How to choose the right turntable?

Wow that looks like long journey. The fact is I doesn't want to rush it, but who knows once everything is set I might tempted to buy more Vinyls.
Hi
SEBI
Choice of audio gears is entirely subjective as is the choice of genre in music .To be precise and pointed some like vinyl,some may want cd or some others find it easy to go along the streaming route and then comes which company an individual wants to have. But the choice is personal. This is even true in case of music. Now coming back to your opinion, vinyl is wonderful and I think (this is my personal opinion and I don't invite any argument) you can't but like it. Once you buy vinyls either new or pre-owned ( if you are ok with the used ones) you will have celestial pleasure. I can remember how I liked to see our HMV fiesta sing in my childhood. Even now I listen to different kinds of music( mostly Indian classical) playing turntable and feel a mental peace. Keeping in mind experience varies ,I can say that vinyls will surely win your mind and you will like it. When you have decided to walk along this route, go ahead without any negative attitude and please don't forget to share your feelings in this forum.
Cheers

HI Guys,
I'm new to turntable pls go easy on me, Always fascinated in getting a turntable and with lack of knowledge I find it difficult to choose it.
Can you guys guide me in choosing the turntable.
Thanks
What music do you listen to?
I think, for most western and recent Indian music, CDs are good enough. Even a good streaming site would suffice.
It is practically only for old Hindi film and possibly Indian classical music that CDs and streaming of good quality are not easily available.
Unfortunately, all vinyl sellers are making hay while the sun shines :( and prices are very high compared to CDs and streaming.
Then, the ancilliaries like setting up and maintaining the turntable, cleaning and storing the vinyl also add to the woes of a vinyl setup.
It would be best for you to listen to the same music on vinyl and CD/streaming somewhere and see if the difference in price and convenience is justifiable to you.

If you spend about 30k, get a Pioneer PLX-500. In my view, this thing will beat any of the entry level Rega, Project's and pretty much anything at a similar price point. Its upgrade friendly too so when you feel like getting a better cartridge, it can accommodate that. I also feel that for some taking first steps into Vinyl, should start with a direct drive as there is little that can go wrong.

The used space for turntables is alright provided you have access to someone who can sort it out for you, in the event something fails.

NO, I don't have LP records, as you said will start with new records instead of the used one

For the Golden time (60's & 70's) songs, please don't buy the newly released records as you wouldn't get the same organic analog sound quality ( Price of the newly released records are not cheap). In worst case, you would get the Originally released old records in VG++ or in Excellent condition at the price of the 75% of the newly released records. If you use a spherical or conical stylus carts like Shure M44-7 or Nagaoka MP100 then you will be satisfied. Try to get the Direct Drive TTs for stable rpm. Don't neglect to collect the 7" EP, SP records. We can find the Very rare songs in 7". Don't loose the chance when you see any Excellent condition Vintage TT, even it's 110v (you can use a quality step down 220-110v external adapter). Taking care of the records is very very important by cleaning and replacing the new sleeves. Wish you best of Luck.

Hi
Sunder
I would like to second your opinion. The newly released vinyls are not as good as the older ones. Recently I have bought an LP of Sholay online but the pressing or recording is horrible. It seems to be digitally processed and I don't like it. But I have the EP of the same movie and it is nice and way better than the new. May be some other new Lps are good but the oldies are simply superb. The only problem is to collect them in pristine condition. Another thing is the sellers of old vinyls demand hefty amount. In Kolkata Humshakal(Rajesh Khanna) was priced at Rs 5000 and ngh.in demands the double!. Now coming back to OP, one should have patience and time for vinyls as it is not plug and play affair. If one devotes time and be patient then vinyls will be cherished by him for ever.
Regards
Bhaskar

Hi
SEBI
Choice of audio gears is entirely subjective as is the choice of genre in music .To be precise and pointed some like vinyl,some may want cd or some others find it easy to go along the streaming route and then comes which company an individual wants to have. But the choice is personal. This is even true in case of music. Now coming back to your opinion, vinyl is wonderful and I think (this is my personal opinion and I don't invite any argument) you can't but like it. Once you buy vinyls either new or pre-owned ( if you are ok with the used ones) you will have celestial pleasure. I can remember how I liked to see our HMV fiesta sing in my childhood. Even now I listen to different kinds of music( mostly Indian classical) playing turntable and feel a mental peace. Keeping in mind experience varies ,I can say that vinyls will surely win your mind and you will like it. When you have decided to walk along this route, go ahead without any negative attitude and please don't forget to share your feelings in this forum.
Cheers
Cheers mate.Will share my experience for sure.

What music do you listen to?
I think, for most western and recent Indian music, CDs are good enough. Even a good streaming site would suffice.
It is practically only for old Hindi film and possibly Indian classical music that CDs and streaming of good quality are not easily available.
Unfortunately, all vinyl sellers are making hay while the sun shines :( and prices are very high compared to CDs and streaming.
Then, the ancilliaries like setting up and maintaining the turntable, cleaning and storing the vinyl also add to the woes of a vinyl setup.
It would be best for you to listen to the same music on vinyl and CD/streaming somewhere and see if the difference in price and convenience is justifiable to you.
Agree, so for my music source is mostly through streaming and experience with CD lisiting is in the past.Lot had changed from then and now.Will give a try on listening same song in both formate but since I already decided to take this route I doubt any difference would make point.
My decision to go with TT is mostly attributed to the nostalgic feeling of good old days when my father used to play all those old Lp's.

