How many albums does one need

@Ajay: Bro! I love Stevie Winwood! I have a lot of his stuff, right from Blind Faith, Traffic to the terrific solo albums!

@ manav : that's nicest way to go about collecting music.
@ ajay : Thanks, I like Steve winwood, but only exposure I have is 'Roll with it' and ' Higher love'.

(In fact, pretty soon, a whole lot of vinyl that I have culled out will be up for grabs!)
When bro ??? :licklips:
well hiten that's what I attempted with my 'great tasting vinyl' thread....
Yes, That's why didn't started the thread as we already have Hindustani, South Indian, Right now listening to, Western Classical, Most Popular Western classical, top ten...etc. But would be great if obscure little known artist or songs are added to it.
@Ajay: Bro! I love Stevie Winwood! I have a lot of his stuff, right from Blind Faith, Traffic to the terrific solo albums!
Now that's a surprise ! :D :eek:hyeah:

But would be great if obscure little known artist or songs are added to it.

Please try Jeff Buckley. His only real studio album is Grace. A masterpiece, if you ask me. He's certainly obscure but that doesn't take away one bit his brilliance. There is another album of outtakes done in his bedroom and other non-studio environments where he'd played most of the instruments himself. These sessions were later polished up posthumously by his band and released. Incidentally, his father is Tim Buckley who was a respected singer in his own right.
Joshua

It's so much easier to buy good music now, than it was when I was in college in the early 80's. Apart from the fact that I was completely dependent on the local music shops for buying music, a bigger obstacle was, that there was no way of discovering new music, except by constantly buying more and more, and keeping what I liked, and disposing off what I didn't. There was no internet or frame of reference to learn from. I was always pushing for 'change' while the folks I knew, were quite happy listening to what everyone else was listening to. I ain't got nobody, that I can depend on!

But now it takes me roughly 15-30 minutes to dig out the entire history of any recording. For instance take an iconic album like GO Live In Paris '78. Ask a shopkeeper or a friend, and you will probably come up with zilch, nada, nothing. But a quick search on Google and You Tube will yield plenty of info, and you will actually be able to listen to the music.

Go Live from Paris - Stomu Yamashta's Go | AllMusic
Stomu Yamashta's Go - Go Live From Paris (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs
JJ's Jazz & Such: Stormu Yamashta-GO-Live in Paris [1976~77]

In the light of the ocean of info available on the internet, there is really no reason to be running blind. As to the question of how many albums does a man need, I do not believe in carrying the burden of thousands of albums ( mostly gathering dust ) along with me. 500 is more than enough. 200 is more than enough. 100 is more than enough. But they have to be 'brilliant' cut diamonds and not ersatz :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back