How to convert MKV to DVD

I would say 4.3GB to 4.7GB to be precise. (4.7GB will have an additional language)

I normally remove this extra language using MKVmerge to make it 4.37GB and burn on DVD5 and store.

I would say 4.3GB to 4.7GB to be precise. (4.7GB will have an additional language)

I normally remove this extra language using MKVmerge to make it 4.37GB and burn on DVD5 and store.

what do u do the mkv files? delete them?

Yes, I delete them. My friend stores all of them on HDD. So we can turn to each other in case of any problem.:eek:hyeah:

hmm thats sloppy. considering the fact that at some point in time u'll both run out of HD space, considering the trends of these days where a decent mkv file is no less than 5gb.

infact a 1080p Transformers mkv is around 12gb!

My friend is comfortable with HDD. He buys new HDD when he's out of space. We use electronic timers to d/connect & connect modems and schedule IDM for free night plan.

Sloppy? No way!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I don't use HDD anymore as I don't find them feasible, though I have about 1.5TB of movies on HDD. Rest all are on DVDs. I even split large movies into 2-3 discs. But this is individual choice. My friend is comfortable with HDD. He will buy new HDD when he's out of space. Between us we d/l about 9GB/day. Doing that for almost 1.5 years now. We use electronic timers to d/connect & connect modems and schedule IDM for free night plan. Meet on weekly basis to share movies.

Sloppy? No way!:rolleyes:

good! :) hmmm...how much does 1.5 TB HDD cost right now?

@frnd08 - Totally spot on. I've not moved to MKV/HD rips yet for the same reasons as not having h/w that plays MKV files. As of now its only DVDs and Divx rips on my Panasonic PV8 and Philips DVDP. This s/w will be useful for those who are collecting MKV rips but yet not able to watch them right now due to lack of h/w. I guess I'm not that future focussed to start ripping in MKV without even having the h/w for it. I will move to MKV when I get my WDTV/Divx 7 DVDP but then this s/w will be redundant.

I do see a use for this s/w in that I've 3 TVs but only 2 DVDPs that play Divx/Xvid and the 3rd being just a DVDP so I do need copies of my DVDs to play on the 3rd TV/DVDP combo (just so that my original DVDs all bought from U.S. stay secure and don't get scratched), but for this I find using DVD Decrypter to rip the DVDs and making copies of them easier than ripping and re-encoding with ConvertXtoDvd.

I was wondering why are you collecting MKV rips if you don't have the h/w for it. Guess you are future focussed...

Friends,

The exact reason why I started this thread was to explore ways of watching the HD files on my CRT. So in that respect, ConvertXtoDVD satisfies my need.
If AVI files with sizes ranging from 700MB to 2 GB are converted to DVD's there is bound to be some loss in quality, since there is also a conversion from MPEG4 to MPEG2. And as pointed out by moserw, its like converting mp3 to wav.

Compared to avi files, mkv files encoded in H.264 and converted to DVD have Picture Quality that is on par with retail DVD's if not better. I burnt the file converted yesterday, on DVD, and it looks really great on my 29" JVC. Thanks again to moserw for your positive review of JVC products in another of my threads, one of the factors in my decision to go for the JVC.

Regarding collecting MKV rips, you can always back them up on DVDR and watch on your PC. With blank DVD's becoming dirt cheap, why think twice on backing up all your HD files?

All in all, I have found ConvertXtoDVD a very useful and user-friendly application, if you want to watch the file on your CRT. If LCD/Plasma is your forte, better get the WDTV or any other hardware player till DivX 7 certified players hit the market.

Thanks again...

Certainly agree with metalbandit here. The quality of 4GB+ conversions is certainly good and on my Panasonic 29" CRT simply beautiful. Even on the PV8 they are great. Would certainly love to get my hands on an Oppo to see how they look on a Full HD plasma or LCD.

Regarding collecting MKV rips, you can always back them up on DVDR and watch on your PC. With blank DVD's becoming dirt cheap, why think twice on backing up all your HD files?

@metalbandit - I'm just wondering how are you backing up the rips. Most of them are more than a DVD5 size? In fact some of the rips are going to 25-30GB and the average ones are 7-8GB. Dual layer DVDs and Blu-Ray are still not mainstream and also quite expensive. HDD is the only available option it seems. Unless you are collecting rips less than DVD5 size or are you re-encoding the MKV rips to fit them on a DVD?

