How many albums does one need

its subjective
i have 3 cds
around 150 lps and more then 1.5tb of digital music
listen to around 7hours of music everyday in the mixed formats i have
so its all subjective

Initially started buying Cassette /CD with an aim to increase number apart from listening favourite track . Now I buy only those music/songs that I will be listening repeatedly over a long time period. 300 cds , 100 lps, 100 cassettes now and the number could reach 600-800 cds and lps each in coming future - majorly classical. Balance will invest in upgrading gear. Limited good music listening in good gear now gives me more pleasure than just increasing the count of collection.

Thanks

Posted before

CD - 1
LP - What is that?
Cassettes - Had a few before 1999. Whereabouts - no idea.
mp3/wma/flac - 16000+

I don't have much time nor the setup for dedicated music listening. I listen (?) during net browsing, reading :)D) and at work (yes music is allowed at low volume).
:D:D:D

Prem,
I think you raise a pertinent point about when love for music becomes an obsession with hoarding. I do not have CDs or vinyl, since the convenience of and music availability in digital flac far outweighs any potential sound short-comings.

However, even with digital files, I often look at my storage space and wonder when and if I am ever going to listen to those songs again. Some are there because they used to be my favourites while growing up, some are one-hit wonders, others I liked for a phase and then never listened to again. My point is, just like our taste in clothes, people, books, technical subjects, and perspectives evolves (and sometimes changes drastically) over time, so does our taste in music. And many times, if we are honest about it, a lot of the music in our collection falls into: nostalgia, collector's items, perceived famous songs...not in the category of "I'll really miss this song if I don't hear it again".

And that category is the one I try to keep up-to-date, while trimming away (deleting) songs which have fallen out of my taste horizon. But that takes time to go through, and even more difficult, honesty about why you're actually storing that song in the first place...is it because it has become a part of you, or because you like seeing xx Terabytes/10 shelves/20 drawers full of music to make you feel good about your collection size.

In the end, paraphrasing the worn-out cliche: It's not the size of the music that matters, it's how often you use and really enjoy it :cool:

-Jinx.

Posted before

CD - 1
LP - What is that?
Cassettes - Had a few before 1999. Whereabouts - no idea.
mp3/wma/flac - 16000+

I don't have much time nor the setup for dedicated music listening. I listen (?) during net browsing, reading :)D) and at work (yes music is allowed at low volume).
:D:D:D

What is that one lucky CD? :rolleyes::)

The major dilemma I am facing in building a comprehensive collection of western classical music is : How many versions of my favorite music should I buy?

I am no longer satisfied with one version. For Mahler's symphonies, I have versions by Klemperer, Abbado, Bernstein, Kubelik, Barbirolli, Horenstein, Rattle, Guilini, Tennstedt, Boulez.....

Until yesterday I had happily lived with Herbert Von Karajan/ Berliner Philharmoniker box set of Bruckner's symphonies. But I spent the better part of today, reading about Bruckner and the major recordings of his symphonies. Surfing can be akin to travelling through time and space. It was fascinating travelling through Anton Bruckner's 19th century Austria, and then moving on to his interpreters and their life and times ...Furtwangler's, Tintner, Karajan, Jochum, Wand, Celibidache, Haitink, Solti, Barenboim, Boulez....

Ended up by placing an order on Amazon for another box set ( 9CD's Gunter Wand/Kolner Rundfunk Orchestra ) of Bruckner's symphonies.

Ultimately there are no full stops in music. A journey with plenty of wayside stations.....but no final destination :)

But the nice thing Ajay is you are enjoying this whole thing. Thats what matters.

Hats off to the guys who manage 100's and 1000's of LPs. Even CD management is also very difficult. I have about 400 Cd's which was difficult to manage without the SB. With Digital music, My SB has changed whole complexion of my system. Create playlists, Randomize, go by genre and there are whole lot of features available.

Any song can by accessesed in seconds. In fact my SB sounds much better than my older CD player.

In fact I was kind of apprehensive of buying music before I changed to SB. Now for collection of music only sky is the limit.

That is so cool.

My wife has a SB Boom which readily connects to the music stored on a Windows PC, but does not read the music stored on our iMac. The iMac shows 'connected', but the SB is unable to access the music.

We trawled through Sqeezebox forums. We sent and received dozens of mails from the manufacturers. We tried everything recommended on the internet. With no success. We have now given up and only use the SB for internet radio.

My wife is happy because she wanted a portable internet radio, and the SB Boom is perfect for that. I am unhappy, because unlike the SB Touch, it does not have an audio out (stereo RCA connectors), for hooking up with my amp and speakers. But it does have a headphone/sub woofer out, which provides decent SQ with our HD 180 Sennheiser headphones.

