How quickly I should change my M97XE Cartridge?

To add more question in this thread

Is it advisable to change the stylus or change the cart itself? Stylus is not cheap either. For example stylus of my Signet TK4ep cost around ~$50 in US. But for $69 or so I can get Shure Mx97e cart.

With an MM cartridge, a replacement stylus is typically 80% of the cost of the new cartridge itself. The costlier precision elements - stylus tip, cantilever, suspension - are all within the replacement itself. The rest is just the body, the induction coils, and the wiring to the four connectors, which don't cost much. Your call.

With a replacement stylus, it's advisable not to pull it out and push it back in (as some folks do, for cleaning) too often, as that might ultimately loosen the fit within the cartridge body. Any looseness or vibration would impact trackability of the stylus. For this reason, some manufacturers - like Clearaudio - make their MM carts with fixed, non-replaceable styli. Some vinyl addicts actually apply superglue to the outside of the sylus insert assembly to rule out even the slightest bit of vibration. Needless to add, they need a full new cartridge once the stylus lifespan runs out.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back