How to choose the right turntable?

Hi Kbhuvi,

Thanks for the detailed writing.Yep as you said, I would do my own research on the information shared by members.
If you ask me now to choose between automatic or manual I would go with automatic route, though I have no idea what would it cost me.
Manual TTs are usually batter, less components so o additional noise. Most high end tts are manual.

Regards
Sachin

If you ask me look for fully manual ke semi auto vintage TTs. They are much better than today's plastic TT. You should be able to get a decent vintage tt within 20k , another 5k for a good entry level MM cart like AT 95. You should also get a outboard phonostage. The onboard phonostage usually don't sound good. There are so many DIY options for phonostage. You can build a truly good analog system(TT) within 30k.

Regards
Sachin

better to stick with MM when one starts.
arj, yes I agree, for us, as we mostly listening Indian music, it's easily possible with average recording quality, and mostly available above average condition of the records, then better to stick with MM. MC is highly revealing nature. Thanks.

Dear Sebi,

If you have anyone coming down from the US then look to get one from there. A lot of options and better pricing.
Fluance has launched a range of TTs which has got good reviews.
If not the Pro ject debut carbon with the Ortofon 2M cartridge is a very good option.
As far as buying new / used vinyls, upgrading the TT etc, i guess you will learn the ropes as you go along.

If at any point you feel its not for you then you will not face much difficulty in disposing your TT & vinyls at a good price.

HI Guys,
I'm new to turntable pls go easy on me, Always fascinated in getting a turntable and with lack of knowledge I find it difficult to choose it.
Can you guys guide me in choosing the turntable.
Thanks
You have already received a lot of valuable advice from fellow FMs. I wanted to share a few humble perspectives (rather, mistakes to avoid :)) since I started on the same journey some years ago. These are about buying vinyl - not the turntable. Not all of these might be relevant to you.

- It's easy to fall into the trap of buying any vinyl you can lay your hands on, when you are starting out, irrespective of whether it has music you are going to listen to or not. Given the scarcity of old vinyl records in India, this is bound to happen.

- When you are looking for a particular record, and you find somebody selling it for an exhorbitant price, please wait. Resist the urge to pay even if you have the money, and even if your brain tells you you might never get this again. You will find the same record(s) you are looking for, at a good, affordable price, one day. But it will take time.

- An obvious one - once a record is scratched, there is no going back. And little things can scratch it - a bump on the rack that makes the needle jump, or somebody handling it carelessly.

- If you are looking for Bollywood music, you are better off with the original releases (with a few exceptions). New Bollywood vinyl is just for making money. Also beware of sellers on Amazon, OLX, and most of the online stores selling old vinyl. Nobody follows any grading system.

You have already received a lot of valuable advice from fellow FMs. I wanted to share a few humble perspectives (rather, mistakes to avoid :)) since I started on the same journey some years ago. These are about buying vinyl - not the turntable. Not all of these might be relevant to you.

- It's easy to fall into the trap of buying any vinyl you can lay your hands on, when you are starting out, irrespective of whether it has music you are going to listen to or not. Given the scarcity of old vinyl records in India, this is bound to happen.

- When you are looking for a particular record, and you find somebody selling it for an exhorbitant price, please wait. Resist the urge to pay even if you have the money, and even if your brain tells you you might never get this again. You will find the same record(s) you are looking for, at a good, affordable price, one day. But it will take time.

- An obvious one - once a record is scratched, there is no going back. And little things can scratch it - a bump on the rack that makes the needle jump, or somebody handling it carelessly.

- If you are looking for Bollywood music, you are better off with the original releases (with a few exceptions). New Bollywood vinyl is just for making money. Also beware of sellers on Amazon, OLX, and most of the online stores selling old vinyl. Nobody follows any grading system.
Yep lot of valuable inputs from our fellow members and I thank each and everyone.
Agree with your points though I'm not in that road yet, once you get the TT the next is Vinyl the urge to get the records and most would fall for it, at time we end up paying hefty price without knowing what we are getting etc.

Great suggestions. I would also add that store your records vertically and not inclined as a few together will add weight and cause warps over a period of time.

Also for highly cherished ones, use rice based sleeves from Japan or MoFi. This prevents scratches big time

Great suggestions. I would also add that store your records vertically and not inclined as a few together will add weight and cause warps over a period of time.

Also for highly cherished ones, use rice based sleeves from Japan or MoFi. This prevents scratches big time
Did you finally buy one?

Its 2 years since I started this thread and now I own a TT(Technics SL-BD20), its an used one bought from the FM at good price got it serviced and working in good condition, started sourcing LP's ,with help FM's managed to get some LP's of regional collections as well mixed collection of Disco and Pop now own close to 40. Also will be sourcing some new LP's from Sing with the help of a friend which should reach me soon.
Right now its connected directly to Marantz 6013 at some point I would get separate Integrated Amp for 2 channel audio.
I would like to thank FM's in this thread and few others who had communicated and helped me in setting up.This is just the beginning of the long journey where I would learn more.

Its 2 years since I started this thread and now I own a TT(Technics SL-BD20), its an used one bought from the FM at good price got it serviced and working in good condition, started sourcing LP's ,with help FM's managed to get some LP's of regional collections as well mixed collection of Disco and Pop now own close to 40. Also will be sourcing some new LP's from Sing with the help of a friend which should reach me soon.
Right now its connected directly to Marantz 6013 at some point I would get separate Integrated Amp for 2 channel audio.
I would like to thank FM's in this thread and few others who had communicated and helped me in setting up.This is just the beginning of the long journey where I would learn more.
Nice TT, simple to use, will serve you faithfully. Enjoy!

From where did u bought this TT, What is FM?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back