in the last 18 odd months and they have emptied my wallet over and over again:) but then I'm still happy. It's been a mixed bag in terms of sound quality. Some shiny and pristine-looking records have lousy sound and skip like a ball pinging on a trampoline, while some decrepit looking ones are surprisingly good. The jumpy ones are luckily a very small percentage of the overall purchase.

Cassettes are being retained for old times sake, especially after the serendipitous purchase of a fairly good quality player some months ago.

Are they enough? Long story short - no. At least not CDs and LPs. No more cassette purchase for me.

CDs because new releases are on this medium, with the rare exception of some titles that we do get on vinyl.

Vinyl because one can get really good titles from the usual haunts. And because LPs have introduced me to genres and musicians I'd never consider on CD. And not the least because I have invested a tidy (by my modest standards) sum on 2 classic groove tracers.

Play on!
Joshua

PS: I admire the absolute attitude of prem and ajay124. In my opinion they have seen and been through lots (in their respective audio journeys, that is) and have come to form refined and definite opinions. Of course the same is true of many other respectable members here, but what holds them apart is their absoluteness, their refined thoughts, and their willingness to speak about it and act upon it. Bravo and hats off to you both, sirs.

I agree with prem. I had about 800 to 900 vinyls. But could not manage it. So I have also trimmed down my collection to less than 200 vinyls few EPs and 10/15 78s (some artists are not available on any other format). I do not keep vinyls which have only one or two songs I like or the music I don't like and for hindi vinyls I mostly buy compilations, so as it has all the songs I like. Mostly I avoid listening to CDs and atleast a vinyl get spinned in 1 to 2 days depending on mood and time available.

So I think I am not music lover :sad:

why count ?
I think Prem is not only talking about numbers, but keeping vinyls need maintenance and space. And I would hate to search for my music in 6000 cds or vinyls. But I admire passionate people who do this. Here in my hometown a friend is having 4000 to 5000 vinyls and he listens to them daily.
Best regards :)

Last edited:
I read in a Rolling Stones article last year that this guy (Craig Kallman, co-President of Atlantic Records) owns over 3,50,000 records in his personal collection.

Craig Kallman Discography at Discogs

Assuming he listens to 10 records everyday, he will need 35,000 days or 95 years to listen to every record in his collection!

Assuming he listens to 10 records everyday,
joshua minimum 10 records will require 8-10 hrs. listening.
ffwd_vinyl_freak.jpg

But if he decides he can manage it. Vinyl fanatics are not known to care for what others think :D

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back