@metalbandit - I'm just wondering how are you backing up the rips. Most of them are more than a DVD5 size? In fact some of the rips are going to 25-30GB and the average ones are 7-8GB. Dual layer DVDs and Blu-Ray are still not mainstream and also quite expensive. HDD is the only available option it seems. Unless you are collecting rips less than DVD5 size or are you re-encoding the MKV rips to fit them on a DVD?

Most of the rips I have are in 720p and fit easily on a Single Layer DVDR. As you pointed out, some of the 1080p rips are in the range of 10-12 GB; I am yet to figure out an efficient way to back them up :confused:. One way is to split them into 4.7 GB parts and burn, since burning on DL DVD will prove much more expensive.

And I feel its better to leave the bigger rips as they are instead of converting to smaller rips in mkv. I will be converting them to DVD only for watching on the TV. A DVD-RW will definitely prove useful here.

Even if u want to watch it on an LCD, a blu ray rip of DVD5 id quite good, at least way better than retail DVDs. So basically, with a bit of upscaling via your dvd player, you should be fine. dont waste HDD space by storing each and every movie in the mkv format. after all there's no guarantee of the relase of DivX 7 enabled DVD players in the recent future, at least not in India.

after all there's no guarantee of the relase of DivX 7 enabled DVD players in the recent future, at least not in India.

Hey, you never know....

I still remember googling for DivX certified Pioneer DVD players around 4 years ago and they were available then, just not in India. And now, even the low quality brands have DivX/MPEG4 capabilities.

Moreover, if you already have a universal DVDP like the Pioneer 610 or Oppo or CA, then buying the WDTV makes more sense than the Divx7 enabled player.

Hey, you never know....

I still remember googling for DivX certified Pioneer DVD players around 4 years ago and they were available then, just not in India. And now, even the low quality brands have DivX/MPEG4 capabilities.

Moreover, if you already have a universal DVDP like the Pioneer 610 or Oppo or CA, then buying the WDTV makes more sense than the Divx7 enabled player.

true. but if you go for the WDTV, you'll be having the same old storage problem. HDD has limited space, no matter how many TB it has.

Nothing against DVD players per se but, even HDD prices are always on the downward spiral, basically the cost per GB keeps reducing.

I remember buying a Samsung 160 GB for 5.5 K in 2004, and last year I got a 360 GB Seagate for 2950. Ain't that cheap? Same goes for external Hard Drives too. Another advantage of an HDD is that you don't have to compress or convert the original rip.

It all depends on the overall hardware you have. For my setup of a CRT and DVDP, converting the rips to DVD makes more sense than going for WDTV since the TV resolution will never exceed 480i. So I cannot talk of 720p or 1080p.

guys,i was successfully able to convert the MKV to a dvd format still retaining the DTS audio,since the software is trial version,it gives me that stupid water mark,any one tried cracking this thing?

Ok,guys i was able to successfully convert a MKV into DVD-5 format with evry bit of detail preserved and looked good on a 29" CRT. I used this ConvertX to DVD,i tried Rambo 720 DTS(1.5 MBPS) MKV and converted it into DVD,retaining the DTS stream and burned it to a DVD-R. I watched the movies yesterday and it was awesome,i was surprised to see that the movie size was comparitively less than the retail versions.It was 4.1 GB in my case,when u have the typical 4.36 releases. The DTS was at 1.5 MBPS and was a rich experience. This is one hell of a software by the way. I generally use to Dload DVD-R movies from torrents,from now i can actually dload the MKV with DTS and then convert them.

I have converted some files using HandBrake; while the sound is perfect, the video is out of sync and lags behind the audio.

Is there any way to fix this?

Although this is my first post, I really would like to share my experience with you here.

As far as I know, there are as many as four factors that cause the audio-video sync problem:
1. Improper sync in audio-video encoding or video formatting.
2. Poor sync during film production or editing, the film itself is not synchronized
3. Loose sync tolerances in the player.
4. Delay in the external decoder or receiver, such as improper use of conversion software.
If the original FLV video is in A-V sync, there maybe some problems when converting. So this is maybe due to the conversion program you used.

Back