How quickly I should change my M97XE Cartridge?

jay

Hi,

I am using a Shure M97XE Cartridge for my Technics 1200 MK2 Turntable.Both the cartridges and TT are bought brand new.

I do keep cleaning my cartridge with cartridge cleaning liquid quite frequently,atleast once every day before I use the TT.

My question is how frequently I should change my cartridge / stylus to get optimum output? On an average say I play anything between 6 - 10 hours a month.

Pls suggest.

Hi,

I am using a Shure M97XE Cartridge for my Technics 1200 MK2 Turntable.Both the cartridges and TT are bought brand new.

I do keep cleaning my cartridge with cartridge cleaning liquid quite frequently,atleast once every day before I use the TT.

My question is how frequently I should change my cartridge / stylus to get optimum output? On an average say I play anything between 6 - 10 hours a month.

Pls suggest.

Theoretically speaking..I think 1000 hours (from whatever i've read over the internet about this cart). At the rate you're going it should last you at least 8 years :D

However, practically speaking..i'm not sure..other FMs might tell you more from experience. As long as you take care of your cart, the cart i think should last atleast 500 hours. And I don't think any cleaning fluid is necessary. Just use that brush that would've come along with the cart (the correct way). That is more than sufficient i think..fluid maybe once in a few months you can use. Not daily!. Just align it properly, set a proper tracking weight, don't play dirty records, and i think that should be enough.

Last edited:
My father used an American Shure M75-6 from the early 1970s, its original stylus was so well built that it lasted until 2010 when I passed it on (in splendid working condition). The cart played pristine all those years till I passed it on.

Theoretically speaking..I think 1000 hours (from whatever i've read over the internet about this cart). At the rate you're going it should last you at least 8 years :D

However, practically speaking..i'm not sure..other FMs might tell you more from experience. As long as you take care of your cart, the cart i think should last atleast 500 hours. And I don't think any cleaning fluid is necessary. Just use that brush that would've come along with the cart (the correct way). That is more than sufficient i think..fluid maybe once in a few months you can use. Not daily!. Just align it properly, set a proper tracking weight, don't play dirty records, and i think that should be enough.

Yes I do use the Black Brush quite regularly brushing it very carefully stroking it in one direction.Reason why I use the fluid is it helps in releasing all dust particles in the stylus.

Does regular usage of the stylus cleaning liquid affect the stylus?

at the end of the day, I think there are 3 simple ground rules when it comes to lastability.

1) Electronics manufactured these days are not built to last, expected life span is around 2-3 years, if not 4-5 years. The golden period considered (when equipment was built like tanks) by many is between 1972 and 1983. Turntables manufactured in the 1950 to late 1960s are the most robust and long lasting.
2) It all depends on how careful you are and how you handle your equipment. The more careful and orthodox you are (especially in relation to cleaning, operating and maintenance), the longer your equipment will last
3) Equipment being expensive does not necessarily mean that its built to last. the more expensive the equipment, the more precision and delicate it is likely to be. For example, I've had friends run their NAK decks to the death saying, "my deck is very expensive so its built like a tank". This is a hugely misintepretted scenario. They often came back crying that a el-cheapo Akai or Sony deck lasted longer than their expensive Naks.

Excessive use of cleaning fluid could dilute the glue used to bond the stylus with the cantilever. If your records are clean, you're unlikely to need more than the occasional brush job maybe once a week or so. Fluid is advisable only if the stylus is so gunked up that the brush itself cannot dislodge the dirt. It's also best to remove any excess fluid with a dry brush.

As for the original question, an MM cartridge can go on for ages (I've used my Shure V15VxMR since '97), and you only need to change the stylus every few years depending on the hours of use. If properly aligned at 90 degrees on a perfectly levelled TT, the diamond is unlikely to get worn out or chipped - after all, it is the hardest stuff in the world. A misaligned stylus will only damage the grooves on a record, but a worn record will not damage a correctly aligned stylus. The main reason for needing to replace a stylus is the age-related wear and tear of the rubber suspension at the end of the cantilever that will ultimately reduce the 'bounce' of the cantilever, not stylus damage itself. It's important not to get too paranoid about these things, tho'.

Excessive use of cleaning fluid could dilute the glue used to bond the stylus with the cantilever. If your records are clean, you're unlikely to need more than the occasional brush job maybe once a week or so. Fluid is advisable only if the stylus is so gunked up that the brush itself cannot dislodge the dirt. It's also best to remove any excess fluid with a dry brush.

As for the original question, an MM cartridge can go on for ages (I've used my Shure V15VxMR since '97), and you only need to change the stylus every few years depending on the hours of use. If properly aligned at 90 degrees on a perfectly levelled TT, the diamond is unlikely to get worn out or chipped - after all, it is the hardest stuff in the world. A misaligned stylus will only damage the grooves on a record, but a worn record will not damage a correctly aligned stylus. The main reason for needing to replace a stylus is the age-related wear and tear of the rubber suspension at the end of the cantilever that will ultimately reduce the 'bounce' of the cantilever, not stylus damage itself. It's important not to get too paranoid about these things, tho'.

Thanks G401fan. Very informative and detailed.

+1 to this, any cleaning fluid with alcoholic base can dilute the adhesive and cause the diamond tip to detach from the cantilever. Its always advisable to clean dry, use the wet method only in emergencies. Prevention (play clean records) is always better than cure in this case.

Regular use of liquid makes rubber suspension hard over time.Aluminium cantilever also suffers from corrosion caused by liquid.

Regards,
Sachin

Regular use of liquid makes rubber suspension hard over time.Aluminium cantilever also suffers from corrosion caused by liquid.

Regards,
Sachin

+1 to that. Excessive liquid rides up the cantilever by capillary action and makes contact with the rubber suspension. Since cleaning fluids typically have alcohol content, such contact with the synthetic rubber ring is a sure recipe for damage. You need just the minimal amount of fluid to make contact with the stylus tip, and a dry brush to soak up any excess.

How about the gel-based cleaners? Are they less harmful? Or are they equally bad as fluids? I use gel very, very rarely. I don't have fluid cleaner. I rely mainly on the brush that came with M44-7 (IIRC) to brush off dirt or fiber that gets stuck to the stylus.

How about the gel-based cleaners? Are they less harmful? Or are they equally bad as fluids? I use gel very, very rarely. I don't have fluid cleaner. I rely mainly on the brush that came with M44-7 (IIRC) to brush off dirt or fiber that gets stuck to the stylus.

I am cleaning my stylus ( also LPs ) with a special super soft brush. If you are interested i can send a new one through my person.

To add more question in this thread

Is it advisable to change the stylus or change the cart itself? Stylus is not cheap either. For example stylus of my Signet TK4ep cost around ~$50 in US. But for $69 or so I can get Shure Mx97e cart.

I am cleaning my stylus ( also LPs ) with a special super soft brush. If you are interested i can send a new one through my person.

Thanks for the offer, Shafic. That's very kind of you. May be I will get it from you in person whenever we can meet up.

Is this gel or liquid?
Its dry sponge,made by Melamine fibers(?)
Here are some reviews :
Finally tried the Magic Eraser - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Turntable Forum • Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
You need to cue down stylus on it and just lift it,same method like Onzow Zerodust.
I bought mine from Ebay.com
You need original without any extra additive.This is the one I have Mr Clean Magic Eraser Original Pack of 2 Free Shipping | eBay
One pack should last you forever.I have no affiliation with seller.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks a lot.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back