How reliable are Philips LCDs

nitinbose

Hi Everyone,

I'm shopping for an LCD TV - Full HD LCD TV.

I'd come across Philips 47" LCD at about 70K... However, because I havent seen anyone mention about them, am abit skeptical about considering Philips.

Can some member advice me on the quality of Philips LCD, and whether or not to go for it?

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi Everyone,

I'm shopping for an LCD TV - Full HD LCD TV.

I'd come across Philips 47" LCD at about 70K... However, because I havent seen anyone mention about them, am abit skeptical about considering Philips.

Can some member advice me on the quality of Philips LCD, and whether or not to go for it?

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hello,

Very good
I am using their 42PFL9703.
Better than Sony.
Apart from HD, SD also good.
They dont advertise much.
But top of the line 9000 series oustanding
Thanks

Philips LCD 2009 are good ,but there service is to poor.

Good -on what basis?
Anyway read my earlier posts -Philips and mainly it's home entertainment division is not at all doing well in India,Europe or US -In US philips sold their brand to Funai!

In places like mumbai placement or availabality of philips LCD & CRT is diminishing - It is available sometimes but contineous availabality -I have not seen!( Seasonally you can see some LCD in promotion -and then they are not there...)
70 K is a lot of amount ,for me at least and it is wise to spend more but get a reliable brand with good presence.

IMHO the new electronic gadgets are not well constructed and there are good chances something goes wrong -in this case good after sales service comes in picture ....Here people had bad expereinces with samsung and Lg - but post some followup and time they got refund/replacement ! ( I know many Indian companies bluntly refuse this ....the owners should be greatful!)
That is why put your money on reliable and good selling brand!

Well I said good(not better) on hifi recommendation.There one set is grouptest winner.

This magzines do not consider long term ownership -and esp what hi-fi is published in India but it's head is in UK!
Really don't know whether they've tested Philips in India...

dont get carried away by markret feedback.
As I said they do not advertise and take
marketing seriously atleast in India.
Go to Europe. You will here see only Philips.
Do not forget Philips are the pioneers in many
of the products including LCD's.
Their matchline series was a winner.
Any day it can take on Sony.
9000 series especially the 9700 ones
are the best.
Go thru reviews as someone said buy
Philips blindly.
Sony has lot of hype in India and
not VFM.
Thanks

dont get carried away by markret feedback.
As I said they do not advertise and take
marketing seriously atleast in India.
Go to Europe. You will here see only Philips.
Do not forget Philips are the pioneers in many
of the products including LCD's.
Their matchline series was a winner.
Any day it can take on Sony.
9000 series especially the 9700 ones
are the best.
Go thru reviews as someone said buy
Philips blindly.
Sony has lot of hype in India and
not VFM.
Thanks

The cause of concern is they are not marketing....
Can any other towners confirm how many philips lcd they've seen ? and seen regularly like Samsung,LG,Sony & off late Panasonic...

While I was in industry I sawtheir presence in LCD/CRT reducing ( In all the metroes)..least in mumbai many counters like Reliance Digital & Croma philips availabality is on & off ( recent croma scheme was for short time ,the limited stock was sold out and I've not seen philips after that!)

Now some brands may be great in other parts of world ( Like Sharp,Toshiba etc) but Indian market is different.If a brand is not havin sufficient presence it's sales volume is low ...and IMHO service spending is proportional to sales volume - If a comapany is selling 1000's of LCD's like LG or samsung it is ready to even replace a faulty piece as that replacement is fractional to their turnover ....I raelly want to see what are the service policies of limited sales products like Hitachi,Sharp or Toshiba ....or philisps.

As I say 70 K is big amount for me ,I really want ask the person who put forward the question that how important for him . As In 70 K as much as picture quality I place importance to peace of mind for next 4 years ( you see unlike many people I am not considering LCD life for next 7-8 years!) Post first year of warentee I want some assurance that some kind of service and parts availabality will be there ...and a comapany having far bigger market share is better equipped

I can tell you that HP - Compaq may not be NO 1 in quality -but No 1 in India ( 60-65%) market share and best in service...Buy HP anywhere in the WORLD and HP india Honour warentee ( Onkyo Take Note) also generally part are available nex day or with 1 day gap..generally no /very less questions are asked and they honour warentee with serial number without papers!

