How to determine Bright / Warm / Neutral- Speakers / Amplifiers

But captain why did you bring back a 3 year old zombified thread? :D

Because, I found that a few posts would teach a thing or two to the newbies who have joined the forum recently.:)

I saw it through a link provided in one of the recent threads.

Because, I found that a few posts would teach a thing or two to the newbies who have joined the forum recently.:)

I saw it through a link provided in one of the recent threads.

Nice, there must be lot of informative treasures buried deep inside the forum. We must bring back the best of them for benefit of newbies. :)

BTW if people do not notice the date, they would think 'heliumflight' is still a
animated-gifs-babies-059.gif

:eek:hyeah:

These are terms used by audiophiles and reviewers when they just wish to describe acoustic perception in terms of light and make a newbie doubt if sound is composed of photons!

So what does one do if a component is bright, warm, shut-in, veiled, cold, sheen, tight, loose, harsh, soft, muddy, grainy, etc (God- adjectives and adverbs from thermodynamics, optics, acoustics and even culinary fields!) This is a crazy world truly and 90% of insanity is bestowed on audio reviewers and few audiophiles (only few?) ! Components describes by reviewers as possessing those attributes are all over the market and people buy them. No where is it said which of these attributes is a virtue and which ones are a vice in a system

This is a perfectly scientific world, our world of audiophilia but once in a while black magic and voodoo suddenly makes an appearance

Even cables, RCA jacks, power supply cords are said to assign tonal qualities the artist or sound engineers did not put into originally. A corollary of this is that, power cords and interconnect act as equalizers. My speakers have a slight peak in the 550-700 hz range. Which cable should is use to tame this hump?

BTW I read somewhere that alcohol makes us more forgiving to distortion. Anyone who has tried it? Maybe a couple of beers would act in switching on the Soft Clipping circuitry we seem to have been wired with but is normally in Off position

I think we just need to listen to the system. If it makes you enjoy music thats the one for you. We would not be heading anywhere understanding the etymology of words used by reviewers nor can we do anything about them. They are paid to write reviews. A good system can make you cry, conjure up memories of a past event or make you jump in the room. Music has made me pick up my racquet and head out to play tennis when I was running temperature. I wonder if a review of an amp or speaker would be interesting if it described the mental state into which the listening session put the reviewer into.

Maybe EEGs, ECGs and pulse rate of reviewer should be published along with the usual impedance-frequency, SPL-frequency and phase-frequency graphs of speakers alongside equipment reviews. I feel they would provide more information about the equipment being tested. What say guys?
:cool:

:clapping:

Goodone.....:eek:hyeah:

So, What have I learnt?

I have to admit, in the quest of achieving musical nirvana by changing so many setups, I realized that I can't have everything. All these years, I yearned to get memorized into my music, rejuvenate from my hard day's work and be immersed in the music. There was something that made me change so many setups as my ears lacked something but I didn't know how to express or describe it. Until, finally I discovered it. It was not Bright / Warm / Neutral, it was called tonality that I was in search of.

So I ask you my friend that since you will not get all the attributes in your music system, let it be a humble setup or a music system costing few lakhs. I know that each and every one in the this beautiful journey of music wants to get immense joy and drown their sorrows but find out that single adjective (speakers disappear, Timbre, PRaT etc.) that will keep you :lol:. Until you don't hear, you'll never know. You may thing that you know, but that just isn't the case my friend.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back