On second thought... manav's approach of exploring good music regardless of looking at numbers and ajay's approach of only focusing on the music he is passionate about, both are good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides youtube what is easy, convenient and affordable way to explore new music (all types) ? Is there a forum for music only ? Would be nice if a thread is started for hidden gems, unheard music, new artists, forgotten artists.
:)

On second thought... manav's approach of exploring good music regardless of looking at numbers and ajay's approach of only focusing on the music he is passionate about, both are good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides youtube what is easy, convenient and affordable way to explore new music (all types) ? Is there a forum for music only ? Would be nice if a thread is started for hidden gems, unheard music, new artists, forgotten artists.
:)

Thanks hiten... though, i'd like to explain my approach a little bit...

see, what seems as 'hoarding' or 'indiscriminate buying' on my part is not actually so...

I like to buy stuff from the point of view of exploring each artists/band in its various avatars...

for instance, since childhood, I have LOVED CSNY. So, what do I do? I buy anything avaialble by CSNY. The next stage is to look at all their splinter/off shoot projects like CSN (minus Y) or then Crosby & Stills, then each of their solo projects... or maybe even the point of origin bands - like for instance Neil Young's first band - Buffalo Springfield...

Once I've soaked in the music, I start culling out the stuff that I don't find interesting.

(In fact, pretty soon, a whole lot of vinyl that I have culled out will be up for grabs!)

Now, why do i do this? Simple, i find the various combinations fascinating. I hear the difference that the absence of a band mate leaves. I also get to clearly hear the strengths of the actual artists. In some cases it shows the prowess all too clearly.

Take for instance George Harrison. The youngest among The Beatles. When heard with the rest of the band, it is easy to overlook his contribution. But once you hear his solo stuff, you realise that he was the man behind the rhythm.

The in other cases, when I collect stuff from artists like Joan Baez, I can clearly see the influences behind her compositions. In juxtaposition to the political scenario her bibliography of work sounds too interesting.... unless one hears the entire repertoire, withe the context in place one cannot truly the artist and his/her being. And to me, that is a very important aspect towards making a deeper connection. (I tried doing that to Britney's Pears oops! Britney Spears, but this philosophy failed in her case - entirely! I guess it don't work on some.)

Once the connection is established, the culling can happen.

Also, there are many times that I just buy stuff on a lark. Because, either the cover was interesting or because the name was!

This too has led me to many a gem. And many a blooper. But, its all good. because, at the end of the day one learns.

I hope this elucidates how I go about building my collection.

Last edited:
so many genres to choose from. i listen to blues, jazz, classic rock, western classical, indian classical, fusion, bollywood, ghazals, pretty much everything except rap and country.

different kinds of albums, studio albums, live albums, outtakes, collections, anniversary editions, bootlegs, lp rips, better quality cd rips.... I cant even remember how many different versions of dark side of the moon I have:))

music for nostalgia, music you still love, music you are learning to love, music you want to try....

manav/prem/others

STEVE WINWOOD
A good man to explore. For his solo work. And for his work with various groups. During my most passionate years of listening to rock music, I and most of my friends considered him the greatest white vocalist of his generation. And Traffic as the finest rock group of them all. My C90 cassette of The GO Sessions was one of my most prized possessions. Also Arc Of A Diver and Low Sparks Of The High Heeled Boys.

-Spencer Davis Group
Eight Gigs a Week: The Steve Winwood Years - The Spencer Davis Group | AllMusic

-Traffic
John Barleycorn Must Die
The Low Sparks Of The High Heeled Boys
Shootout At The Fantasy Factory
Where The Eagle Flies
Mr.Fantasy
Last Exit
Amazon.com: traffic vinyl: Music

-Blind Faith
The Blind Faith Website

-GO
Go
Go Live From Paris
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Live-Paris-Stomu-Yamashta/dp/B001F4YSXA/ref=pd_sim_m_h__3
http://www.allmusic.com/album/complete-go-sessions-r927277
If this can be found in vinyl, it would truly be a treasure! Albums worth begging, borrowing or stealing!

Steve Winwood (Solo)
Arc Of A Diver
Talking Back To The Night
Back In The High Life

One of the greatest, absolutely essential rock solo albums-
Amazon.com: Arc of a Diver [Vinyl]: Steve Winwood: Music

Heard this music today after 20 odd years. Made the hair on my arms stand up. Sent a tingle up my spine. Winwood in Crossing The Line is possibly the high watermark for a white rock vocalist. And AL Di Meola, Stomu Yamastha, Michael Shrieve.... AH! Memories of a golden age. Thank You YOUTUBE! :)

YouTube - ‪STOMU YAMASHTA Go Live From Paris 1 - 2 - 3‬‏
YouTube - ‪Stomu Yamashta - Crossing The Line‬‏

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back