I like peace of mind it gives and that is why using my 5 Th HP lapton in 7 Years ! I've seen toshiba owners waiting for parts for a month ( as parts are shipped after checking from SG) think of downtime!

Philps may be big in europe ( not anymore in US) ,but if a brand is not available in my egion or it is not marketed properly ,I feel the brand does not deserve me!

P.S.- People have taken risk on Daewoo in its last days - th fate of Matiz is well known -Now auto sites are buzzing what happens to GM india if GM US goes kaupt ( In July 09 Industry sales was UP by 31% while GM-India's sale was DOWN by 10%
Maruti posts sales of 1.15 lakh cars in July- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times )

Good -on what basis?
Anyway read my earlier posts -Philips and mainly it's home entertainment division is not at all doing well in India,Europe or US -In US philips sold their brand to Funai!

In places like mumbai placement or availabality of philips LCD & CRT is diminishing - It is available sometimes but contineous availabality -I have not seen!( Seasonally you can see some LCD in promotion -and then they are not there...)
70 K is a lot of amount ,for me at least and it is wise to spend more but get a reliable brand with good presence.

IMHO the new electronic gadgets are not well constructed and there are good chances something goes wrong -in this case good after sales service comes in picture ....Here people had bad expereinces with samsung and Lg - but post some followup and time they got refund/replacement ! ( I know many Indian companies bluntly refuse this ....the owners should be greatful!)
That is why put your money on reliable and good selling brand!

Good in every aspect. I am surprised that a Home Entertainment buff like you does not line up Philips as a priority. Where do you think Marantz has come from? It was their Hi Fidelity division that is now Marantz. I will agree that the engineers are now different. They have several firsts & their Matchline Series of TV simply trash over priced Sony television sets.

Philips have never done well in any market & any time. Its because they have very poor marketing. Its actually hope less.

I am aware of Funai taking over their AV electronics divisions but that in no way means the products are not up to the mark. Funai have already been given the task of doing all the R&D for Philips TVs.

I am not one bit worried if Philips presence is weak in India or even the rest of the world. They will be around & will be bought only by the few who know their products & I suppose thats all Philips is looking at.

A 47" Philips Full HD TV for 70K is not a lot of money. The competition also sells stuff at the same range & some a lot higher.

I don't know any one brand that has good reputation when it comes to service. I have had bitter experiences with Sony & Philips but I will still buy their products. I do not know if this applies for the rest of the world but in India you need to fight for your rights to get things done & this is a problem with every brand available. Some of the shipped products turn out defective & ends up with a customer. Not one manufacturer has a policy put forward to their service centers or useless dealers to replace something with a genuine manufacturing defect.

Take a look a Philips service network on their website. Every corner of the country is covered. You can't ask for more.

Please do not discount a Philips just because you don't find them among the wish lists of people or do not find their adverts. They make stunning stuff.

In the last one year I have bought 3 TVs and all were Panasonic (CRT, LCD, & Plasma). If there was any other brand I considered apart from Panasonic then it was Philips. I am not really a fan of the Koreans so LG and Samsung are ruled out as far as I'm concerned. Sony does make great products but none of them really are VFM. They are way too overpriced when compared with other brands.

Coming to warranty, I will pray that any product purchased will last a while and not require any servicing. Service is pathetic from every company and not just Philips.

However a word of caution too. Some Philips products do have a knack of getting into trouble. Their HTIB HTS 4750 has the most number of complaints for any HTIB on this forum and that too for newly purchased products. I've not heard any complaints for other Philips products but that's because not many of them are purchased I suppose.

So am I saying yes or no? Well neither. Consider all options and make an informed decision since you have to live with it. For me at least in TVs Panasonic comes out top, but Philips is in 2nd position compared to all other brands especially in the LCD segment.

as already mentioned philips servicing/customer care facilities are absolutely non-existent. so if u have any problems with any philips device, chances are u will have to "carry" ur device to the nearest service centre.

something which i had to do for my home theatre and it was a pain!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back