How to clean Audio Equipments

sreejithsreedharan

Hi All,

Need your valuable suggestion in cleaning Audio systems.

I have watched a video of Paul- PS Audio, suggesting glass cleaner. Any one else using/ used this method. Will it cause any problem on volume and other controllers. Also, how are you taking care of your speakers.

In my area its bit of dusty- as constructions are happening around, and lots of dust are accumulating over speakers and speaker grill. It is leaving its mark (finger prints like) even after I clean it with cottons.

Speaker stand is also collecting lots of dust and i can see yellowish colour in between the joints.

Please suggest the best way to clean all these stuffs.

Thanks,

Sreejith

Hi All,

Need your valuable suggestion in cleaning Audio systems.

I have watched a video of Paul- PS Audio, suggesting glass cleaner. Any one else using/ used this method. Will it cause any problem on volume and other controllers. Also, how are you taking care of your speakers.

In my area its bit of dusty- as constructions are happening around, and lots of dust are accumulating over speakers and speaker grill. It is leaving its mark (finger prints like) even after I clean it with cottons.

Speaker stand is also collecting lots of dust and i can see yellowish colour in between the joints.

Please suggest the best way to clean all these stuffs.

Thanks,

Sreejith

Please use microfibre cloth to clean speakers, amps etc on regular basis. Also pls try covering the components and speakers with cloth covers after they have cooled down when not in use as it helps a lot & keeps the gear looking as good as new.
I too have a lot of dust issues being on the ground floor & with a playground in front and these measures do prevent the dust from going in to a large extent.

Regards

Thanks Nitin for the reply. Will do that. Any idea- how to remove the existing print/ fungus like dust on speakers and speaker stands.

Thanks,
Sreejith

Most welcome Sreejith. On the speaker grill and stands(if metal & not wood) you can use microfibre cloth with one area moistened very slightly with water. Wipe gently with the moist side & then again with the dry cloth area.
If there is dust on the cone use a very soft camera lens blower brush (images attached) to first blow off the dust & then move the brush area very gently without exerting pressure on the woofer. I wipe the woofer few times a year gently with a micro fibre cloth. But I leave the tweeter alone as it can get depressed inwards & too delicate to touch.
If you clean you equipment regularly at least once or twice a week especially during monsoon you can prevent fungus from forming on it. But certain narrow grooves on the speaker may be difficult to clean where it forms due to the tropical climate.

Attachments

• Camera_blower.PNG
    Camera_blower.PNG
    107 KB · Views: 21
  • micro_fibre_cloth.PNG
    micro_fibre_cloth.PNG
    366.2 KB · Views: 20
I use multiple ways of keeping my stuff clean.

1. I use a heavy duty blower to blow away dust. You have to be careful with the DWB800 as this is a heavy duty blower. There are lower powered blowers available. With the DWB800, I keep a distance from the equipment and blow using slow speed. It takes some practice.

2. Once a month, I disconnect all equipment, inspect them individually, and use IPA where needed to clean contacts and other points. IPA is safe. You can also use a soft brush to reach areas that are difficult to reach. Once you are done with IPA, use a combination of dry brush and soft cloth to clean the area better.

3. The cabinets of electronic equipment are best cleaned with a wet cloth from which you remove as much moisture as possible. There is something called CleanMax Polish made by a Chennai based company called Shah Industries. This is used by nearly every service engineer to clean electronic equipment. It stinks like hell. I use a few drops to 'polish' the cabinets. You can also use a mild version of car polish using a tiny amount. Do NOT use any spray as it can go inside.

4. I clean as much of the cable as I can lay my hands on using a wet cloth. The cable tips are best cleaned with IPA or some form of oxydization remover. DeoxIT is an excellent option, but not available here.

5. All speaker cabinets are best cleaned with wood polish applied gently and repeatedly buffed till the wax/polish completely disappears and a shine appears on the wood.

TO BE CAREFUL

1. Under no circumstances are you to clean the inside of electronics without a service engineer being present. The best you can do, if you are brave, is to remove the cover and blow the dust away.

2. Never use chemicals, even mild ones. If you are using a glass cleaner, again, never spray on the equipment. Spray on a cloth and apply the wet part of the cloth to the cabinet.

3. If the dust has settled hard on the surface, take a small quantity of the CleanMax Polish on a toothbrush and see if that will work. If not, best would be to take it to a service center and see if they can do something.

All the best.

Last edited:
This is what I do:
1. Use a dyson vacuum cleaner (with electronic cleaning attachment) for speaker grills and equipment
2. Then use a micro fiber cloth
3. Sometime spray water on the speaker grills (after taking them off)
4. Use a artist soft paint brush to get rid of the remaining dust and on speaker drivers
5. For electrical contacts to use WD-40 and then DeOxit Gold wipes (ordered from parts-express got delivered in 5 days cost ~7K with customs + shipping)

Wood and contact cleaning is easy. Polish and deoxit should do it. I was also wondering what is the best cleaner for equipment cabinets like brushed metal, painted metal etc.

I was able to pick up a stainless steel cleaner from a tools shop in commercial shop in bangalore for brushed metal ( non painted ).

Last edited:
Wood and contact cleaning is easy. Polish and deoxit should do it. I was also wondering what is the best cleaner for equipment cabinets like brushed metal, painted metal etc.

I was able to pick up a stainless steel cleaner from a tools shop in commercial shop in bangalore for brushed metal ( non painted ).
Back in the day, min cream was used with a soft cloth and wiped gently over the brushed metal surface to give that shine. Now a days you get a wide variety of such products.

This is recommended by gcaudio.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

I am planning to clean the stuffs by this weekend and now in pursuit of purchasing some of the items you all have mentioned. Will update the results as soon as I complete.

Once again, thanks you.

Sreejith

The CleanMax Polish I spoke about is a kind of replacement for Min Cream. I still have a old bottle of Min Cream that I purchased some 10 years ago. That was a superb product, unfortunately not available any more.

I would avoid both stainless steel cleaner and WD-40. Stainless steel cleaners have harsh chemicals meant to remove calcium and lime deposits. They are best used on kitchen sinks and similar items. Most of the stainless steel cleaner's I have used foam when used on any surface. Those are the chemicals going to work.

No one knows the composition of WD-40. But, since it is meant to be a degreaser, I am assuming it has either petroleum jelly or oil, or both. WD-40 always leaves a thin oily coating on surfaces and that is like a magnet for dust. Just spray some on your hand and see. You have to wash your hands with soap a number of times to remove the grease.

Another point I forget to mention is to NEVER use ANY kind of cleaner on monitors and TV screens. Just use a soft cloth dipped in water. Once you remove the dirt, use a soft paper tissue to clean off the coating left by the water. If you see the screen from an angle, you can see the water coating, and you can buff it away with paper tissue. I once used a glass cleaner, and had to replace the panel.

Used this one years ago. It's a white viscous cream.
Hi All,

Just wanted to update- I have cleaned my system using micro fiber cloth and it took off most of the dirt.
I recently moved into a new house and here it seems not much of a problem with dust as its more of a rural area and around my house its most of unused land.
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

Thanks,

Sreejith

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back