If you spend about 30k, get a Pioneer PLX-500. In my view, this thing will beat any of the entry level Rega, Project's and pretty much anything at a similar price point. Its upgrade friendly too so when you feel like getting a better cartridge, it can accommodate that. I also feel that for some taking first steps into Vinyl, should start with a direct drive as there is little that can go wrong.

The used space for turntables is alright provided you have access to someone who can sort it out for you, in the event something fails.
Sure mate will have a look at Pioneer PLX - 500,thanks for the suggestion.

For the Golden time (60's & 70's) songs, please don't buy the newly released records as you wouldn't get the same organic analog sound quality ( Price of the newly released records are not cheap). In worst case, you would get the Originally released old records in VG++ or in Excellent condition at the price of the 75% of the newly released records. If you use a spherical or conical stylus carts like Shure M44-7 or Nagaoka MP100 then you will be satisfied. Try to get the Direct Drive TTs for stable rpm. Don't neglect to collect the 7" EP, SP records. We can find the Very rare songs in 7". Don't loose the chance when you see any Excellent condition Vintage TT, even it's 110v (you can use a quality step down 220-110v external adapter). Taking care of the records is very very important by cleaning and replacing the new sleeves. Wish you best of Luck.
Cheers mate, lot of inputs to start with and will take all those into consideration.
Let me know is it best idea to get the TT from US? my friend would be returning shortly and I assume I need step down transformer but is it worth the hassle.

Hi
Sunder
I would like to second your opinion. The newly released vinyls are not as good as the older ones. Recently I have bought an LP of Sholay online but the pressing or recording is horrible. It seems to be digitally processed and I don't like it. But I have the EP of the same movie and it is nice and way better than the new. May be some other new Lps are good but the oldies are simply superb. The only problem is to collect them in pristine condition. Another thing is the sellers of old vinyls demand hefty amount. In Kolkata Humshakal(Rajesh Khanna) was priced at Rs 5000 and ngh.in demands the double!. Now coming back to OP, one should have patience and time for vinyls as it is not plug and play affair. If one devotes time and be patient then vinyls will be cherished by him for ever.
Regards
Bhaskar
HI Basker Ji,
Once I decided to take this route I had already fixed in my mind that this will be long journey also I'm taking my baby step into this Vinyls so I have to be patience with my approach.

Let me know is it best idea to get the TT from US?
Why not? You may get a finely used and well cared vintage TT at a reasonable price. Yes, you can get a fine quality step down transformers. Here our forum members will suggest for that.

Not a turntable guy myself but the one in the link below seems to be a solid performer at about 990 euros. Comes with in-built phone stage built around the included ortofon 2m red. Maybe this is a good entry level option. It is the Audiophile version of 1210 mk7 ( pro )

Why not? You may get a finely used and well cared vintage TT at a reasonable price. Yes, you can get a fine quality step down transformers. Here our forum members will suggest for that.
Where to find those ? So I can ask friend to check it, but my worry is, like me he clearly lacks knowledge on TT.

Not a turntable guy myself but the one in the link below seems to be a solid performer at about 990 euros. Comes with in-built phone stage built around the included ortofon 2m red. Maybe this is a good entry level option. It is the Audiophile version of 1210 mk7 ( pro )

I don't think my budget wouldn't permits me to get it, I was looking in the budget range of 30-40 max.

I heard a few MC setups, they had a distinct awesome sound over MM.
yogibear, it's said that : MC will amaze only with very few and very expensive phono preamps. A very best MM phono pre which may not be matched to a MC cart.

Let me know is it best idea to get the TT from US? my friend would be returning shortly and I assume I need step down transformer but is it worth the hassle.

Not worth it. I say this as it is a headache if something were to go wrong during transit. I would worry less if it was solid state electronics.

When there are over a dozen options and brands available in India, distribution and dealer channels in place, why bother going abroad. Yes; you will pay more but you can't fault the dealer for that. That is the unfortunate result of our import duties. I will admit that support is still bad with most dealers but you have someone to fall back on. You import a used turntable, you will be at the mercy of email and phone calls to sort out a problem. I imagine this purchase is long term. With this being your first turntable, why take chances.

Also; I do not recommend buying Hi Fi components off Amazon India or any e commerce site, unless it is sold by someone involved in the distribution of the product. If there is a way to get hold of the product distributor directly, then deal direct. Their prices will be slightly lower than what Amazon list.

Not worth it. I say this as it is a headache if something were to go wrong during transit. I would worry less if it was solid state electronics.

When there are over a dozen options and brands available in India, distribution and dealer channels in place, why bother going abroad. Yes; you will pay more but you can't fault the dealer for that. That is the unfortunate result of our import duties. I will admit that support is still bad with most dealers but you have someone to fall back on. You import a used turntable, you will be at the mercy of email and phone calls to sort out a problem. I imagine this purchase is long term. With this being your first turntable, why take chances.

Also; I do not recommend buying Hi Fi components off Amazon India or any e commerce site, unless it is sold by someone involved in the distribution of the product. If there is a way to get hold of the product distributor directly, then deal direct. Their prices will be slightly lower than what Amazon list.
Makes lot of sense.Also I never buy/bought electronics through Amazon to Flipkart and never felt confident enough in getting it thorough them.

yogibear, it's said that : MC will amaze only with very few and very expensive phono preamps. A very best MM phono pre which may not be matched to a MC cart.
I would agree, there are good MMs and good MCs and to get an MC to work well needs more investment hence better to stick with MM when one starts.
For an MC cart to work well you need to match the impedance very well else the sound signature changes..MM is far simpler.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back